Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lock & Co.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
great hat

all the Lock&Co. hats I have owned in the past have had a very thick borderline stubborn felt

they were nice fedoras but just not for me

this one looks like the complete opposite of the few I have owned :)

great hat

all the Lock&Co. hats I have owned in the past have had a very thick borderline stubborn felt

they were nice fedoras but just not for me

this one looks like the complete opposite of the few I have owned :)

If it's a velour body, it may have been made on the mainland by one of the other, european felters, like TONAK. Perhaps Steve will weigh in.

V. R. on the paper label appears to be the maker. The wording (Clase, Negro) are Spanish so it's probably Valera Ricci S.A. of Barcelona. It's possible they sourced the felt. It's size 6 1/2 Point so 7 1/2 US.

Kelly's Directory Of Merchants, Manufacturers And Shippers, 1963

23690928041_e220d2bb36_o.jpg

Mentioned here. Valera - Ricci were Italians.

http://www.stayinbcn.com/distritos-y-barrios/sant-andreu/la-sagrera/historia

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Steve! It's a very nice hat body. The finish is velour smooth. Nice uniform felt length. Supple but moldable felt.

B

rogerstg

A-List Customer

they were nice fedoras but just not for me... :)

Owning one that was previously yours, I agree about the felt. It's probably the densest felt of any hat I own, yet it is not stiff from shellac. It yields to a healthy doses of steam and holds the new shape well.

Dense and resistant to change; some would say we're made for each other. I'm lucky that I like it. :)

Last edited:

Gillan

New in Town
24gqdld.jpg
[/IMG]
view.php
view.php
view.php
2z3uquu.jpg
[/IMG]
view.php
view.php

Greetings from England.

I would like to know more about this hat if possible. It looks to be made from real fur, although I'm unable to identify. It is rather short. Could it be mink or rabbit? (If real fur at all).

Made my Lock & Co Hatters. St. James St. London. The oldest Hatters in the World !

There is a tag inside the hat that has since fallen out. I believe this will give us the age. My guess was 1974? - It certainly has that look.

In fantastic overall condition with no faults to outer - Minimal wear to the front crown where from taking on/off only. Some staining to the inner lining and a few splits to the inner sweatband. To be expected I guess. I can't say I've sold one like it. Saw the brand and had to have it.

I look forward to hearing back.

All the best. Gillan

(eBay trader since 2006 at www.retrovintagelove.co.uk)

It could have been sourced (I am sure the felt was). Is the liner glued in? Also does the nap go counter clockwise? It's made of Hare or Hare + Rabbit blend.

Gillan

New in Town
It could have been sourced (I am sure the felt was). Is the liner glued in? Also does the nap go counter clockwise? It's made of Hare or Hare + Rabbit blend.

Thanks for the reply.

It is very soft to the touch. Approx 2/3mm. The inner lining is sewn into the hat. I would say the nap goes counter clockwise , yes.

Regards

Gillan

New in Town
Would I be correct in saying 1974 for the year of manufacture - Going on the tag? Or '69 ...

I was also wondering if this style is sought after ?

I think it's older. It appears to be an open crown hat. Is this the case? What are the open crown and brim dimensions? The Lock & Co logo might give some clue but you would have to search (there isn't much info here on English hat companies). There is no company mark on the paper label so that makes me think the entire hat was sourced (Austrian / Czech / German / ?). I would recommend brushing it counter clockwise with a bit of steam. Start with a shorter hair brush and finish with a long hair brush. It's a longer napped Velour of a higher quality.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto