Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lock & Co.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Since there is no factory left in England that produces hats , most of the stores must import their hats . Lock gets many of their hats from Tonak , Roche(of Spain)and others. Because of the exchage rate , buying a hat in England is crazy. It is almost 2.00 to a pound. So , you paid almost 300.00 for a hat that could be bought here for half the price.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's a interesting shop. When there when I was in london. They no longer block hats though they have a great variety. Walking sticks canes and umbrellas are all about as well as really well made caps.

Worthe a stop.
IMG_8179-vi.jpg

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Looks like a nice trilby.

As for the overpriced comments, take them with a grain of salt. The core members of the Lounge are size 7 1/8 collectors who think unworn vintage hats cost everyone $10. You won't get many nice comments on a new factory hat, or its price, from them. ;)

For the rest of us, "overpriced" is a different concept altogether.

Stoney

Practically Family
I agree, to a point. Price is relative to satisfaction with the product. However,
ya gotta watch that exchange rate!

You need a few more posts to enable private messaging. So get some posting done! Move around the board , not just on hats and post, post, post.

Once you can PM send Mike in Seattle a PM and ask him for about hat buying locally. He knows all the ins and outs, with concern to hat buying, in the Seattle area and can point you in the proper direction.

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
Thanks all. I don't expect to find many vintage hats on eBay to fit my size 7-5/8 head, so I expect I will be mostly purchasing retail or online. I am satisfied with the hat I picked up from Lock & Co. To my eye, it does look to be of high quality compared to others I've purchased and those I've examined in Seattle's one large hat store. My Lock Trilby has also stood up to Seattle's rain with no apparent affect. Slight shrinkage, but a hat jack keeps the size where I need it. I also picked up a very nice Gill cap at Lock last Fall.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
If you are satisfied , thats all that counts. When I was at Lock Hats some years ago ,I was very impressed by the service. As the oldest hat store in the world , they do have a great reputation. It's just that as a retailer I know where they get their hats from . What they charge for some of their hats is incredible!!

Steven
www.bencraft.com

Razzman

One Too Many
Welcome to the lounge. It's a fine looking hat. Congratulations.:eusa_clap I'll agree with some of the others who posted in this thread. If you are satisfied with the hat, thats all that matters. It's nice to receive a compliment from fellow loungers, but your satisfaction is really all that matters. Wear the hat in good health.

One Too Many
Some people are traveling around the world picking any kind souvenirs, if you are visiting Down Town in London and go walking St. James Street, have in mind a special love for hats, when you see Lock & Co. store hats, could not let to buy a hat, although It only be a nice single fur felt hat, but, in change It will be a great souvenir and like Besdor said: The service in that store is amazing ¡¡¡¡¡

MJH

New in Town
I know Christys import their felt but they still block their fur felt hats at their factory in the UK.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Alott of major hatters buy their felt from another country. I know of a very major hatter that buys their felts from S. America. Oh yes, they are 'owned by one of the biggest hatters'!

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I recently bought a Madison from Locks and am very happy with it. A bit pricey, granted, but I tried on several hats that day both in Locks and Bates and it best suited what I was looking for. And I imagine that it will outlast me so the money doesn't seem quite as much over the years. Unless I lose it of course.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A bit pricey, granted, but I tried on several hats that day both in Locks and Bates and it best suited what I was looking for. .
This is what I recommend to those purchasing their first hat; try on lots of hats, find the correct size and style/dimensions that suit you and pay up. From then on you can buy online with a good amount of confidence.

-30-

A-List Customer
"Done in traditional beaver felt, a trilby at Lock will set you back close to $1,000, so we opt instead for rabbit felt at a still-significant fraction of that price."
QUOTE: Toronto Star.

At the least, when one buys tools with the name Snap-on, you know 99% of the time that they were made by said company.
LOL

Regards,
J T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points