London Outerwear meetup 8th of December - Epilogue

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by red devil, Dec 9, 2018.

1. red devil

red devil One Too Many

Been a bit out these last few days, but catching up now :)

Yeah, Spring would be a logical choice, I would certainly be aiming to have a meetup by then :)

Very fair point :)

@Lit Up Let us know your impressions if you go!

2. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

I wish I had known that. We spent six boring hours at Dallas airport, before catching an internal flight to Nashville. Is The Wild Horse Saloon still going strong?

3. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

And so do I. I was a blues DJ for ten years and through that I got to meet all of the blues greats still alive in the mid 70s and mid 80s. Was also a 1/2 a_sed blues harp player who has played in every blues/rock bar in town.

Even though Nashville, is noted for country music, there is a whole lot more music here than just country. But I will say that if one wants to see live blues music, Memphis is the place to go. Nashville is more live rock than anything else, although there is country in the touristy honky tonks on Lower Broad. I never played on Lower Broad, nor have I ever been in one of those bars.

Fanch likes this.
  4. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

Yes it is. I just checked its calendar, and it's closed occasionally for private parties, so if you want to go in the future, might check the calendar (link below). That is a huge club to close for a private party. It is 66,000 sq. feet on three floors with a capacity of 2400 attendees. https://wildhorsesaloon.com/calendar

5. Bigbenbs

Bigbenbs A-List Customer

6. Sir Jacket

Sir Jacket Practically Family

Shame I missed it. Will try to make next time.

Edward likes this.
  7. Edgar Laurel

Edgar Laurel One of the Regulars

Nice Jacket but that long square LL logo turns me a bit off.

red devil likes this.
  8. red devil

red devil One Too Many

They got back to offering jackets with no logos, so that is not an issue any more :)
    And this logo is excessive to my eyes as well

willyto likes this.
  9. red devil

red devil One Too Many

Time to start planning for the next meetup! I am thinking of May at the moment.

This time, we should finish the gathering with a dinner somewhere, and one of the requests I remember was more pics. It would also be a good idea to go to a different area.

I am thinking we could something in East London this time, and try to find some spots that we could be good to take some photos. Any ideas?

Also should we discuss which jackets we want to see members bring this time?

Peter Bowden, Edward and Jejupe like this.
  10. Lit Up

Lit Up One of the Regulars

Probably won't need a jacket in May!

I can't think of many places around East London pertinent to leather jackets. You have "son of a stag", and I think that's it. I don't particularly like that place and never go. It's a bit out of the way.

The West End still reigns supreme: we didn't go to Newburgh Quarter: Great Frog jewellers, Filson, Red Wings. Also St James' For hats, boots and shoes; you have Jermyn Street. Hats: Lock Hatters, Bates... shoes/boots: Grenson, Trickers, Crockett and Jones, pretty much every decent British bootmaker you can think of. And of course Savile Row... most of the leather is worn on the feet in this part of town

11. red devil

red devil One Too Many

True... this year is looking pretty mild after all.

I am thinking this time on focusing less on shops and more on walking around and taking photos. Any idea of good places for that?

12. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

You might find a touring walk interesting, for example a professional guide will give a party of people, a history guide of someone like Jack the Ripper. It would cost you ten quid each. You can see all the details here: https://www.jack-the-ripper-tour.com/

Edward likes this.
  13. red devil

red devil One Too Many

Ah yes, that could work well :)

Do you think you could join this time?

14. Jejupe

Jejupe Practically Family

I’ll be there if there is nothing overlapping at work.

red devil likes this.
  15. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

It would be a delight, but I haven't recovered properly from hip replacement surgery a year ago. Like most Londoners, I used to go past London's landmarks everyday and never really took them in. Now living 80 miles south of the city, we visit friends and family and we make time to actually enjoy that which we used to take for granted.

red devil and Edward like this.
  16. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

I'm in Brentford from the 7th of May for 4 nights with the Wife (Shoreditch on the radar)....

red devil likes this.
  17. Edward

Edward Bartender

The East is best either on a Thursday (for the vintage market at Spitalfields) or a Sunday, for the markets in general. Beyond Retro on Cheshire Street can be worth a rummage. Son of Stag is nice for a nose, though, yeah, the prices are a bit youwhatnow??? - though tbh I find that's the same for Clutch and RMCs. Silverman's in the east is worth a nose if you're passing, though I wouldn't make a special trip just for that.

Still a lot of stuff worth nosing in the WE, yes.

It's very easy - though I find spending time around international students help. It's quite a buzz to be able to point out, in passing, that the Oscar Wilde libel trial you're discussing took place five minutes down the road...

red devil likes this.
  18. barnabus

barnabus Practically Family

Hopefully the next meet won't clash with something else I can't avoid!

19. Edward

Edward Bartender

The other bonus of the East side of town would be to programme a stop there last, with a view to a curry to round the day off. Still a few good places in Brick Lane.

20. red devil

red devil One Too Many

Ok guys! It's time to start thinking about this year's London meetup. I am thinking around end of November or early December could be a good time.

This time we need to take more pictures and have a nice meal at the end of it. We could do the East part this time as was suggested earlier.

Please let me know your thoughts here, and especially which weekend would work for you, so that once that is settled, I can create the official meetup thread.

I am looking forward to this one, and really hope to see more people showing up. Feel free to put any suggestions, questions, ideas, etc. here.

If you prefer not to post here for nay reason, please PM me :)

The aim is to build up on the last event and hopefully have as good a time if not better :D

Edward likes this.