London Outerwear meetup 8th of December - Epilogue

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by red devil, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

I'm in!

Just so you know, the Eastman pop up store will be 13th to 24th of November, might be nice to do it at that time...
    I really really need to try a HighwayStar!

Edward and El Marro like this.
  2. Jejupe

Jejupe Practically Family

I'm also in! I think it would be nice to visit the Eastman pop up, so I suggest the weekend 22nd - 24th of November.

3. red devil

red devil One Too Many

That sounds like a good idea, would be good to invade the pop up in numbers :D

4. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

Honestly, that was the one thing i struggled with most last time...
    Every time all of us entered a shop all i could think about was how much they must have hated having all of us there, trying everything on and buying nothing! It's any shop owners worst nightmare i think.

5. Jejupe

I don't see a problem here. Just buy something if it bothers you! ;)

Lit Up and Carlos840 like this.
  6. red devil

red devil One Too Many

It depended on the shops I guess, I remember Lewis leathers and Clutch Cafe giving us the best welcome. Personally I wouldn't worry too much, we were polite and interested in the products whether we were buying or not. This is already better than many visitors in the shops we go too, isn't it?

Edward likes this.
  7. Lit Up

Lit Up One of the Regulars

I wasn't happy with the reception in Buzz Ricksons or whatever it's called. Every time I asked to try something on there was a hesitation, then an unconvincing "yes" about 5 seconds later... if people want me to pay a feck ton for a jacket then they need to be nice :)

Btw if I'm in town I'll definitely try to come!

Edward likes this.
  8. Jejupe

I think if there is really a lot of us, it would be polite to go these shops in smaller groups. At some point they will worry about shoplifting if a big bunch or leather jacket wearing weirdos crowd a small shop.

9. Lit Up

Lit Up One of the Regulars

No I think that shops need to realise that the customer is number 1. They usually do and are happy to have some business. Particularly with stuff this niche.

10. red devil

red devil One Too Many

First step is to make sure the group is big enough for such considerations. You heard it, we need to be more numerous than last time! I am counting on all of you :D

11. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Sounds good to me :)

red devil and Jejupe like this.
  12. Justhandguns

Justhandguns Practically Family

End of November sounds nice!

red devil likes this.
  13. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

Correction:
    You really really need to buy a HighwayStar!

bn1966 likes this.
  14. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

Step 1: try
    Step 2: buy
    Step 3: ... Profit?

I do love the buttoned waist adjustment, fingers crossed it its me!

El Marro likes this.
  15. Mysteryo

Mysteryo Practically Family

I'd love to come, if I'm free at this time!
    It was great to meet you all last year.

red devil, bn1966 and Lit Up like this.
  16. barnabus

barnabus Practically Family

I like the sound of another meet up. Fingers crossed I don't have another diary clash!

red devil likes this.
  17. oneterrifichog

oneterrifichog Practically Family

Y'all might want to let the shops know when you are coming. I think you would get a real welcome especially if you mention that you are part of an unofficial FL Meetup. We had a meetup in Monteagle, TN with the Hat crowd a number of years back and actually got a tour of a hat manufacturer in Winchester, TN. Just a thought.

18. Edward

Edward Bartender

Nice idea! The Lewis folks put us on their instagram, as I recall.

American Classics. Yes, they are....kinda spendy. The price of a Kelso jacket in there especially, yeesh. Too rich for my blood. I wish there were a few more Buzz Rickson stockists in the UK, though.

November timed with the pop-up would be good, not so close to Christmas so things won't be quite as hectic.

Another place I'd love to work in some time is the Ace Cafe, but being in Stoney Bridge area (NW London, zone 3 on the Bakerloo line), it's not quite ideal for this trip I think. Maybe sometime we should all go en force to one of their rock and roll nights or similar.

Some day we should organise an expedition North for an Aero visit...

El Marro, bn1966 and dubpynchon like this.
  19. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

I'd stay in the Kew Bridge Travelodge, just off M4 with good rail links just up the road, missed last year's ELC 'Pop Up' but made the previous years. Won't be buying, I've enough jackets & accessories to be getting on with.
    I like the 'Ace Cafe' idea, maybe a summer time meet up?

Edward likes this.
  20. Justhandguns

Justhandguns Practically Family

I have just been to the Clutch Cafe a few days ago, they have this small area with a bench and a few seats. Lewis and Rivets should be easy as there is Fitzroy or Rising Sun just round the corner if you fancy a pint. There's also coffee at the Sharps Barber shop almost next to Rivet and hide. As for the ELC pop-up, there's plenty of choices. For American Classic, there is the Craft Beer pub down the road towards Holborn.

P.S. Not going to buy anything in these places, otherwise my other half will burn me (or my collection) to death......

bn1966 likes this.