Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long-hair fur-collared bomber jackets

TVDinners

New in Town
I'm in the process of making a cold-weather bomber-esque leather adventure jacket out of an old leather jacket. I have some very soft off-white fur that I'd like to line the coat with. But I'm worried that long haired fur (this stuff is probably 2-3 inches long) will look too feminine on a men's coat. Is shearling the only fur used on traditional men's leather jackets? Every furry collar on a men's leather coat I've seen looks very wooly, and I can't think of a specific example of a men's leather jacket having a long-haired fur collar before the 1970's. Any help would be appreciated!

alfyman

One of the Regulars
Would you happen to have a picture of the fur? I think that would help to see what it may look like. I have a bomber jacket that has kind of long fur, but it's not too feminine looking..
BigCollarJacket010.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
You might try the soaking/drying treatment. Depending on the fur of course!

I did it to a whole Irvin jacket, which had some very fluffy, straight sheepskin (almost like it was straightened with a hairdryer).
I soaked the whole jacket in the bathtub.
Let it dry outside - hanging in the wind and sun for several days and nights.
Gave it a few spins in the tumbledryer. Cold first then hotter and hotter.
Let it hang outside until it was completely dry and...

Then I did it all over again - a couple of days later.

Check out the "Irvin Repro" thread to see the amazing result.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35314-ALL-REPRO-R.A.F.-Irvin-type-jackets/page70

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran