Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Longtime Loungers...do you think the Lounge has changed a great deal?

carter

I'll Lock Up
panamag8or said:
My pleasure. We don't want you dying on us.;)

And we certainly don't want death before dessert! :eek: :D

Originally posted by Jon aka FedoraGent
Admittedly when I posted the original post, I suppose that I was looking at the Lounge in a whole different light. The great thing about this place is that sometimes you find yourself thinking differently after reading the thoughts of others. My perspective has definitely changed. I know that I myself am going to take a great deal from this thread and put it to good use. I have a bunch of projects that I've been working on that I think I should share and get your thoughts on. Have a great holiday.

Jon, I certainly appreciate your statement that your perspective has changed since reading the thoughts of others on this thread. I find that refreshing and look forward to reading about your new projects. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Happy Holidays to you and yours! :D

surely

A-List Customer
Twitch said:
Of course I don't like that the very few jerkos are compelled to horn into discussions that were going along quite nicely for pages and start trouble. If you aren't interested in a topic there is no need to challenge the participants as to why they chose to discuss it. THIS is a problem that has recurred many times. They stir up what was a leisurely discussion and a bartender closes the thread instead of just erasing the horn in persons' comments.

I hope this is not a "leisurely discussion", otherwise I may be horning (I do play the trombone) into this discussion to start trouble. What's the problem man, can't you verbally defend yourself, say shooting back with a devastating retort that politely but firmly puts this interloper in her/his place.
Or perhaps you are misreading their intention. Maybe the thread needed some new energy.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
Well when it comes to informational posts it is up to people like you to start them.

Root left the fold then returned under the guise of Forgotten man.

Chevalier left for addiction reasons... He couldn't stop posting.

Sneaky lil' devil!!!

edited to say - I sure didn't forget. One of my top ten all time favourite contributers.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
Having killed many a thread myself.....it does happen.

but yes...things move along right past it...

I only notice you putting the brakes on a thread on purpose as bartender or for the good of the lounge.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No names, but yes, there are thread killers out and about. I have watched, thankfully, just a handful of people do it and not even on a regular basis. It's been sorta not what they said but how they said it.

Most repetitive has been the thread going along with several participants for like 2-3 pages. Then the booger comes along and challenges them with almost either exactly or to paraphrase- "why are you talking about this dumb subject?" I've seen very craftily composed comments such as "why are there so many topics about "blank" going on in the Lounge? Without flaming anyone or really complaining about specifics the lamenting person gets a bartender thinking and threads are combined or closed.

There is a sort of 'holding the coats to watch the fight' thing at work occassionally. This doesn't come from evil web trolls just Loungers that get bored or on a high horse for some reason.

I've literally shook my head as someone butts in to a gentle thread with, "hey this isn't a vintage topic!" while topics about modern football, "the perfect orange" and today's TV shows go unattacked. I don't get it.

There are plenty of topics on vintage things and if folks don't like discussions on non-vintage topic they should simply stay out of them and vice versa.

I do feel if people are funning others with questionable remarks they should us the emoticons more because Loungers or Bartenders alike don't know for sure in the written medium. Can't see facial expressions can we?

And no Surely, this is not like 99.9% of the leisurely discussions, this is a serious discussion but the key is that it continues for 6 pages without trolls flaming people, being arguementative, making fun of others and wise mouths. This is a tribute to the adultness of this place.

I've seen all sorts of web sites' forums. A couple that are scientifically inclined do not allow single sentence replies. Usually wiseacre remarks are slung in terse retorts. They want people to flesh out their responses and share intricate explanations of their points of view on specific topics. They are more strictly moderated than FL but generally for different reasons.

So we'll see how long this actual thread continues before one person instigates a verbal deragatory sharp enough for it to be closed. It'll be fun to look back and mark that point. Until then just act use manners from the Golden Age and we'll all be OK.:)

surely

A-List Customer
Twitch, thanks for your well reasoned and expressed response I especially liked the way you broke up paragraphs. Long paragraphs are a pet peeve.

I have never encountered the type you describe online; and yes, they are trouble makers, off or on line. Perhaps there could be an emoticon that those having a nice conversation can attach to the rude dude.

I would like to switch to an issue raised soon after this thread started. It began as a call to oldies to comment on the changes they have noticed in the lounge. Soon newbies entered with their experiences of being ignored or poorly treated. I also have been subject to it.

But I have taken a different tack; I have assumed that the oldies just weren't getting it, that they were just a bit stuck in their ways, and with time and patience they will come around and adapt to what could be an emerging new way of thinking about or expressing style

Feraud

Bartender
surely said:
But I have taken a different tack; I have assumed that the oldies just weren't getting it, that they were just a bit stuck in their ways, and with time and patience they will come around and adapt to what could be an emerging new way of thinking about or expressing style
Can you clarify? What aren't the oldies getting?
What do the vets need to come around to? What is the new way of thinking or expressing style?
I am confused...

I've actually found exactly the opposite. The large majority of the "oldies" of us who've been around for long-ish time-periods (thinking here of Matt D, Senator Jack, Feraud, myself, Scotrace, Marc C, Miss Neecerie et alia too numerous to mention) get really annoyed - and there was a period there when i know i was considering throwing in the towel because of this - with "new" people rocking the inclusive boat. Endless and tiresome tirades against hippie, or Mod, style or "The 1970s, period" become wearing. And result in infrequent blow-ups from oldies like myself. If there's one thing the FLounge is not, it's being stuck in its ways.

I don't think there's an institutional issue with treating newbies poorly at FLounge. Certainly not like some boards where if your post count is below 10 billion or you don't happen to own 50 billion pair of Allen Edmonds shoes you are treated openly with scorn. I don't think being talked around is being treated poorly. It's part and parcel of how internet fora work. Just because you've said something doesn't mean that an ongoing discussion is going to break to acknowledge it. And - to be blunt and frank - not all posts are worth replying to. This goes for posts by old members and newbies alike. Just like in a bar, you're going to get talked around. Frequently.

I honestly haven't seen a men's fashion board (which, let's admit it, this is) which is as open to welcoming new members who have interesting things to say. Hence i've stuck around.

bk

surely

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz, I take your point.
I wasn't around to see the tirades you speak of. Personally, I would have been more than happy to gently but firmly take on the anti hippies. And one can skip threads that are boring or offensive.
But I am very sympathetic with the bartenders who must read everything and sometimes make difficult decisions.
As to the quality of the FL, I have expressed my feelings in that somewhat difficult but stimulating and informative thread on religious belief. In short I think this is a superb vehicle and enthusiastically recommend it to friends.
One of the most impt reasons is the open willingness to listen to criticism. Its been a life long struggle for me to learn how to criticize without offending. Sometimes its just not possible.
As for the substance of my pov as asked by Feraud, I shall now retreat to my thoughts and post asap.....

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
EDIT: You know what? I've decided I'm personally done with this conversation, so I'm taking this entry down.

The folks I've thought are kind and helpful have proven themselves so, here or elsewhere. The folks I've thought seem like arsehats have also proven themselves so, here or elsewhere.

For my part, thanks to everyone for their time, support, and advice. You've been a lifeline to a culture I love while I've been overseas, and I will endeavour to repay your many kindnesses in the future.

Merry Christmas,

T.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Since I was asked to speak for myself....

My annoyances are there yes. They consist exclusively of the following issues/points.

1. Please search before you speak. There ARE tutorials on how to use Google search posted in the Obs bar as a sticky so that the admittedly less then great FL search can be overcame.

One of us suggesting you search, or suggesting there is a thread on it, and giving you the thread link, is NOT us refusing to teach you. It's us saying, there is great info out there, and adding to it, is -easier- and more complete for future generations then 4 -smaller- threads on similar issues.

Like I stated earlier in this thread, sometimes the -expert- on a topic has left the lounge..but their wise words are in the thread....

2. People are different. We are different then each other here. We are certainly different then other subgroups.

Knocking anyone else for their lack of morals, style, etc....tells people more about -US- and our lacks...then it does about the so call lacks of others.

So yes...I get extremely frustrated when multiple threads turn into the 'did you see/hear/notice what so and so did/said/wore....my god I cant believe they have such a lack of class/style/taste' threads....

Sadly, this happens -way- more then it used to.

Other then that...I -love- new people arriving, who read about a topic and then ask a great question that hasn't been covered and we get to research and answer.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie,

Even as a newbie I agree with you completely on both points. heck, I've only been here a few months and the things you pointed out even annoy me a little, so I can imagine how it must be for older members!

But in general, I really have to stress that this is the nicest, most respectful internet community I have ever come across, and I have been consistently impressed by the way the bartenders manage to keep it that way.

As it grows I imagine this will get more difficult, and older members will start to feel that their community has been hijacked a little, and I suppose that's the challenge to be risen to. For my part, despite my short tenure, I think the civility and community on this board is a precious thing, something you should be proud of, and something we should all, old or new, endeavor to perpetuate.

I'm probably speaking out of place here (and I hope I don't get put on anyone's 'ignore' list, which I just found out existed today!) but I just wanted to say that no matter what, I think we all have more in common than we have to fight about, and I can't say if the lounge has changed a great deal as I haven't been her long, but the way the lounge is now to someone coming in from the outside is a really interesting, unique and special place.

Anyway, enough of this! I'm going to get to the more important business of searching for a thread on the best way to make my pincurls look like fingerwaves :)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Bebop said:
Easier to just ban everything and talk about the weather or favorite colors.
I bet if we all tried hard enough we could get a favorite color or what's the weather like thread closed down. Especially if any of those 1970s hippie types pipe up...(Just a joke there. I still have a pair of well worn bell bottoms in my closet. There, I said it. Don't kill me.):)

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Whew! This thread...

...reminds me of the time I rode my lawn mower over a ground hornet nest. I'm a relative newbie, but I think there is a mix here of highly focused, serious topical discussions and whimsy. But remember that we have some new members like CharlestonBows who can educate extensively on these subjects and is generous in his help.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Sefton said:
I bet if we all tried hard enough we could get a favorite color or what's the weather like thread closed down. Especially if any of those 1970s hippie types pipe up...(Just a joke there. I still have a pair of well worn bell bottoms in my closet. There, I said it. Don't kill me.):)

REd, your favorite color is red? What are you, some kind of communist or something? It is a good thing Ronald Reagan defeated the communists so we don't have to put up with the likes of you.

It sure has been getting warm lately. If those damn corporations keep pumping their pollution into the air, and we don't start driving hybrids, and immediately join the...administration ...global warming...science...treehuggers....hippie communists........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran