Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Look at my new old watch ...

srivats

Familiar Face
Won it on the bay ... my father had a very similar watch ages ago (that his father gave him) but sadly lost it on a train ... I remeber this watch so well.

How do you guys like it?

rotary1.JPG

rotary4.JPG

rotary3.JPG

rotary5.JPG

D

DeaconKC

Congratulations! I can completely sympathize with finding that. I had a Cross pen stolen many years ago my Dad gave me and finally found a replacement. How does it run?

srivats

Familiar Face
DeaconKC said:
Congratulations! I can completely sympathize with finding that. I had a Cross pen stolen many years ago my Dad gave me and finally found a replacement. How does it run?

I am still waiting for it, should be here later this week. the seller said that it runs fantastic and keeps good time. I can't wait to wear it. I particularly love the patina the dial has developed ... from what I found, this particular model is from the late 30s/early 40s.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Nice watch and even better with the special memories you have of the one your garndfather gave your dad. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

srivats

Familiar Face
LelaViavonie said:
That is a beautiful Watch!

I love watches.. but cant seem to find one that look good on me.. mabey im just too picky.. LOL

Thanks!

Ooh, me too. I love old watches ... most new ones are too utilitarian and somehow lack the 'warmth' that you instantly see in watches 30-40 years old. You gotta start window shopping on ebay, there are plenty of very nice vintage watches at great prices there ...

Talbot

One Too Many
I like it

And Rotary is a pretty good brand of manufacture as well.

Rotary made a Reverso similar to the LeCoultre. I've never seen a mechanical one, but they have reissued it in Quartz.

I have a thing for subdial watches. What kind of strap are you going to use?

Talbot

srivats

Familiar Face
Have not thought of changing the strap yet ... I'd love to get a nice leather strap for this watch though. Any suggestions?

Talbot

One Too Many
Leather would be nice...

and sometimes I have fitted Khaki straps to watches like this.

Khaki would look good, but it also depends on what you will be wearing it for.

srivats

Familiar Face
The watch came in the mail yesterday. It is pretty good, but the crown has more patina than what I had in mind ... there are also a couple of scratches on the glass that the seller did not mention. The lettering on the dial is actually golden colored (that is fading) and not black ... this disappointed me since I was anticipating black numbers. It runs properly though, I wound it once yesterday morning and it is still going good and not lost any time. It feels really nice to have a watch that you can wind ...

The strap defintely needs to be changed, it is dirty and is loose on my wrist. I have to decide if I want to use this as my daily wearer ...

tortswon

Practically Family
Suggestion

I would get a dark brown leather strap with some texture to it since it would make the too dark dial look a bit lighter. That would, in turn, cause the markings on the face to appear darker because of the contrast. Hope it works out for you because it is a very attractive utilitarian watch. Enjoy!

Talbot

One Too Many
srivats said:
The watch came in the mail yesterday. It is pretty good, but the crown has more patina than what I had in mind ... there are also a couple of scratches on the glass that the seller did not mention. The lettering on the dial is actually golden colored (that is fading) and not black ... this disappointed me since I was anticipating black numbers. It runs properly though, I wound it once yesterday morning and it is still going good and not lost any time. It feels really nice to have a watch that you can wind ...

The strap defintely needs to be changed, it is dirty and is loose on my wrist. I have to decide if I want to use this as my daily wearer ...

If the crown is plated its usually the first to show signs of rub through. Can be changed fairly easily.

I have a bag of crowns, and I'd offer to send you one, but they all have different threads. You really need to have a watch guy do it, especially getting the stem out if you have never done it.

The scratches on the glass can be buffed out with a polish like Brasso. It'll come up great.

If it has gold numbers, a good dark brown leather strap would look brilliant on that, forget what I said about the Khaki strap. I'd happily wear it.

Its still a nice item. Enjoy!

Cheers

Talbot

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Don't wanted to start a new thread in this. That's one of my favorites and the newest addition to my still little collection of Hamiltons. It's an Endicott made in 1938. Interesting is, that the grade was made around 35 (could be verified through the serial numbers on the grade itself), but maybe due to the depression used years later in a new modell.

1727d1222865883-zeigt-doch-mal-eure-vintage-dresswatch-hami2.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL