Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for info on a WWII Navy squadron

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I am looking for some information on VF(N)-76. They were a night fighter squadron that flew F-6F Hellcats. I haven't really been able to find much on the internet other than they existed and what ships they flew off of during the war. What I am looking for is, first, the name of the squadron and insignia and second a roster of the squadron pilots. The squadron only existed for a little over a year, but they had a huge impact on the war. They had the highest kill ratio of any night fighter squadron in the Navy, a total of 26 victories. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Fibber Mcgee

New in Town
I see they spent a lot of their time aboard the USS YORKTOWN (CV10). The Yorktown is a museum ship in Charleston at Patriots Point. Have you tried contacting them to see if they have any info ?

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Good call Fibber Mcgee, I will try to find out more info from them. A big problem with finding info about this squadron is that they worked in detachments, meaning the squadron would send a couple of aircraft to different ships. They did not deploy together, they deployed in these small detachments. Although YORKTOWN may have info on one of the detachments, they may not have info on the whole squadron. However, it is worth a shot to give them a call or send an e-mail.

I was hoping someone at the Lounge here might be an expert on Hellcat squadrons of WWII.

Fibber Mcgee

New in Town
According to the Callings Foundation they were formed at Quonset Point and then were flown to San Diego before going to Hawaii. I know the base at QUONSET Point closed years ago but maybe the town has some historical information. I know how aggravating it can be to track these things down as is many WWII records have been lost. Hopefully we have an expert on here that can help. There is also a book about Hellcats listed in Google.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
The Collings Foundation is the reason I am looking for the info. A gentleman from my hometown was in VF(N)-76 and I am trying to determine if he flew the aircraft that the Foundation is restoring. He passed away in 2009 and I have contacted his wife to see if she still has his logbooks. She was unable to find them, but she is still looking for them and other info such as which ships he deployed on. That may also be a good indicator of his connection with this aircraft. I would love to do some archival research at the Navy History and Heritage Command in D.C. or at the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, but I don't have a flexible schedule at the moment to do that.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
You may already have this info , but here's a little I found about VF(N)-76
USS Yorktown CVG-5
USS Bunker Hill CVG-17 Det A
USS Hornet CVG-2 Det B Det 2
USS Lexington CVG-16 Det 3
USS Charger CVE-30

These all had VF(N)-76 aboard between 1943-44

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Thanks for the info Siggy. I do have that info, but I now I have to tie the aircraft to this gentleman. If I knew which ship he was on and which ship the aircraft was on, that would be a definite indication that he flew it. Since this squadron worked on the DET concept, there is a good possibility that if they deployed on different ships, he may have not flown it, since the squadron was only around for a little over a year.

I have the same question about a unit emblem design. His wife is looking for any information that she may have stored away in boxes.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Oddly enough I was searching the net again and found that Vero Beach, FL public library may have an oral history about the squadron in their archives. The gentleman that I am researching was listed as one of the participants. I sent the library an e-mail enquiring about an e-copy that they may be able to e-mail out. I hope they get back to me with a positive answer.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
The library sent the copy. However the interview is very short. It does prove that person I am trying to connect to this aircraft was in the squadron the same time the aircraft was and apparently in the same location of Quonset Point, RI when the squadron was started.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Well , hopefully the Wife may be able to locate a photo or two that may help in both what ship/aircraft it was and the emblem fro the unit !!!!!!!!!!!!

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
That is a great episode! Thanks for posting it. I can't believe I didn't find that when I was looking for info on the squadron. The gentleman that was from my hometown passed away in 2009. I wish I could have talked to him more about his experiences during the war. I did interview him for a paper that I wrote in college about Navy flight jackets. He never really talked about what he did other than fly Hellcats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran