Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lots of jacket types circa 1942

alden405

A-List Customer
Copyofimg890.jpg

i put this up in the hats area and didnt want the jacket crazys to miss out

Edward

Bartender
I presume these are military men - off duty? Fascinating range. Also interesting to see that the sole non-hat wearer appears to be significantly younger than the rest. Maybe symptomatic of the generational shift away from hats as the norm?

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
I presume these are military men - off duty? Fascinating range. Also interesting to see that the sole non-hat wearer appears to be significantly younger than the rest. Maybe symptomatic of the generational shift away from hats as the norm?

He may not have a hat..but his jacket is damn nice:eusa_clap What are these called again? Grizzlys? I know Aero makes a similar one..

Edit: By the way..all of these men look fab. I like the fella with the leather jacket and the tilted hat. What kind of jacket is that? An A2 maybe? I'm not at all an expert on leather jackets..

Edward

Bartender
Definitely a Luftwaffe jacket, as described on eBay... lol Not an A2 - there is no cuffing on it, and I think I can see a chest-zip pocket. I'd say something akin to one of Aero's half-belts, or a highwayman style.

The young fella is most certainly sporting a Grizzly. I wonder whether they were considered rather outlandish at the time?

Feraud

Bartender
Edward said:
The young fella is most certainly sporting a Grizzly. I wonder whether they were considered rather outlandish at the time?
Without having thought too much about it, I would suggest it was not considered outlandish.
These jackets were sold as cold weather garments w/out any social connotations.
Unless you wore one in the summer or to a wedding.. :)

Edward

Bartender
Ah! I hav wondered about them: because they certainly stand out nowadays, I have often wodnered whether they did even more so in the more conservative past.

alden405

A-List Customer
The chaps in civcilian clothes are horse traders,sellers and buyers
The chaps in uniform are Quartermaster remount staff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff