Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Louis Prima!

60Years2Late

New in Town
My personal Fave's

Buona Sera
King of the Swingers
Yes, We Have no Bananas
Bingo Bango Bongo
When You're Smiling/Shiek of Araby(Spelling)

And of course, pretty much anything else he did. But I like those songs best. Just a Gigalo and Jump Jive n' Wail go without saying.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
ITG said:
He also wrote the well-known big band tune "Sing, Sing, Sing."

Really? I didn't realize that. That is one of the swingin'est tunes ever.

That cat was way gone, man.

pLAY PRETTY FOR THE PEOPLE!

I have a number of CD's from the Prima collection, I really enjoy the Las Vegas era stuff with Sam Butera and the Witnesses where he a Keely duet so well.

I have 1 or 2 of the Swing era also where he 'plays pretty for the people!'

Bebop

Practically Family
Some Italian families worship Frank Sinatra. Once my father heard Louie Prima, my strange and loose Italian family thought Prima was the man. He was part of the background at family get togethers. He had a great sax man.

Some of my favorites:
1.Banana Split for My Baby
2.The Lip
3.Jump, Jive and Wail
4.Oh Marie
5.Hey boy, Hey girl
6.Whistle Stop
7.Buono Sera

I play his music most Saturday mornings. :)

The Captain

One of the Regulars
It seems that almost every thread started on FL brings to mind a photo that I have taken or a place that I have been. I guess that's what comes from being as old as I am :eek: . Anyway, my wife and I stayed at the Sahara on our honeymoon, and this was the entertainment featured. 11/27/'62

1362996060_6f6ebb4380.jpg

Please excuse the quality of the picture; It's almost 45 years old!

Oh Captain my Captain! That is just TOO cool, man. I've read that he was the must-see act on the strip for a good long while. Thanks for posting the picture.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Ah, good man!

I think his music is fun, exciting and enjoyable!

Funny thing, his music goes way back in the pages of Jazz. His later work in the 50's is amazing and I'd say what he's known for, but, his early work is over looked which is a shame because, he was even hot back then... but, had a 30's or 40's style then the popular jump and R&B sound he had in the
50's.

He could swing with the best... and he even made some V-Disks for the boys over seas. Fun stuff!

FM~

kools

Practically Family
What a voice,of course...but what a monster trumpet player!!!

What I like best is his sense of humor. I can't listen to Prima without a smile on my face.

Luddite

One of the Regulars
kools said:
What a voice,of course...but what a monster trumpet player!!!

What I like best is his sense of humor. I can't listen to Prima without a smile on my face.

Reading this thread, I was going to post exactly this!

Oh Marie makes me smile the most.

But it's Mr. Jordan who's my Louis of choice....

kools

Practically Family
I also relate more to Louis Jordan than to Louis Prima. Jordan also knows how to make me smile.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
An entertainer's entertainer.

According to Mr. Warmth, an excellent documentary on Don Rickles, all the performers in old Vegas would meet up at LP's last set (5am :eek:), often joining in with an impromptu performance. As usual, it was Sinatra who led the way.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails