Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
Pugs are chubby so we don't expect them to be on the table. Fu Manchu the pug is nicknamed Houdini and can often be found standing on the kitchen table. Pugs are cute so we indulge them.

lol lol Do you know how he gets up there?!

Well he got told (straight after I oooh'ed a bit and took his picture) to get down! He looked peeved but jumped down - I think he liked laying in the sun, but there are sunspots on the floor!!

Darhling said:
Okay I have offically the naughtiest pup ever! Look where I just found him (I was watering the plants in the apartment and came into the livingroom)

He is sleeping ON a sidetable!!
[image snipped]
Aww... he probably just wanted someone to sit down next to him and scratch his ears for a bit... although he does look a little hungover.

How big and how aggressive do pugs get anyway?

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Aww... he probably just wanted someone to sit down next to him and scratch his ears for a bit... although he does look a little hungover.

How big and how aggressive do pugs get anyway?

well mine is about 8-9 kg. and doesn't have an agressive bone in his body, he doesn't even bite his toys, he just lays with them..

Just wondering--if I'm ever in a situation where I can have pets (well, beyond my stuffed iguana and rattlesnake), a dog-trainer I know had recommended I consider one of the smaller but not yappy breeds as a possible way around some of my "canine issues". (A Norwegian elkhound trying to rip your face off at 3 years old isn't something you easily forget, you know?)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Just wondering--if I'm ever in a situation where I can have pets (well, beyond my stuffed iguana and rattlesnake), a dog-trainer I know had recommended I consider one of the smaller but not yappy breeds as a possible way around some of my "canine issues". (A Norwegian elkhound trying to rip your face off at 3 years old isn't something you easily forget, you know?)

well pugs are very lovable and is everywhere you are! they are very social and my pug can't really bark, he tries, but not much sound gets out! it is only when there is animals in the TV though. He is like a build-a-bear, only living!

EDIT : from wikipedia

Pug appearance
Build Square, thickset, stocky, compact
Coat fine smooth glossy soft and short
Color Fawn, black, apricot, silver
Head Short, flat, black muzzle
Teeth Slightly undershot bite
Eyes Prominent, expressive, dark, lustrous
Ears Velvety
Tail In a tight curl or double curl
Limbs Straight and strong
Feet Well split-up toes
Life span Median 10-15 years
Weight Around 15 lbs

Just means not letting them see too much of Men In Black so they don't get any ideas, right?

OTOH, the constant-companion thing could be a problem under some conditions... (delicate machine-work or working in the explosives-locker spring to mind:eek: Hey, the Fourth of July's my favorite holiday and I like to celebrate it right--as in, "BIG bangs"--what can I say? lol )

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Just means not letting them see too much of Men In Black so they don't get any ideas, right?

OTOH, the constant-companion thing could be a problem under some conditions... (delicate machine-work or working in the explosives-locker spring to mind:eek: Hey, the Fourth of July's my favorite holiday and I like to celebrate it right--as in, "BIG bangs"--what can I say? lol )

well he also hear really badly and fireworks has never scared him.. a pug is perfect for you!!!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My two boys (photos)

From yesterday's walk. YEP!! we 'all' got a soaking in the fields!! [huh]

The second one should have been named Richthofen, because he is such a natural little hunter.

(Both are German Schnauzers).

fieldofdreams034.jpg

fieldofdreams037.jpg

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A lot of dog in a little space.

Diamondback said:

I agree that a pug or two would be perfect for you, Diamondback. Mine are content to stay in their cuddle-bed if I'm rushing around too much or concentrating too much for them to follow me around. They like to sleep. Pugs like people and they like other animals, so you don't get any yappy high-strung nervousness. Mine each weigh about 22 pounds and are advised to lose 2 pounds, so they're portable but definitely not bony. Darhling is right, like a build-a-bear only living.
Mine are 7, 8, 9, and 10 and show no signs of getting ready to kick it, so the 15+ life expectancy seems to be more on the mark with all of the pugs I know.

Dogs and the Fourth of July

A lot of dogs get terribly upset by the noise of fireworks on Independance Day. Max gets pretty rattled by them, I know for sure.

My method
I have usually set up all of the electric fans and put on med or high (2 box 1 stand type and a smaller one) and put the air conditioners on low (it's usually a pretty hot day anyway) the white noise of the fans drowns out all but the largest booms and whistles.

My cousin's method
Now my cousin Dianna has 3 dogs and when the 4th of July comes around, she uses a vet prescribed action of giving the dogs a spoon full of Benedryl at some point during the day when they start to get nervous from the noise. The benedryl makes the dogs really sleepy, they remain calm and snooze a lot!
Now that I have seen it in action, I can say it seems pretty effective.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
I agree that a pug or two would be perfect for you, Diamondback. Mine are content to stay in their cuddle-bed if I'm rushing around too much or concentrating too much for them to follow me around. They like to sleep. Pugs like people and they like other animals, so you don't get any yappy high-strung nervousness. Mine each weigh about 22 pounds and are advised to lose 2 pounds, so they're portable but definitely not bony. Darhling is right, like a build-a-bear only living.
Mine are 7, 8, 9, and 10 and show no signs of getting ready to kick it, so the 15+ life expectancy seems to be more on the mark with all of the pugs I know.

I can't get over how cute your avatar is..

Rainbow Bridge

Boxerken said:
DSC01400.jpg

This my boy Woody, I just recently lost him. I miss ya Wood
Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor;those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special, someone who was left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart. Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

Author Unknown

This always brings tears to my eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou