Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

Michaelshane

One Too Many
So what are you looking at...?

B0000137.jpg
[/IMG]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
600 CATS!

I happened by the Elmsford Animal Shelter today to donate some extra food our spoiled puss won't eat. And danged if I didn't step into the middle of the hugest bunch of kitties I am ever likely to see in my lifetime.

It's a no-kill facility with over 600 cats, as well as 400 dogs. The cats all were clean and healthy, but obviously lonely - there were a lot of "hey you" meows and paws reaching out from cages. Behind the cages were kitty rooms with easily 20-30 hanging out on couches, rugs and climbing thingies. The aroma of 600 cats in a building (the dog pens are outdoors) is overpowering, but only at first. A minute or two visiting, and you forget all about it.

It's sad that some of the older cats especially will never get homes, because people just don't like them as much as the itty baby kittens. Our kitty's 15, and has had some close calls health-wise, but an elderly cat can be a really sweet friend.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Fletch said:
I happened by the Elmsford Animal Shelter today to donate some extra food our spoiled puss won't eat. And danged if I didn't step into the middle of the hugest bunch of kitties I am ever likely to see in my lifetime.

It's a no-kill facility with over 600 cats, as well as 400 dogs. The cats all were clean and healthy, but obviously lonely - there were a lot of "hey you" meows and paws reaching out from cages. Behind the cages were kitty rooms with easily 20-30 hanging out on couches, rugs and climbing thingies. The aroma of 600 cats in a building (the dog pens are outdoors) is overpowering, but only at first. A minute or two visiting, and you forget all about it.

It's sad that some of the older cats especially will never get homes, because people just don't like them as much as the itty baby kittens. Our kitty's 15, and has had some close calls health-wise, but an elderly cat can be a really sweet friend.

I agree with the joys of adopting older animals. And I'll also add the joy of adopting the ones considered not adoptable. My cat Mac was dropped off in a box at the shelter. The shelter vet wanted to put him down - said he wasn't adoptable because he was cross-eyed, had a broken tail and an upper respiratory infection and that we should find another cat. He escaped that fate by going unnoticed in his cage as she went looking for him and was taken home by a volunteer who fostered cats. Here he is below, 4-years after we adopted him from the shelter, with his best new buddy, also a rescue, doing what they enjoy - wrestling, cuddling and dozing in the sun.

IMG_1194-1.jpg

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
How wonderful to see all these well-loved beasts. I've had too many to share, but here's one of my favorite ever, a fine cat called Vercingetorix (with my wee girl when she was wee). We adopted him, his three siblings, and his mama shortly after coming to OK from London. I'd so missed having feline companions.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7133299@N07/3210885823/in/set-72157594560691228/

I can't get a photo to load, but maybe the link will work.

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
Help!!!

Ok, so I am getting a puppy. Well, she is 4 mnths old. I wanted to get an older rescue but funnily enough everytime I put in an application for one it already had a pending application. :( I was getting frustrated because I wanted to give an animal in need a home. Sooo, I ended up finding a lady breeder who had kept a pup for herself but was no longer able to keep it. So, I get her. :) Yay!

So, here's my question. I need a good name for her. And I'd love to give her an Old Hollywood kinda name. Like Harlow or something like that. Right now she is Missy. Which is cute but I want something a little more vintage and she doesn't totally know her name yet. She is a pug. I will post pictures when I can. :)

I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
*Schatzi* said:
Ok, so I am getting a puppy. Well, she is 4 mnths old. I wanted to get an older rescue but funnily enough everytime I put in an application for one it already had a pending application. :( I was getting frustrated because I wanted to give an animal in need a home. Sooo, I ended up finding a lady breeder who had kept a pup for herself but was no longer able to keep it. So, I get her. :) Yay!

So, here's my question. I need a good name for her. And I'd love to give her an Old Hollywood kinda name. Like Harlow or something like that. Right now she is Missy. Which is cute but I want something a little more vintage and she doesn't totally know her name yet. She is a pug. I will post pictures when I can. :)

I just had your dilemna, Schatzi. The new kitten has been here three weeks now, and I just couldn't get in the swing of calling her Esther (as my daughter dubbed her, with all letters pronounced!), so I've been referring to her as kitty, kitten, little thing, wee thing, etc. Highly unoriginal, certainly, but nothing would come to me. I really wanted a literary name, or something old Hollywood, but three weeks in, and she was still just the little nameless beastie.
Today I was thinking of "Der blaue Engel" whilst playing with her. Lola didn't fit, nor did Marlene, but seeing as she's a gray kitty, she is now Miss Blue. Well, officially Miss Esther Blue, but Miss Blue to me. She seems to like it.

Hopefully you'll get some useful offerings here, but meanwhile, let your mind wander and maybe you'll come up with something in a roundabout way.
Miss Blue, with a heart-shaped nose. She's not so scrawny now.
3813956838_57cea4075f.jpg

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
Feraud - Thanks! Miles is adorable. I like Missy but it is always nicer when you get to name your pet yourself. SO, you are totally right, I shouldn't leave it up to strangers. Was just hoping for some ideas, and if I don't get any I like then....Missy it will be. :)

Theseflishthngs - Your kitty is adorable and I love her new name. Suits her much better than Esther!

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
*Schatzi* said:

Not left to strangers, Feraud!? Loungers aren't strangers! (Are we?) :eek:
Our pugs are Charlie Chan, Mr. Wong, Fu Manchu, and Brutus. Only Brutus has his original owners' name. Please consider Shanghai Lily for your little girl puggy. Or Marlene Dietrich for that matter.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Ooh, Shangahi Lil would be a fantastic name, because every time you call her, you'll get the song and the amazing dance routine in your head! :)
In fact, you can call her in song: "lookin' for my Shanghai Lil....".

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Feraud, Miles is a dandy lil fella. Just be careful...pug dogs are habit forming. You may wind up with several and be known as Those Pug People. However, they make excellent throw pillows when guests are by. lol

ThesFlishThings, Miss Blue looks like a highly intelligent kitty. More pix plz.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
More pics of Miss Blue will be along shortly. Meanwhile, here is Miss Tigger, claiming a ratty, retro suitcase we'd just acquired, along with a close up of Miss Jessie the cats' pet dog.
3194169825_3539ae1377_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24