Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"LW Roadmaster" -- Any Information?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Not too many photos out there of it.
Here are some blury ones from expired ebay listings I found with a search.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, they would put me off. They kind of say: "Here are the handwarmers!!" I'd need to try it on to see how it looks beforehand, tbh.

robrinay

One Too Many
Yup the feature around the pockets is cord piping stitched in from the inside side through a strip of cloth tape. This feature is used on the pockets of the rare early 1960s Schott 631 ms and on the front panels of the AL Spiegel. I found out about the technique when contemplating a repair on a mucky 631 I bought on eBay- when most of the stitching on most of the seams disintegrated in the washing machine leaving me with loose panels of leather and a largely torn out lining. I've dried and stored it with a hankering to have a go at using the panels as a pattern for a home made/repaired 631 at some time in the future. I've got a hide and a good sewing machine with a roller foot. Mind you this project is in the queue behind making a coracle from plastic central heating micro pipe and butyl pond liner and making a wooden long or flat bow depending on the tree I source. It's great to be retired!

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I have a LW Roadmaster and a Sears Fieldmaster. They looks similar, but the LW is based a 50s Schott jacket. I don't own the original Schott, but it is pictured in one of the Rin Tanka books. The LW Roadmaster looks identical as I recall.

Of the three LW jackets I own it is the most period correct to my way of thinking. It is Horsehide black but of a weight more consistent with jackets from the 50s. It is a very comfortable jacket. I'm sure they can be had in any weight you like.

I have several of the Sears Fieldmaster in this style, one horse the others steer. They are among my favorite jackets. I see them as early 60s.

The jacket on the far right in the second picture is a 50s Sears Hercules in Horsehide.

The last picture shows the Roadmaster, Test, Suburban.

DSC05345.JPG

DSC05361.JPG

DSC05367.JPG

DSC07247.JPG

I've always loved the no nonsense look of Suburban but Test is just perfect. If I had the cash, that's the one I'd go for with LW. Terry, does it have sleeve zippers?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Test sleeves as pictured with storm cuffs. This picture was done on day one. I'm looking for some different buckles because these are too difficult to adjust. The suburban has zipped sleeves. If I had it to do over I would order the Test in the same weight HH as the original. All three LW are different weight. Like LW or not their workmanship is superb.

DSC07060.JPG

tmitchell, thank you. Huh, I ought to get a jacket with storm cuffs for a change. Always thought they look really cool. Oh and there's no doubt that LW makes a fantastic product and I would buy at least five of their jacket right now, if the finances allowed it - it's the attitude that I am not too fond of. But yes, from what I've seen and heard, LW workmanship is second to none. The Buco I've seen was beyond incredible. There's no denying Stu invested a lot of time and effort into getting it right. Mendelboaz, regarding leather, you have to see it to believe it!

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
Yeah, I was immediately sold on LWs quality, after buying Stu's leather vest in BLK heavy HH. It's a beautiful piece. I'm still trying to break her in. My wife thinks I'm nuts, since I've worn it too bed a handful of times. I read somewhere that this is a good break-in method.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, since I've worn it too bed a handful of times. I read somewhere that this is a good break-in method.

Tried that, but was unfortunately banned from the bed. Lack of couch persuaded me to seek other break-in methods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo