Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'm kinda surprised you don't get them all that way.

oh ... I do ... both Gannons I had him ship open ... but this one I wanted him to mimic the bash that Alan has on his Bors. just to change it up.
but he said that the felt is so thin that the bash would probably just pop out in transit anyway ... so open it comes
... which I'm totally cool with

philosophy101

A-List Customer
quick update on my latest Gannon

Michael sent me two ribbon choices ... I chose the thinner darker ribbon .. .it spoke to me more

what say you ?

thinner_ribbon.jpg

wider_ribbon.jpg
Yes, definitely the thinner, darker one! Will it also be a bound edge brim, same color ribbon?

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
CMD; The crown is a big - nearly 6 " crown and brim is 2.5". The silver mist felt is very unique. As Anthony mentioned, silver mist felt ,while a very dense beaver felt, is not as thick as other colors. The silver mist felted hats I have are very malleable. I have wondered in other posts if this may have to do with the treatment of the beaver hairs, "bleaching," that makes the felt different. If you like a "stay-put" brim and bash, you may wish to look for a different color. My silver mist hat brims move in medium winds, they take other shapes when brushed up against brush or tree limbs. I like the way they organically take shape during the day. The thinner felt I wear in the warmer weather. I imagine they are not really cooler by much, but I don't mind being a bit self delusional. It makes me feel cooler.

IMO: Perhaps my most versatile colored beaver felt is dove. Silvermist just stands out. Moss green is rich and luxurious. Charcoal is classy and not black. Sahara is a warm color and versatile in its range. Sage green is a luxurious minty green. Blue mist is just a color everyone needs for those blue/gray clothing days. Silverbelly is a must own felt.

I hope this assists.

Best, Eric -

Late edit - Sir you may wish to view the VS forum thread. Both VS and Gannon use Winchester beaver felts. The bespoke hats using the Winchester felts should be used as references, regardless of artist. A member, Rabbit has posted up some magnificent pics of hats in the different color felts. He has collaged many hats in each color. Just an excellent way to see the felt colors in action. Not to mention check out Rabbits hats. Rabbit has one of the most enviable bespoke hat collections in the world. Worth a peak. This is certainly no disrespect to Michael's products. Art Fawcett, the artist of VS, is the jedi master of bespoke hatters (IMO). Michael may very well have the "force," but their are Jedi masters in the universe. The force be with you.

Eric,

Thanks for sending over the dimensions and your insight into Winchester felts.

I just browsed Art's website, and the color choices make the decision process even more...daunting. I'm aiming to reproduce a 40s Whippet (without the vintage price tag) in the color scheme below.

Stetson Whippet_40s.jpg

I was initially committed to Silvermist. I'm now considering Blue Mist, but half of the examples shown in Powder Blue and Granite are also candidates. Camera lighting means everything here. My only caveat: I'd like to err on the side of grey rather than silverbelly (which rules out the Natural color, for example).

I'd love additional input from the crew here.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
my newest Gannon is finished and ready to be shipped

I love how the hat came out ... I see this one getting a ton of head time

Michael said that he was able to get the felt very thin so it shapes very easily without steam and just crushes under the finger tips

for this reason he recommended that he ship it open crown ... which is perfectly fine with me

I am very pleased with the look ... can't wait to get it

I'll be ordering my 4th soon ... I'll finally have my Dark Moss "Wanderer"

but for now the Dark Brown "Alan-ish"

anthonyhat2.jpg

anthonyhat3.jpg

anthonyhat1.jpg

anthonyhat4.jpg

anthonyhat5.jpg
That works. Totally diff then what I saw Wed.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Michael said that he was able to get the felt very thin so it shapes very easily without steam and just crushes under the finger tips

for this reason he recommended that he ship it open crown ... which is perfectly fine with me

anthonyhat2.jpg

anthonyhat3.jpg

anthonyhat1.jpg

anthonyhat4.jpg

anthonyhat5.jpg
Oooooo, I can't wait to see that one!

rclark

Call Me a Cab

anthonyhat2.jpg

anthonyhat3.jpg

anthonyhat1.jpg

anthonyhat4.jpg

anthonyhat5.jpg
Anthony, that hat looks terrific!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
quick update on my latest Gannon

Michael sent me two ribbon choices ... I chose the thinner darker ribbon .. .it spoke to me more

what say you ?

thinner_ribbon.jpg

wider_ribbon.jpg

I dig it ! In the picture the wider color looks better , but going for the Alessandria Borsalino Effect of Alan's Tobacco (Nortonized , as opposed to his Un-Nortonized) I like the thin Ribbon . Colors are deceitful in Pics . And that Crown looks Frankensteinian almost in Pic , but ... Proof is in the Finished Pudding (Hat on the noggin creased) (and you wearing it) (double something there) and you have been on these Horses a Few Times .

anthonyhat2.jpg

anthonyhat3.jpg

anthonyhat1.jpg

anthonyhat4.jpg

anthonyhat5.jpg

As the Song goes , "Can you dig it ?" "Oh YEAH" ... Nice Color Combo Anthony !!! Next is Noggin Pics Modeling , but the thing about a Higher Crown (If you want to) you can lower it any amount you want , but it doesn't work the other wayyyy ... . LOOKS SWEET ! ... and Be Fine . ... you could be a color/style consultant (do you work cheap ?) . ... as for the song , all I remember is Death Before Disco . OH Yeah !

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful new thin ribbon Gannon hat in dark brown

Haven't decided on a bash yet.. I originally intended to do a center dent with tight front pinches... But after messing with some dry bashes the hat is telling me that it wants something else.
We'll see

Really thin malleable felt
9abd33f1e47041dac8ac7799a882428d.jpg

bb67889cf7c531ddf1301f02412fce23.jpg

f9e96d8418bd4609de98b7ea7788939f.jpg

08770cb598e283c3c33e1547cc8e75b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone while orbiting the earth in a sea foam green 1957 Cadillac

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
AWESOME Anthony ! (That ought to be your nick name) That is SWEET Brother , Super SWEET ! Congratulations ! ... we're gonna have to see a Police Line-up !

Haven't decided on a bash yet.. I originally intended to do a center dent with tight front pinches... But after messing with some dry bashes the hat is telling me that it wants something else.
We'll see

rclark

Call Me a Cab

We'll see

Been looking for the right brown thin ribbon forever. Love this one! Nice hat, Anthony! What's the brim width on that beauty?

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here

We'll see

Oh that is sweet! Just gorgeous!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member