M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Discussion in 'Hats' started by moontheloon, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Very nice, Brent. Michael keeps getting better and better.

2. Just A Hat Rack

Just A Hat Rack Practically Family

Really like this one Brent. One of these days I'm going to have to get myself a Gannon. Congrats.

3. Thanks, Ryan. I have to be careful that I don’t sound like a pitchman for Gannon, but I love his work.

4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I can see what you are saying about the felt and the great job Michael does on the pounce/prep. It is obvious how well it takes the bash as it has that vintage look to how the hat takes the bash. Beautiful hat!

deadlyhandsome and Zombie_61 like this.
  5. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 Practically Family

Eric, thank you for the kind words. I am over the moon with this hat. I am planning a navy mid-ribbon similar to your Gannon inspired Wanderer.

Have a safe and blessed day.
    Steven

Short Balding Guy likes this.
  6. This is Michael’s opinion on a 150g pure nutria dress felt hat body I sent him. The review is also interesting as it shows his take on Winchester’s beaver felt too:

The dress nutira felt is nice, it is smooth or soft to the touch, I think "a nice hand" may be a way of describing it. Based on what I have seen so far I think it's as smooth as the beaver or very close.

For a soft thin open crown hat I still prefer beaver. However my experience with the nutria felt is very limited. I have been working on my technique getting Winchester's beaver felt right for that type of hat for many years. With that felt it was primarily about getting it less stiff and more malleable. Trying to get to that point where you can crease the crown without steam and for the most part the crease will stay, which is my personal preference for a soft thin crown. With the nutria I think it is actually going to be the opposite where I will have to figure out how to get the felt more stiff in order to hold a shape. I don't know if "flimsy" is the right word but so far I have found that the nutria felt does not have quite the right stiffness. You don't want stiff felt for that type of hat but I feel there has to be a certain amount of stiffness or just the right amount of stiffness for the crown to shape well.

For a more stiff dress weight hat I would definitely prefer beaver. I think the nutria would take quite a bit of added stiffener to get it where it needs to be for that type of hat. However my experience with stiffener is limited and there may be other hat makers that prefer to add all the stiffeners themselves, I am sure a lot of this is personal preference.

On this hat I was originally worried the brim would not be stiff enough but that is not the case, I think the brim is fine, the crown could possibly use some stiffener but you may prefer it the way it is now.

Thanks,
    Michael

belfastboy, Belkar, Rmccamey and 4 others like this.
  7. suitedcboy

suitedcboy One Too Many

There is a 7 1/2 Gannon black fedora on EBay for a great starting bid of $49 and no bids with 1 day to go.

Belkar, Zombie_61, Rmccamey and 3 others like this.
  8. Pellie

Pellie Practically Family

I just send an email to Michael to order a hat....excited!!! :D:D

9. Belkar

Belkar Familiar Face

What are the specs?

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  10. Pellie

Whiskey color 40's style, hatband, don't know yet, but 4cm. Brim 6,5 cm, open crown. Inches? I don't know, i'm dutch haha

11. Belkar

Belkar Familiar Face

Ah, well I’ve a ruler for translating cm to inches. Saves me the hassle of using the Budweiser/Freedom Eagle equation.

I’m sure it’ll be beautiful. Haven’t personally seen a negative word anywhere online about Michael or his work.

12. Pellie

Me neither, so i will take the guess. Not sure if i will buy a whiskey or a dark brown hat. Questions, questions...

Zombie_61 and Belkar like this.
  13. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Whisky is a great colour.

Pellie, Belkar and Zombie_61 like this.
  14. 6.5 cm is just slightly over 2.5 inches. That's a brim width I rather like on my hats.

Whiskey is a beautiful color for a fur felt hat, but you really have to see it in person to fully appreciate it. Take it out in bright sunlight and take a close look, and all of the little fibers reflect the light in their own colors, somewhat mimicking light being filtered through a shot glass filled with whiskey and ice. Here's mine with a few different colored ribbons, just to give you ideas:

[​IMG]

:D

15. Pellie

Thanks for the info my friend. This will help me to make some choices. Whiskey it will be haha. Hatbandcolour copper and brown will do the job for me, but green is also an option... :rolleyes:

1967Cougar390 and Belkar like this.
  16. Pellie

Copper is great in my opinion...
    Screenshot_20210713-174316_Instagram.jpg

17. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have a Gannon in Whisky with the copper ribbon.....copied it from the one Moon commissioned. I think it is my most strikingly elegant fedora.

18. Pellie

I don't want to copy anyones hat. It's just an example of what i like and i will discuss with Michael how further :)
    But otherwise, we live miles away from each other so the chance we met with the same beautiful fedora on our hat is minimum....to ....zero :-D