Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

I don't want to copy anyones hat. It's just an example of what i like and i will discuss with Michael how further :)
But otherwise, we live miles away from each other so the chance we met with the same beautiful fedora on our hat is minimum....to ....zero :-D

There are three of us here with the same Gannon: @Tukwila @Bill Hughes and I all have a Gannon in the color natural with a ribbon called slate (a most wonderful color that doesn’t look anything like slate). Doug @Tukwila was first and after seeing how beautiful it turned out I had no qualms about ordering my own. Copy away!

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I sat in with the great Mel Torme in a practice, warm-up, and talk session prior to his concert in Tacoma, WA in about 1977. He was throwing tidbits of insight and knowledge out there as they rehearsed some great jazz arrangements, and he stated that "if you're going to copy someone, copy the best!"

I have to agree, and also with the idiom that says imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm actually wearing the inspiration to this hat today, a 50s Royal Stetson with similar colorway, but a shorter brim and crown.

Gannon Natural_Slate_01.jpeg

New hat day!

This is my first dress weight 100% nutria hat from Gannon. The felt is from Sunrise Hat Supply and the color is midnight blue. It’s quite different from dress weight beaver. The hat has a great hand and the open crown creases with the slightest touch. The felt is thicker than Michael’s beaver hats, but what I really notice is that the nutria has a lot of spring back. It’s not the dead felt that molds like clay. It shaped very easily, but it needs steam to hold the shape. I’m not sure if I’ll get another of these, but I’m very glad I have this one; if I could only have one type of felt for a fedora it would be beaver, but this is great stuff too.

After not being sure about the felt, Michael liked the finished hat enough that he’s trying to order some of the dress weight bodies from Sunrise for his own stock.

Specs: 6 1/8” open crown and 2 7/8” wide bound brim. The 2 3/4” wide ribbon color is “university,” and just to complicate things it’s the darker of the two colors Michael has with the same name. It’s a wonderful blue vintage grosgrain ribbon. .

38C19FEA-FFDD-4485-AE03-C29ADAC628C9.jpeg
9CBA5AA4-B628-4E51-9D2B-D3555D8D7692.jpeg
47D68E73-B321-4E47-9D69-1A00211F3C97.jpeg
261469BD-05E5-4A01-8988-FBA5B797FD53.jpeg
1F913D5C-D688-403C-AD62-21F0F651F0BA.jpeg
C42C5483-452F-4B52-9A09-9C0C27D3366A.jpeg
58E14AD9-612F-4414-9B27-3902D2A8EAF9.jpeg
CA6E6A0E-9CB0-461A-A53B-6BB987B7CD3C.jpeg

Michael has knocked it out of the park again! I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out and working with Michael is always a treat.

Last edited:
New hat day!

This is my first dress weight 100% nutria hat from Gannon. The felt is from Sunrise Hat Supply and the color is midnight blue. It’s quite different from dress weight beaver. The hat has a great hand and the open crown creases with the slightest touch. The felt is thicker than Michael’s beaver hats, but what I really notice is that the nutria has a lot of spring back. It’s not the dead felt that molds like clay. It shaped very easily, but it needs steam to hold the shape. I’m not sure if I’ll get another of these, but I’m very glad I have this one; if I could only have one type of felt for a fedora it would be beaver, but this is great stuff too.

After not being sure about the felt, Michael liked the finished hat enough that he’s trying to order some of the dress weight bodies from Sunrise for his own stock.

Specs: 6 1/8” open crown and 2 7/8” wide bound brim. The 2 3/4” wide ribbon color is “university,” and just to complicate things it’s the darker of the two colors Michael has with the same name. It’s a wonderful blue vintage grosgrain ribbon. .

View attachment 346797 View attachment 346798 View attachment 346799 View attachment 346800 View attachment 346801 View attachment 346802 View attachment 346803 View attachment 346804

Michael has knocked it out of the park again! I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out and working with Michael is always a treat.

I have University blue ribbon and it is almost a Royal blue. Ribbon names can be very misleading. Great hat!

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
New hat day!

View attachment 346797 View attachment 346798 View attachment 346799 View attachment 346800 View attachment 346801 View attachment 346802 View attachment 346803 View attachment 346804

What a beautiful hat. I love the color coupled with the tone on tone ribbon treatment. Well done Brent!
Steven

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Really diggin the nutrias, Brent. I also thoroughly enjoy the breakdown of thoughts and comparison, thanks for sharing! I’m tempted on a Gannon Nutria western, but even the proper fedora looks wonderful.

Michael also had some university that was a much lighter blue. I chose the darker version for an almost tone-on-tone look.
Michael also had some university that was a much lighter blue. I chose the darker version for an almost tone-on-tone look.
It looks great. Blues can be a real bitch to match up felt to ribbon. I think in the end a tone on tone looks the best. I have two with lighter ribbons and it just looks off.

Really diggin the nutrias, Brent. I also thoroughly enjoy the breakdown of thoughts and comparison, thanks for sharing! I’m tempted on a Gannon Nutria western, but even the proper fedora looks wonderful.

Thanks, Ross. Gannon is not a western hat maker and I think that’s what makes his westerns so great. The lack of stiffeners in some of the nutria felts allow for a great softer western. I have no interest in a $1,500 custom western that is hard as a rock. Some people like that kind of hat, but those stiff westerns are not for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21