Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Belkar

Familiar Face
I don't have a Charcoal hat in the Winchester just a sample swatch. It is a very dark grey bordering on black.
Black is probably my second favorite color behind OD Green. So that will work well for me.
I may have to request a couple swatches if he still does that.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Charcoal is very dark. Granite, to my eyes, runs mid-grey and is felt where you can shift the tint based on the color and width of the ribbon. Here is my Granite with a mid-purple ribbon. This is not a great picture as the Granite is lighter than this picture. @Short Balding Guy has many posts of virtually all of the Gannon felt colors.

20200302_170405.jpg
If you like earth tones give some consideration to the Granite. In the beaver felt it has strong grey tones.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Black is probably my second favorite color behind OD Green. So that will work well for me.
I may have to request a couple swatches if he still does that.

Good morning sir. The respondents to your question I believe are correct with the charcoal beaver felt hue being near a flat black color hue.

Below is a pic that has a charcoal hat in the bottom center(blue-ish ribbon treatment) and top left (matching charcoal ribbon treatment). A granite hue is bottom row right.

i-KzwvLVg-M.jpg

The granite hue is a warm gray with earthy tints.

i-pDnXC4d-M.jpg

In the same vein is the beaver natural hued felt.

i-zHbqFqr-M.jpg

i-VqkpKsW-M.jpg

Several other contributors and I have Gannons in steel gray. That may be a consideration as it pairs easily with a variety of attire.

i-JQtGcSS-M.jpg

The steel is shown in the below pic to contrast with the whiskey and blue.

i-6BJcwVR-M.jpg

Here is a pic with almost all of my Gannon fedoras. This pic should provide relative hue comparisons.

i-MJBPpHJ-M.jpg

Cheers to your designing your new hat, Eric -

Good morning sir. The respondents to your question I believe are correct with the charcoal beaver felt hue being near a flat black color hue.

Below is a pic that has a charcoal hat in the bottom center(blue-ish ribbon treatment) and top left (matching charcoal ribbon treatment). A granite hue is bottom row right.
A great gallery of Gannons
i-KzwvLVg-M.jpg

The granite hue is a warm gray with earthy tints.

i-pDnXC4d-M.jpg

In the same vein is the beaver natural hued felt.

i-zHbqFqr-M.jpg

i-VqkpKsW-M.jpg

Several other contributors and I have Gannons in steel gray. That may be a consideration as it pairs easily with a variety of attire.

i-JQtGcSS-M.jpg

The steel is shown in the below pic to contrast with the whiskey and blue.

i-6BJcwVR-M.jpg

Here is a pic with almost all of my Gannon fedoras. This pic should provide relative hue comparisons.

i-MJBPpHJ-M.jpg

Cheers to your designing your new hat, Eric -

Charcoal is very dark. Granite, to my eyes, runs mid-grey and is felt where you can shift the tint based on the color and width of the ribbon. Here is my Granite with a mid-purple ribbon. This is not a great picture as the Granite is lighter than this picture. @Short Balding Guy has many posts of virtually all of the Gannon felt colors.

View attachment 341075

I have two hats in granite. Both are pure beaver dress weight felts sourced from Winchester. One of the hats has distinct brown tones and one has distinct gray tones. I’m not the only one who has seen this. I think that colors can shift from one dye lot to the next, but it seems to be more pronounced in granite.

Belkar

Familiar Face
If you use google to search The Fedora Lounge you can find find photos of Gannons in Charcoal. You can also just spend some time going back through this thread…time well spent.

I use my phone primarily for the forum. The results I get doing this are mixed.

Either way, I’ve sent Mr. Gannon the deposit to order a Charcoal, Western Weight 100X.

I’ve not yet committed to a Ribbon color. I would appreciate any and all thoughts on the subject.

I use my phone primarily for the forum. The results I get doing this are mixed.

Either way, I’ve sent Mr. Gannon the deposit to order a Charcoal, Western Weight 100X.

I’ve not yet committed to a Ribbon color. I would appreciate any and all thoughts on the subject.

I use my phone exclusively for this site. It was easier before they parted ways with Tapatalk.

What style of hat are you going for? Michael doesn’t offer the wide range of styles that others do. What Michael does do is make the best hat available in the styles he does make. Are you going with an outdoorsy fedora? A thin ribbon western dress? A true western? I suspect that since you specified western weight it’s not going to be a dress fedora.

Some of the nicest custom hats I own were the result of letting the hatter chose the colors. Don’t feel that you have to come up with the colors on your own; ask Michael for his suggestions.

I have two hats in granite. Both are pure beaver dress weight felts sourced from Winchester. One of the hats has distinct brown tones and one has distinct gray tones. I’m not the only one who has seen this. I think that colors can shift from one dye lot to the next, but it seems to be more pronounced in granite.
Yes, I have two Winchester granite...one is def grey...the other in rabbit felt is very much a brown hat. I put the difference down to the different furs taking the dye differently but perhaps that is not it.

Belkar

Familiar Face
I use my phone exclusively for this site. It was easier before they parted ways with Tapatalk.

What style of hat are you going for? Michael doesn’t offer the wide range of styles that others do. What Michael does do is make the best hat available in the styles he does make. Are you going with an outdoorsy fedora? A thin ribbon western dress? A true western? I suspect that since you specified western weight it’s not going to be a dress fedora.

Some of the nicest custom hats I own were the result of letting the hatter chose the colors. Don’t feel that you have to come up with the colors on your own; ask Michael for his suggestions.

Outdoorsy Fedora is probably the best description I can think of for what I have in my head and have described to Michael.

My Specs so far, as communicated: Size 7 1/4, 3.5 inch brim (bound), crown creased to a teardrop shape at about 4.5-5 inches.

Outdoorsy Fedora is probably the best description I can think of for what I have in my head and have described to Michael.

My Specs so far, as communicated: Size 7 1/4, 3.5 inch brim (bound), crown creased to a teardrop shape at about 4.5-5 inches.

Just as some alternative ideas:

a leather hat band could also work well with such a hat.
I’m also a big fan of snakeskin hat bands and one could look great with your hat. The lady I get my snakeskin hat bands from on Etsy has wonderful patterns and colors to choose from.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/snakeskin-hat-bands.101100/

Belkar

Familiar Face
Just as some alternative ideas:

a leather hat band could also work well with such a hat.
I’m also a big fan of snakeskin hat bands and one could look great with your hat. The lady I get my snakeskin hat bands from on Etsy has wonderful patterns and colors to choose from.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/snakeskin-hat-bands.101100/

That’s quite nice looking. But not what I’m looking for at this point. I’m certain I’m going to go with a modest width ribbon.

Though as far as Rattlesnake goes, I could always go back home to Western South Dakota and hunt one for that purpose. Ran into a ton of them as a kid.

My latest Gannon has arrived! I sent Michael a photo of a pre-War Stetson No.1 that I have and asked if he cound come close to duplicating it for me. This is the Stetson:

1C87746A-10AE-4DAD-9C7A-FBACFB6F6718.jpeg
0DBF33E6-0746-489E-B5C6-E3789F86B346.jpeg
13639C94-415C-4EB1-B273-0B9F550B10A8.jpeg

I sent Michael another of the 100% nutria 220g western hat bodies from Sunshine. I again went with natural: both for the color and because these are so much less stiff than some of the other colors.

According to Michael, the crown is just over six inches and the brim is 3 3/4” before the curl. I had asked for more curl but Michael on has one size curling shackle.

2CC847FC-5BB7-41E2-958D-DB3B01B69CD6.jpeg
2CC847FC-5BB7-41E2-958D-DB3B01B69CD6.jpeg
6A7C1654-598C-413C-844C-B611041EDADD.jpeg

More below:

Attachments

• 9DE18247-414E-41A8-816B-11E92FC2BEC3.jpeg
    9DE18247-414E-41A8-816B-11E92FC2BEC3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 506
  • 7B4D30CA-7C23-471C-BB7C-E6A9F9B300E7.jpeg
    7B4D30CA-7C23-471C-BB7C-E6A9F9B300E7.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 509
6732A0A7-DF06-485D-B823-56C13B971274.jpeg
C7FF7B2B-2266-4C6D-9E15-8B6A38C723C1.jpeg
8A9E3B8B-6339-4C31-88B5-6316FEC93FB4.jpeg
AA3F947C-5542-406E-BF66-128B79EB130A.jpeg
0E2369AF-0CE3-47FC-A7B3-95980E55F7E6.jpeg

Michael nailed it. While not an exact copy, it has feel that I was looking for.

I can’t overstate just how soft and delightful the felt is. The crown is thin and has minimal stiffeners. When it was open crown I could blow a dent into the felt. It took some steam to get the shape to hold, but the felt is glorious. The brim is stiffer, as it should be, but it’s not at all modern western stiff.

Boomerang

One of the Regulars

I can’t overstate just how soft and delightful the felt is. The crown is thin and has minimal stiffeners. When it was open crown I could blow a dent into the felt. It took some steam to get the shape to hold, but the felt is glorious. The brim is stiffer, as it should be, but it’s not at all modern western stiff.
Wow! That's a stunner, Brent. I hope you keep that one relatively high in your rotation. I won't complain if it makes an appearance in WHAYWT now and then.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, Brent. Michael keeps getting better and better.

View attachment 341577 View attachment 341578 View attachment 341579 View attachment 341580 View attachment 341581

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ