Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Mine is not exactly the same, but a very similar style. It's hard to beat a Gannon.

My hat is on the way! Western in natural with sand ribbon. 4" brim after curl, tallest crown Michael can do. Can't wait to decide on a crown shape when it gets here.
View attachment 532433

20230124_072226.jpg

If only Michael could get hat bodies from Winchester. I’m waiting on two and one is approaching a year. I have one under construction, but that’s only because I sent him the felt.

Mike at Northwest told me he recently received some felt he had on back order from Winchester, but there is still more demand than supply.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Yep, still no word on Charcoal.

If only Michael could get hat bodies from Winchester. I’m waiting on two and one is approaching a year. I have one under construction, but that’s only because I sent him the felt.

Mike at Northwest told me he recently received some felt he had on back order from Winchester, but there is still more demand than supply.

hambone71

Practically Family
I’m in queue for a 6 ounce (my first) beaver in steel and a dress weight beaver in bone. Patience…not an easy thing for me.
I should be about 2 weeks out from my next Gannon. I told Michael my preferences in dress weight beaver are Sahara and Bone. He said he was out of Bone. That simplified matters for me.

hambone71

Practically Family
Sahara is a great color. Is it dress weight or western?
Dress weight. The 25th will put me at the 2 month mark since I re-entered. I'm basically having the same hat made as my OR clone but I'm going with a mid ribbon this time. My OR clone was in natural dress beaver with a thin ribbon in commando. This one will be in Sahara with a contrasting mid ribbon, maybe a shade of brown. Not sure yet.

Dress weight. The 25th will put me at the 2 month mark since I re-entered. I'm basically having the same hat made as my OR clone but I'm going with a mid ribbon this time. My OR clone was in natural dress beaver with a thin ribbon in commando. This one will be in Sahara with a contrasting mid ribbon, maybe a shade of brown. Not sure yet.

Very nice. I don’t think there has been a time I haven’t been in his queue during the last few years. On my current build (done next week???) I let Michael make most of the decisions. It’s a very unusual felt color so I let him decide what would work best. Some of my best hats were when I decided to just trust him.

hambone71

Practically Family
Is the 6oz you speak of a western weight? Does 6oz pertain to the actual weight of the body or does it pertain more to the density of the felt? I just know that dress weight is thinner and lighter where western is heavier and stiffer.

chivaceae

New in Town
A few days ago I received my new hat from Mr. Gannon, a western fedora using a FEPSA dress weight body in flagstone color. I asked for a hat resembling Stetson OR dimensions, actually more like those on a Stetson Ranger. I am very pleased with it!

Specs: 5.5" crown, 3" brim (bound in 3/8" ribbon in color close to that of body), slightly curved sides, and a burgundy 1/2" crown ribbon with a very small black accent on the bow (I purposely requested colors matching the burgundy sweatband and the black liner inside the hat).

Here are a few pics (two from Michael, and one from me showing a preliminary bashing and brim adjustment).
Raul
Gannon-Flagstone-29June2023-2.jpg

Gannon-Flagstone-29June2023-3.jpg

Gannon-Flagstone_bashed.jpg

Is the 6oz you speak of a western weight? Does 6oz pertain to the actual weight of the body or does it pertain more to the density of the felt? I just know that dress weight is thinner and lighter where western is heavier and stiffer.

The 6oz is a less common felt offering from Winchester. It’s western, but it’s supposedly thinner. I’m hoping it will make a closer approximation of a vintage hat.

A few days ago I received my new hat from Mr. Gannon, a western fedora using a FEPSA dress weight body in flagstone color. I asked for a hat resembling Stetson OR dimensions, actually more like those on a Stetson Ranger. I am very pleased with it!

Specs: 5.5" crown, 3" brim (bound in 3/8" ribbon in color close to that of body), slightly curved sides, and a burgundy 1/2" crown ribbon with a very small black accent on the bow (I purposely requested colors matching the burgundy sweatband and the black liner inside the hat).

Here are a few pics (two from Michael, and one from me showing a preliminary bashing and brim adjustment).
Raul
View attachment 532599
View attachment 532600

View attachment 532601

Flagstone is a great color. Did Michael have the felt or did you provide it?

Here’s my Gannon in flagstone:

IMG_2174.jpeg
IMG_2175.jpeg
IMG_2176.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner