Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

hambone71

Practically Family
The 6oz is a less common felt offering from Winchester. It’s western, but it’s supposedly thinner. I’m hoping it will make a closer approximation of a vintage hat.
I see. I know that when I watch those old timey westerns, their hats are noticeably thinner, almost like a dress weight. The brims bend somewhat with ease during a strong gust of wind or when the cowboy handles his hat by the brim. That's something that would never happen with a modern western hat.

I see. I know that when I watch those old timey westerns, their hats are noticeably thinner, almost like a dress weight. The brims bend somewhat with ease during a strong gust of wind or when the cowboy handles his hat by the brim. That's something that would never happen with a modern western hat.

Absolutely. Many (most?) modern western hat buyers would not like even the best vintage hats from the golden era. Tastes and expectations seemed to have changed over the years. I think it was more a matter of hat companies making inferior felt, albeit some was/is pure beaver, and the customers gradually coming to think it was good quality as there wasn’t anything better to compare it to. I’m sure modern western felt is ideal for some, but it leaves me disappointed. Michael has done some great work trying to replicate the qualities of vintage felt using what’s currently available.

mullitt

Familiar Face
I got my hat! And to add to the discussion, one thing I wanted was a soft, hand moldable crown like vintage felt. Michael delivered:
IMG_0018.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Very nice!

A few days ago I received my new hat from Mr. Gannon, a western fedora using a FEPSA dress weight body in flagstone color. I asked for a hat resembling Stetson OR dimensions, actually more like those on a Stetson Ranger. I am very pleased with it!

Specs: 5.5" crown, 3" brim (bound in 3/8" ribbon in color close to that of body), slightly curved sides, and a burgundy 1/2" crown ribbon with a very small black accent on the bow (I purposely requested colors matching the burgundy sweatband and the black liner inside the hat).

Here are a few pics (two from Michael, and one from me showing a preliminary bashing and brim adjustment).
Raul
View attachment 532599
View attachment 532600

View attachment 532601

mullitt

Familiar Face
I decided on a shape for the crown of my new hat:
IMG_0036.jpeg 71123844781__3507F49E-F083-48A8-AA7F-8E12FEDF91DE.fullsizerender.jpeg
Now I just need to decide if I want to keep the brim flat or curve it slightly on the sides. I’ll wear it as-is for awhile and see how it feels.
I’ve learned a lot about hats in the past decade, and since it’s all self directed there’s some obvious stuff that I was in the dark about for a long time. I bought an Akubra Woomera 3 or so years ago because I wanted to shape it in a similar way, but I could never get it exactly how I wanted but didn’t know why.
The quality of the felt, the taper of the crown and the brim and even slight differences in height or width can change so much. It’s hard to make this hat into something I don’t like, whereas other hats I’ve had I had to work hard to make them into something I do.
All that to say: it’s worth it to get a custom hat. Especially working with someone like Michael who really knows his stuff.

Last edited:
I decided on a shape for the crown of my new hat:
View attachment 533071 View attachment 533072
Now I just need to decide if I want to keep the brim flat or curve it slightly on the sides. I’ll wear it as-is for awhile and see how it feels.
I’ve learned a lot about hats in the past decade, and since it’s all self directed there’s some obvious stuff that I was in the dark about for a long time. I bought an Akubra Woomera 3 or so years ago because I wanted to shape it in a similar way, but I could never get it exactly how I wanted but didn’t know why.
The quality of the felt, the taper of the crown and the brim and even slight differences in height or width can change so much. It’s hard to make this hat into something I don’t like, whereas other hats I’ve had I had to work hard to make them into something I do.
All that to say: it’s worth it to get a custom hat. Especially working with someone like Michael who really knows his stuff.

I have a similar Gannon in natural. The felt is easily shaped and re-shaped. Gannon works magic with modern felt.

IMG_2191.jpeg
IMG_2192.jpeg
IMG_2194.jpeg
IMG_2195.jpeg

My latest Gannon:

100% beaver FEPSA felt. Tim at Pure Beaver calls the color Pale Whale.
Narrow brim binding
6 ¼” open crown
3 ⅛” brim
Diamond pattern venting on the side of the crown

I let Michael make a lot of decisions on this hat. He hand-dyed the ribbon to get the color he wanted and he chose the “bow” style. The felt on the crown is very thin and soft. It was all shaped dry.

IMG_2544.jpeg
IMG_2545.jpeg
IMG_2555.jpeg
IMG_2549.jpeg
IMG_2550.jpeg
IMG_2548.jpeg
IMG_2552.jpeg

Notice the larger branding:

IMG_2580.jpeg
IMG_2581.jpeg
IMG_2582.jpeg

Last edited:

quikrick

One Too Many
My latest Gannon:

Narrow brim binding
6 ¼” open crown
3 ⅛” brim

I let Michael make a lot of decisions on this hat. He hand-dyed the ribbon to get the color he wanted and he chose the “bow” style. The felt on the crown is very thin and soft. It was all shaped dry.

View attachment 537475 View attachment 537476 View attachment 537477 View attachment 537478 View attachment 537479 View attachment 537480 View attachment 537481
That’s a real nice one Brent.
EXCELLENT!

For @suitedcboy and whoever else is interested in a review of the felt.

I procured the felt myself and sent it to Gannon. Gannon doesn’t normally stock FEPSA felt and he has told me a few times that he prefers working with Winchester beaver felt.

I have a few 100% beaver hats made from FEPSA felt. I’ll start by saying this latest hat in pale whale is my favorite as far as the felt goes. It has some spring back so not the “molds like clay” variety. However, Michael made the crown very thin and it shapes like a dream. All my shaping has been done dry and so far I haven’t had the remotest desire to steam it. The brim is more substantial in both thickness and firmness. The brim is not at all harsh or stiff, but it definitely adds structure and form to the hat. It has a fairly shallow flange and took a minute to get the shape where I wanted it (again, no steam or water). The hand is lovely. It’s very soft and doesn’t have the dry feeling that Winchester felt can sometimes have. There is a very slight and very tight waffle texture in the surface of the felt that Michael noticed right off. He’s also noticed it in other FEFSA felt. It’s hard to see and isn’t a detraction to me, but others may feel differently.

This is the first of my several FEPSA felt hats that I can say I really do see as superior to my favorite Winchester beaver felt hats. It’s not a clear winner, and it’s really just more different than better, but if I’m honest I do like it slightly more than my favorite Winchester felt hats.

hambone71

Practically Family
My latest Gannon:

Narrow brim binding
6 ¼” open crown
3 ⅛” brim

View attachment 537475 View attachment 537476 View attachment 537477 View attachment 537478 View attachment 537479 View attachment 537480 View attachment 537481
That's one fine looking hat, Brent! Mine goes into production tomorrow! I'm stoked!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Another nice one, sir. A very spring-like color that should look great all year long.

I'm glad the felt worked out to your liking. Your description seems to be very close to vintage felt and also similar to how Michael worked out my latest homburg with a very thin and moldable crown and a more firm and structured brim.

20230514_074317.jpg

My latest Gannon:

Narrow brim binding
6 ¼” open crown
3 ⅛” brim

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran