Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Rumad

One Too Many
Day three, the Gannon sees a little weather...
C67DC8FE-524E-456A-A39E-3ECC8DAE64C1.jpeg
31369A15-4C62-453F-848B-BEA3829A414C.jpeg

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have yet to wear this Gunsmoke FEPSA Gannon outside the house. Pic does not show the cool blue-purple hues in the Lagoon crown ribbon. Still just a dry crease in this one.... it is better than I recall when I boxed it up for storage a few months ago!

Attachments

• Gannon FEPSA Gunsmoke_Lagoon_02.jpeg
    Gannon FEPSA Gunsmoke_Lagoon_02.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:

Tukwila

My latest Gannon:
This is a 100% nutria fur felt from Sunrise Hat Supply in Berkeley, California. The color is their version of Natural. I received the hat body from Sunrise and immediately noticed that it was a LOT less stiff than my previous two western hat bodies. The unfinished felt gave me great hope for the hat. I sent the felt to Gannon with a request that the crown thickness and feel be made more like a cross between a fedora and a typical western. Michael didn’t have a flange for the 3 1/2” brim that I wanted, so I bought the flange from the Hatters Supply House and had it shipped to Michael. The hat has an open crown of just under 6 1/2 inches and a bound brim width of 3 1/2 inches. The felt is absolutely incredible! It isn’t the clay or putty type that stays wherever you put it, but it’s soft and with gentle pressure you can crease the crown deeply and it’s also pops back to open crown without fuss and without crease lines in the felt. A little steam got it to stay in whatever crease I wanted. Michael chose the ribbon and binding, and I mostly stayed out of his way.

View attachment 300819 View attachment 300820 View attachment 300821 View attachment 300822 View attachment 300823 View attachment 300824 View attachment 300825 View attachment 300826 View attachment 300827

The felt really does change color depending on the light.

I can’t overstate how happy I am with how the hat turned out. Michael exceeded my already high expectations in every way! For my uses and preferences it’s heads and shoulders better than Winchester’s western beaver felt. This is close to great vintage western felt, and that’s saying something. My concerns are you don’t know what kind of felt you’re going to get from Sunrise until you have it in hand.
I had to go back and save these pictures for future reference. Michael said he might be ordering some additional 3.5" flanges..... I sure love how your nutria Gannon turned out Brent. Word has it, your sage is coming soon. :cool:

Did Michael use the Commando ribbon on this one @deadlyhandsome ?

I had to go back and save these pictures for future reference. Michael said he might be ordering some additional 3.5" flanges..... I sure love how your nutria Gannon turned out Brent. Word has it, your sage is coming soon. :cool:

Did Michael use the Commando ribbon on this one @deadlyhandsome ?

Thanks, Doug. I’m not sure what the ribbon color is: I’m not very good at keeping records. I told Michael what I wanted and he sent me a photo which I approved and that was that.

The additional $200+ for a flange makes a hat a lot more expensive, but still less than what most of the western custom hatters charge. I also like having my own flange now for 3 1/2” brims...a 7 7/8 long oval 3 1/2 brim flange is not something I was likely to find on the vintage market. It’s good news if Michael is investing in more wider/western flanges.

I’m very excited about the sage! Should be soon.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Had this one a while. For those of you tormenting yourselves over color choices here is my Gannon Steel Beaver with Navy ribbon and binding.
View attachment 317129
View attachment 317130

I like the navy mid-sized ribbon treatment you chose. It really grabs my eye and says look at me.
I selected a mid-ribbon charcoal ribbon for my Gannon "Wanderer" using the steel beaver felt. I took inspiration from the vintage Stetson Wanderer when choosing dimensions, ribbon and edge treatment.

i-JQtGcSS-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Tukwila

We've got votes for one navy and 2 charcoals. That's what's so great about custom hats. We all get to choose what we like best. I have a steel custom hat with silver colored ribbon... but for a mid-ribbon like this I really like the navy ribbon, too, but I think I'd go with a brim binding that closely matches the felt.

I keep going back to look at your new lid, @Scooterz ! It really is a sharp looking hat! Makes me want to get a second fedora in steel felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner