Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I know this is incredibly easy to say and extremely difficult to do, but some of these small builders might get together and order/buy as a block to gain some leverage. That does not solve the labor situation but it might get them in the queue.
Lots of hatters are having a hard time getting felt from Winchester. Robert @belfastboy was told that Winchester can’t get people to work at their felt plant so they are running way below pre-Covid capacity. Winchester hasn’t accepted new customers for years and in the last couple of years they have dropped some of their smaller volume customers.

You are not making me happy, Brent. Just so you know!

Michael is a great guy and a great milliner I hope things work out.

Gannon Gambler
View attachment 589482 View attachment 589483

He’s a special hatter. I hope he’s able to keep getting felt and making hats. I think he’s going to keep trying with FEPSA, but Pure Beaver is frequently out of stock of felt too.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Lots of hatters are having a hard time getting felt from Winchester. Robert @belfastboy was told that Winchester can’t get people to work at their felt plant so they are running way below pre-Covid capacity. Winchester hasn’t accepted new customers for years and in the last couple of years they have dropped some of their smaller volume customers.
Geez didn’t know all that. Too bad.

tamz0r

Familiar Face
New hat day! This is my first bone colored hat. I sent Michael a pic of a hat he‘d made many years ago and asked him to include vent holes and he absolutely hit it out of the park!

very soft felt, easily creased, i think the color will be quite versatile.

details: 5 5/8” open crown, 2 1/2” brim

cheers!
IMG_2478.jpeg

I know this is incredibly easy to say and extremely difficult to do, but some of these small builders might get together and order/buy as a block to gain some leverage. That does not solve the labor situation but it might get them in the queue.
Winchester is not accepting any new customers as they are having a hard enough time satisfying their present clients. Begging, pleading, crying, setting up a consortium......all fell on deaf ears. Even FEPSA won't accept new customers.....except the odds and ends they sell on their own website.
Winchester said clients that for years purchased 2-300 felts are now purchasing triple that. It seems as though the market has grown that much.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Very classic and very modern, Tam. That is one I may have to copy.

I should have a "new" granite fedora in about 2 weeks.

New hat day! This is my first bone colored hat. I sent Michael a pic of a hat he‘d made many years ago and asked him to include vent holes and he absolutely hit it out of the park!

very soft felt, easily creased, i think the color will be quite versatile.

details: 5 5/8” open crown, 2 1/2” brim

cheers! View attachment 597687

jdouglasj

Familiar Face
I apologize if this question posts twice...I don't know what happened to my previous attempt.

I have a question about the ventilation holes. Namely, do they make a significant difference in cooling things down? I have two Gannon hats and a third one is on the way. I would prefer not to put the holes in it, but I would if I knew they really make a noticeable difference.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I apologize if this question posts twice...I don't know what happened to my previous attempt.

I have a question about the ventilation holes. Namely, do they make a significant difference in cooling things down? I have two Gannon hats and a third one is on the way. I would prefer not to put the holes in it, but I would if I knew they really make a noticeable difference.
It seems like the experience varies from person to person.

Honestly, I want a vented hat if the temp is between 80 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Above 90 and I’m reaching for straw anyway, below 80 and I don’t really think about it much (although I must admit that my vented hats seem lighter and maybe even easier to wear all year round - and I have heard other loungers express similar opinions).

But I have also heard others claim to not notice a difference at all, so I don’t think there’s an objective position on it.

Mighty44

One Too Many

I don’t think they make any appreciable difference—but they LOOK cool!

jdouglasj

Familiar Face
Thanks for the perspective on the ventilation. I like wearing hats, but I notoriously overheat. I even overheat in my panama when it's 82 degrees. I recently purchased a fine looking boater...I'm hoping my body learns how to acclimate!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner