Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M422a Interior Finish

Bucket

Familiar Face
I am in the process of finalizing my order on an Aero M422a and would like your opinion\experience on interior finish material. The jacket comes stock with a satin rayon interior, however I am planning on using the jacket for fall\winter months. Will the jacket be warm enough with some layering with just the satin rayon interior or should I consider using an alpaca or heavy tartan interior? Will a heavier material distort the appearance of the jacket? I specifically chose this style because it appears to be the slimmest of Aeros military collection.....I do not want to ruin the slim fit look.

I am not overly concerned about maintaining the period correct authenticity, as I am removing the bi swing back also.
Thanks for the help.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
My two cents- stick with the spec lining. True to the contract originals, and a nice aestetic detail. That jacket will be plenty warm (with a little layering) regardless of the lining chosen. It's surprisingly durable stuff too.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The decisive factor would be your build. Unless you are very lean, a slim cut can become uncomfortably tight when you layer. A warm cloth liner without too much thickness would remove the need for one layer. Sweaters are a particular issue as they almost always blouse at the waist, just where a Navy jacket nips in.

Last edited:

Otter

One Too Many
My tuppence on this is that if you go for a thicker liner you are probably going to loose the nice "slimline" fitted look of an M422, they are more fitted than later G1 jackets. If you go up a size and layer then it might look baggy but hey, look at the photos of WWII, most pilots didn't seem to have perfect fit jackets, Doolittle raid photos are a classic of this. End of the day, there was a reason the issued those fleece jackets!

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
A change of lining and bi-swing? Your choice of course, but at what point do you stop calling it an M-422A? ;-)

A M422/G1 will keep me comfortable down to about 55-60 degrees. They are really not a "cold weather" design.
I could see alpaca lining getting you down to around 45-50 degrees. You would probably want to upsize a bit if you ordered an alpaca lined M422 or G1. I'd check with Aero..

Below that if you want a leather flight jacket that will keep you warm I'd recommend looking at something with sheepskin lining. If you want a repro military style leather jacket, a D1, B6, B3 or Irvin depending on how cold it will be.
If civilian, something like an Aero Thunder Bay.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I would hesitate to change the specs at all. If you need a cold weather jacket, I would consider something else completely different. There are some jackets not designed for layering.

Bucket

Familiar Face
Thank you everyone for your replies, I greatly appreciate your opinions and insight. It seems like I have really struck a cord when mentioning that I was planning on altering the milspec. Can you suggest any other Aero military offering that might fit what I am looking for? I'd prefer a slim fitting, non-biswing back jacket? I've looked at some of the other Aero military designs and it appears that most tend to bag at the waist where the leather meets the knitting. I'd prefer a jacket that is seal or black in color.
Thanks in advance.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I hear Aero's 1938 and '40 A-2s are pretty slim cut. And I believe they will make either in seal. You would have a pretty rare repro with either, as they aren't that popular, especially in the states.

Bucket

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the responses ..... I am totally confused as to which jacket to get now. I think I like too many.

Thanks for all the responses ..... I am totally confused as to which jacket to get now. I think I like too many.

From your initial post, I understand you are looking for a jacket to wear in cold weather....perhaps with layering.
A2's are not warm jackets. They also tend not to be the most comfortable design....especially if layering underneath them, especially if going with a "slim fit".
I think I'd try to prioritize your needs.
What is most important to you...a cold weather leather jacket? Military jacket? Slim fit jacket?
If a relatively slim fit military jacket that you can wear in moderately cool weather fits your need, I'd recommend a M422...non-modiied;

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=98

If slimer fit is not the main thing you are worried about, and you want a military spec leather jacket to wear in colder weather...you have more choices.
A D1, B6, B3, Irvin, or ANJ 4 would be where I'd look.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=72

If your main priority is slim fit and military leather repro jacket..and you don't care about using it in cold weather / not being able to layer under it easily, then an A2. Some A2 designs are slimmer than others. I personally find slimmer A2 designs uncomfortable. I am fairly muscular, and they don't give me the movement room I want.

Last edited:

paulgt3

Familiar Face
What ever you get it sounds like You NEED a mid winter jacket. Not a Heavy winter like the B-3 or
a light jacket like the A-2. You want something like a B-6. Since you want the fur collar that would work
and have the lining you want. OR you can get your M422 and layer underneath, like a sweatshirt.
But I have the M422 and its Beautiful, but definitely like a spring or fall light jacket just a tad warmer than
the A2. Or you can get the D-1 like this http://www.flightjacket.com/d-1-sheepskin-jacket.html
and its on sale. Or you can order a B-3 from Goodwear and ask John Chapman to shorten the length of
the wool.
Personally I would order your M422 like you want and layer underneath. Thats what I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21