Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mac cosmetics

kerry

One of the Regulars
Hi, I have completely run out of foundation and thought I might try a new one. Im also still searching for the perfect lipstick.
Is it worth an hours journey to MAC. Ive never really tried any mac cosmetics, so dont know if their mineral foundation would be any good for a mature skin (Im 40) or should I try Estee Lauder?
Kerry

Naama

Practically Family
I never tried the mineral foundation, but stay away from their "Studio Tech" powder + foundation! When I put it on, it looks horribe! And it isn't matte (at least on my skin) so I have to put some powder over it, what makes it look much worse! Maybe it's just my skin... I don't know.... But a friend of mine also had some troubles with a MAC foundation, and his skin is much better then mine.... I don't know... There powder is pretty good though....

Naama

Aorta

Familiar Face
Hi Kerry,

The next MAC counter here is also one hour away, but I would say, yes, it's definitely worth the time it takes to get there. Visiting that counter makes me always feel like I am on a big playground, because it's such a fun to try all the stuff they offer. I use the "Studio Fix Powder Foundation", the colour is perfect, but after an hour (!) my skin starts looking greasy with it. So I would recommend you: Forget about the foundation, look for lipsticks and eyeshadows. I collect lipsticks and I really love the ones from MAC. What kind of lipstick colour are you looking for? I can recommend "See Sheer", that's a nice, peachy tone that suits everyone. It is very versatile -if you apply it lightly it looks translucent, almost like a gloss (perfect for everyday wear). If you apply it more often, it is an opaque peachy colour, but still not too flashy.
Or are you looking for the perfect red lipstick? Look at your skintone, is it rather warm or cool? I am very pale, still my complexion is warm - I often use "Lady Danger", that's a rusty red. "Russian Red" is rather cool, but it also suits me. You could also try "Ruby Woo" and "MAC Red", they are on the cooler side.

Have fun!

P.S.: I always go out of the shop and examine the colours of the lipsticks in the daylight, because artificial light can make the colours look different.

kerry

One of the Regulars
Hi, Thanks Naama and Aorta,
Yes, Im still searching for that perfect red.:D I think I need a brick red as my hair is red, also as Ive got older I have to be careful, some vivid reds look really awful on me now:( I'll ty out the foundation.
I think I will take a trip to the counter tomorrow.
I suddenly seem to need everything, makeup,shoes, nail polish, moisturiser.....the list is endless:D

Madison Paige

Familiar Face
I'm a huge fan of MAC and since I was about fifteen I've gone through every different foundation and powder that they sell and hated them all. This was absolutly heart breaking to me because I wanted to be able to use them since they came in so many different shades to match my skintone so perfectly but they would just make my face to shiney when they claimed to be matte or the foundation would just slip off my face. I recently went into the store for one last go since they had some new lines out. I tried out the Full Coverage foundation which I use just in problem areas almost as a concealer (which you may or may not need) and then I use the Mineralize Skinfinish Natural over my entire face and it just looks beautiful!! I've been wearing it for almost a year now and my face is always matte, and I don't get that disgusting powder look since it's a mineral makeup. Anyways, that was probably way to long of a story just to recommend a product, but it always seems to help to know how well it actually works. Good luck and have fun on your MAC trip!

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
I've tried MAC's Studio Fix Foundation and Studio Fix Powder. The Foundation I found is similar to Revlon Color Stay for me so I just use Revlon and save on some extra cash. As for the Powder it coats very well but if you try to touch up it starts to look cakey on me and I don't have oily skin at all. I would stick with MAC just for their lip products and eyeshadows.

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
wow! I am astonished. I have been using Studio Fix for years and love it. Its the only foundation that has truely worked on me. I have combination skin but small pores (low breakouts). But my olive skin tends to get a bit of a sheen. Usually foundation just disappears after an hour. This stuff makes my skin look flawless all day. I do touch up with the Blotting Powder compact but thats it.

I tried thier mineral powder a few months ago and didn't care for it. I just didn't feel like it was enough coverage and it didn't stick with me long. The MAC guy told me it replaced my loose powder application. But I don't do that so I wasn't gonna bother with another step.

I would suggest trying the foundation. Check out the Blotting powder if thats something you need. And have fun! I looooove going to the MAC counter and chillin with the drag queens!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I've been suckered into buy several mac foundations, and I hate them all. I didn't buy the mineral one though, however, since it is for normal to dry skin it would probably make me break out like their other formulas (which all make me look like death if they are full coverage or just plain horrible if the coverage is too light). I've heard from a photographer that he's heard a lot of complaints from models that MAC causes breakouts, but makeup artists all seem to like it, probably because they have a lot of fashionable colors. Still, their foundations just haven't worked for me.

On the other hand since they have a great range of color cosmetics, especially lipsticks and eye shadows, they are a great counter to visit, and they aren't as expensive as my favorite brand, Chanel.

I've had okay luck with Estee Lauder foundations, except that I am more pale now and they are mostly too dark for me now.

Hopefully you can try them out before you buy them, if you like the way it looks and feels go for it, but if their makeup artists can't make it look good on you forget about it.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I've tried 2 MAC foundations and I wouldn't recommend either of them, particularly the horrible Studio Tech! I've used Select which was far too sheer for me in terms of coverage. I then tried Studio Tech as I'd heard it was better for fuller coverage but this was really bad stuff - it looked very cakey, made my pores look very obvious and the worst thing about it was that it made me break out. I have combination/acne prone skin anyway but I really noticed the amount of spots I got when using this (and I have since read about other people breaking out using it too.) However I really like their concealers, lipsticks and eyeshadows - I just wouldn't go near their foundations again!

I'm going to try Estee Lauder next actually. I got a sample of their Double Wear and Ideal Matte and they're quite good. I originally wanted to try their Maximum Coverage foundation but the lightest shade they do is too orange for me. I would recommend getting some samples of the over the counter cosmetics lines to avoid spending £20-£30 on something unsuitable.

kerry

One of the Regulars
Thanks everyone, I must admit the only reason Im tempted by the foundations is because they do a few very light colours. I will ask for some samples. Fingers crossed I will find that Holy Grail lipstick:D

nyx

One of the Regulars
Lancome

Hi. If you're still looking for a good foundation that comes in a light enough color, I use Lancome's Color Ideal. I'm half-Asian, so I've always had a hard time matching my skin tone. For the first time in my life, my foundation truly matches my skin and it provides a very flawless look. One caveat though, if you have very oily skin, like I do, it does start to melt off a bit in the t-zone after a few hours. That's the only thing I don't like about it. Otherwise, if you have a hard to match skintone and your skin isn't too oily--I'm like the Exxon Valdez spill most days--then you should be fine. Plus, they'll mix up some samples for you to test out for free, which is always a plus.

Adele

One of the Regulars
Every once in a while, I always try to explore and see if I can find any sort of new powder, concealears, etc. but I have to say that lately, Bare Minerals has worked wonderfully.

The best part is that the powder can double as both overall face powder and concealer. It's just all about using the proper brush. Not to mention, it last for a good amount of time.

Perhaps I'm a bit off topic considering you were talking about MAC and foundations, but I just wanted to give my two cents towards recommendations.

kerry

One of the Regulars
Just back fom MAC counter, I didnt like the foundations but came back with a lovely Russian red lipstick:)

laurenbateman

New in Town
mac

As I do modeling I need a good foundation,especially in the studio,and MAC studio tech is the best so far,the problem people may be finding is,to get that certain coverage,you need to apply it bit by bit,with a soft brush,this is the powder/foundation in nc15,I am lucky I have natural pale skin,so I use the same color as Dita Von Teese,she swears by it,so do I,I think its going back to the old fact that everyone is different,so thats maybe why some people have had trouble with it,personally If you apply moisturizer,let it sink in for about 10 mins,then apply the foundation,over concealer for those reddy patches and blemishes,it should stay for quite a while. I recon you should get one of the makeup artists to test it on you,walk about for a bit,see how it stays on you for a bout an hour,then make a decision,good luck doll xoxoxo

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
laurenbateman said:
As I do modeling I need a good foundation,especially in the studio,and MAC studio tech is the best so far,the problem people may be finding is,to get that certain coverage,you need to apply it bit by bit,with a soft brush.

I do that with studio fix too. I've been using the kabuki brush and then patting it flat (rolling technique like the make up artist). Works great.

l
laurenbateman said:
Lucky I have natural pale skin,so I use the same color as Dita Von Teese

She is my fashion Hero!

Velma the Diva

New in Town
I've come into this thread a bit late, but I've had a problem with MAC, and had to fall back on my old reliables Clinque and Almay for foundation.

But since I have older skin I've got to be careful about it caking, so I go sparing on the foundation and just use a little powder, my problem is I have large pores on my nose and foundation and powder just show up right away so that is an area I avoid.

Does anyone have any suggestions to reduce the pore size? I've tried about everything I've been able to come across and nothing seems to work. This was never a problem when I was much younger but as I got older it has become a problem.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot