Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mac cosmetics

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
My sister uses this before applying make-up, and it really works. I'm gonna buy one myself. I also use this. I can't yet say that my pores has gotten smaller, (used it 1,5 weeks now), but it has just magically managed to wash away all my blackheads, so I'm hopeful!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I will agree with Madison~ the Satin Finish Mineral foundation is beautiful on the skin! It has a very slight opalescence that gives a lovely bright finish. I actually mix mine with a bit of moisturizer to thin it out as I cannot wear thick foundation anymore. I definately recommend it. They have come a long way from their theatrical makeup of the past. I used to work for them for 4 years and friends who still work there send me new stuff to try...

Also LADIES if you did not know about their recycling program, if you haven't returned any of the stuff you don't like, recycle! For every 6 MAC plastic containers (lipstick tubes, eyeshadows, bottles, compact etc) you turn it you get a free lipstick!

DrMags

New in Town
For everday use I'm a big fan of the studio fix powder. Just some pre misting with macs prep mist, brush on some studio fix and I'm good to go.

For a night out or a photoshoot I love MACS face and body foundation. Its a liquid, but covers amazingly, and doesnt reflect light (great for photoshoots).

The only problem is that after a couple hours of the face & body, it does FEEL like makeup.

I keep oil adsorbing sheets(Clean & Clear brand) handy on those nights. They remove oil (I have oily skin) w/o removing the makeup

Amelie

A-List Customer
personnaly I've had some very bad experiences with mac foundations. I first tought some of them were right, but then they because to react strangely on my skin... But my skin is quite dry and reacts violently to any kind of foundation anyway. The only one I found which is always good for me is Yves St-Laurent Perfect Touch. Luckily enough, my skin is good enough not to need a lot of coverage, because it is quite sheer.

As for mac lipsticks, I LOVE their colours and have a lot. But just like for my face, my lips are very dry, and I can't wear them for really long. The only lipsticks I can use on a longer period are the Chanel and Lancome ones

Velma the Diva

New in Town
Hi Helen,

I'll give those products you suggested a try, Thank you for recommending them. I'm surprised that my Macy's that's close to me doesn't have it, but I'm going into San Francisco Saturday and try there. I just love shopping in Union Square.;)

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
A Little Late, but may benefit others

I've had the opportunity to be around a lot of different makeup lines as I am a makeup artist.

I have found Prescriptives to have foundations for EVERYONE at a reasonable price. I do not work for Prescriptives. I can't really recommend the big 'three' lines because I personally find the products substandard to work with. I honestly can't see the appeal of them, but to each their own.

MAC has excellent makeup, but the foundation is just 'ok'. I used to work for MAC and love their color.

Some of the older lines haven't really evolved their technology much and the products aren't as good as they can be.

pixie

Familiar Face
I have to agree with most of the answers inregards to the foundations and powders, I have very pale skin and I have never been able to find one there that didn't make me look like I am dead, or like I don't know what color to buy, because it is too dark and looks clownish. I do HIGHLY recommend the eyeshadows, eyepaints, mascara, lipsticks and lipgloss which has an amazing sparkle and smooth texture. One place to try out, which is where I have finally:eusa_clap found a perfect wet/dry powder/foundation is a company called SMASH BOX, they are make up artist quality as well and they have some really great stuff. I just bought the powder and a kabuki brush and a primer from them that makes your skin feel like silk and your powder goes on flawlessly. Good luck and I envy your ability to wear the Russain Red, cause none of their reds look red and me and It drives me nuts!!!:rage:

Blondie

Practically Family
I have very pale skin, MAC works on me perfectly, so many other brands end of going orange on me, ( something to do with the acid in my skin ? ).
I wouldn't rule out ANY brand until you try them for yourself.
Make appointments to get a makeover, don't feel pressured to buy, make sure whatever foundation you end up purchasing , it's because it works on you ! Go outside into the natural light and have a look, enlist a friend to go with you and get her HONEST opinion.
So many people read that some "pin up model " only wears, say, Chanel and then they buy it thinking they will have skin like hers, even though the pic has been airbrushed and photoshopped.
Shop around, get samples & try before you buy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner