Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

make-up for a recovering tomboy

Smumo

New in Town
Okay, so I'm a recovering tomboy. I've gotten into the habit of fixing my hair after years of struggling with that. The whole wet set and sleep on it thing has helped plenty! I still don't wear make-up though. Okay, I do, but only when I have to. I really like the look of the vintage make-up but every time I watch a how-to video they have all this stuff I don't have. It's layers and layers of crud on their face! Very intimidating.

I'm looking for a quick make-up routine. I need to know what the absolute bare minimum of products I should buy are and I need explicit instructions as to their use. I have spent the better part of my life doing glitter chapstick and mascara so all the other stuff is alien to me.

Help?

SheBear74

Practically Family
I may not be totally vintage, but this is what I do. I used a bit of concealer under my eyes (I used this because the foundation over my wrinkles is not a pretty look. lol You can just use foundation instead of the concealer) and a long lasting foundation on my lids, then I put on a bit of blush, some powder over my entire face. Then I put the liquid liner on my top lids, mascara, some lipstick and done. Again I may not be totally vintage, but I figure it's pretty simple and you don't need to much "stuff". :D

SheBear74

Practically Family
Just an fyi. I had posted a vintage b&w video (can't find it at the moment) a while back that showed how to do your make-up. As I recall she didn't even put mascara on her eyes, just foundation, powder, blush and lipstick. You can keep it as simple as you want, you should feel comfortable, not like your wearing a mask. ;)

BettieBombshellBeauty

New in Town
I had to have my routine condensed due to me being lazy and not wanting to get up in the mornings when i'm supposed to.

here's what i use- you can tweak where need be

-tinted moisturizer [ many brands carry already made tinted moisturizer. i typically make my own on the back of my hand, but that may be too much for a recovering tomboy. i speak from expirence on that one. ]

-cheek tint [ again, many brands make this. cheek tint, versus cream, powder, or gel- is basicly fool proof. it doesn't take much time to put on, and you won't have a face that screams "LOOK AT ME! I USED BLUSH!"]

-tinted lip balm or lip stains [since you are graduating from just chapstick, i would never suggest outright lipstick until you feel you are ready for it. There are some companies that have "multiples"- products that can be used for more that one thing. cheek/lip multiples are pretty common]

if you need oil control, pick up a compact of translucent powder so everything doesnt slide off.

hope i helped!

good luck xoxo

rue

The basics every girl should have in my opinion are:

concealer (to cover up blemishes, to put on lids and for under the eyes)
eyelash curler
mascara
blush
chapstick

and you can add liquid liner and lipstick to make it vintage.

Everything else is optional :)

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Something you might try is going to the makeup counter at a department store and and asking them for tips. Let them know you have little experience with make-up and want to start with a basic routine. Most clerks are usually pretty helpful and I know that the ladies at Mac are willing to show you how to use the products without a ton of pressure to buy them all.
Just make sure to tell them specifically what you're looking to achieve- natural, retro, ect.

Other than that, practice practice practice. It really took me years to find out what products work for me and how to do techniques like winged eyeliner. I was in the same boat as I never wore make up until I was in my early 20's. Tutorials helped a lot and if they seem too overwhelming, you can just focus on one aspect of the routine like eyeliner or blush. Super Kawaii Mama has fantastic tutorials that really helped me.

http://www.superkawaiimama.com.au/tag/tutorials/ Good luck!

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
I´m also one of those that started with make up in her early 20s. Just started wearing lipstick regularly this year. So there´s no need to worry. What I use are the following things: Concealer (for under the eyes, my t-zone and the cheeks), black eyeliner (not liquid, I can´t handle that), eyebrow pencil, lipliner (for liplining, painting the whole lip as a foundation and, tadaaaa, a very light rouge), lipstick. That´s it. I don´t even use mascara anymore and buy rather cheap make up by drug store brands mostly. Just experiment with it, it´s fun. And if it doesn´t look good, wash it off and try again ;).

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
For someone who just isn't used to wearing makeup, I'd suggest starting with lipstick. Red lipstick. Maybe have someone at MAC help you pick out a color that is vintage looking, and get used to wearing it. It is the one thing that other people instantly notice, and it's so there. If/when you get used to that, add lip liner and powder. Build from that, and don't let yourself be talked by salespeople into buying anything you won't be using. I think if you try and do too much at first, you'll be overwhelmed AND feel like you're wearing a mask.

Last edited:

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
If you have great skin you don't need foundation or concealer! You can just use the fun stuff that enhances your eyes/cheeks/lips - eyeliner+mascara/rouge/lipstick. i wish i had skin like that!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I didn't start into make-up until I was in my mid 20s. I rarely wear makeup unless Im going out. I hardly wear it during the day, and it would take a dare or a stiff drink to get me to wear it when its hot outside. I don't think it suits me and I touch my face too much.

My make-up consists of loose powder and lip stick. That's it. I have about 3 shades of lippy depending on the time of day, but because my skin is opaque blush looks like blush. I don't treat my eyes because I wear glasses.

I'd say gradually add tinted things to your routine. Tinted sun screen for the face and tinted chap stick. Then as you get comfy, do it up for nights out, then you can graduate to a daily routine.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I didn't start into make-up until I was in my mid 20s. I rarely wear makeup unless Im going out. I hardly wear it during the day, and it would take a dare or a stiff drink to get me to wear it when its hot outside. I don't think it suits me and I touch my face too much.

My make-up consists of loose powder and lip stick. That's it. I have about 3 shades of lippy depending on the time of day, but because my skin is opaque blush looks like blush. I don't treat my eyes because I wear glasses.

I'd say gradually add tinted things to your routine. Tinted sun screen for the face and tinted chap stick. Then as you get comfy, do it up for nights out, then you can graduate to a daily routine.

LD

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I hated makeup until I was about 21. I can't stand having too much crud on my face and it isn't necessary most of the time. I just use a bit of concealer under my eyes to tame the purple circles, but other than that it is just lots of crud on my eyes and my Ruby Woo lipstick :D

No layers of powder or concealer. Ick. I feel dirty just thinking about it. I don't even wear blush because it just makes me think of clogged pores.

Tatum

Practically Family
I have to concur that tinted moisturizer is a necessity. Boots makes one with sunscreen that I can't live without.

What I use if I'm not trying to be pretty, just presentable enough to leave the house, is: tinted moisturizer, eyebrow powder (that is just a must for me:)), powder (I use MAC Studio Fix as it covers everything and stays on all day), mascara and tinted lip balm if I remember to grab it. Florida is really rough on heavy makeup, so that is pretty much my daily routine. I can always add to it later if I want to without having to start over completely.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm glad to see that some other ladies on here don't wear much makeup. I wear lipstick (all sorts of colors, depending upon my mood as the top layer), lip liner (middle layer), and chapstick (as the bottom layer). In the next few years, I'll move to adding some type of eye makeup, if I can get over my fear of sticking things near or around my eye.

I'd recommend starting off with some lip liner. (Just as a warning, it takes trying many different colors of lipstick to find ones you like, or at least it did for me). I can put lipstick on during my bus ride in about 5 minutes, so that makes me happy.

While I personally like the look of lipstick on me, I have lots of freckles that I love, and all powder and foundation do is to cover them up. I like the fresh faced look, I have enough red on my cheeks to be blushed, and enough white on my face to look powdered. The mild bit of acne I have doesn't respond well to stuff on it, so I leave it be.

zombi

A-List Customer
For everyday, I just wear Coty powder, a light blush, tinted chapstick, and mascara. No foundation, no concealer, etc. I didn't start wearing makeup until my 20s either -- it seems like there are a lot of us in this boat!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Makeup didn't hit my face until I was in my mid 20s because I was always athletic and worked up a sweat (or a glisten, as some of the ladies of decades gone by would say). Too much makeup tends to make me look older, so I use just a few products.
* moisturizer with a sunblock
* Jane Iredale pressed powder
* brown eyeliner pencil
* a swipe of eyeshadow over the pencil (keeps it from smearing and wearing off)
* lipstick or Burt's Bees pomegranate lip balm (has a faint rosy color)

It's all a matter of personal taste that will develop and change as you try out new things.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
So much great advice already! The only thing I would add is buy the best quality brushes you can afford, and clean them regularly. They'll hold up longer and apply whatever (I use an angled brush for my eyebrows, and a kabuki for my powder, but not much else) more evenly. Cleaning them regularly prevents nasty germy things from building up, and helps avoid acne if you're prone (I am). You won't need very many brushes just starting out, but good ones really make application much easier.

Tatum

Practically Family
I have to say that I totally agree with Gracie on buying quality brushes. But starting with a $10-20 set from Target or CVS is fine.

A brush cleaning tip: use baby shampoo, it is actually more gentle than brush cleaner and infinitely less expensive. (Straight from a MAC makeup artist.) I even keep a sample size bottle in my train case for traveling. Don't soak brushes, the bristles won't be happy. Reshape them and allow them dry on a towel or handle-down in a jar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot