Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Man barred for showing belly

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
this does make an interesting point! me and a friend were just talking about those (women) who are usually seen walking around with the mid-driffs, do not have the kind of body to where it looks good- love handles hanging out. THere are for sure guys who I see and really do wish they'd put a shirt on also!
hmm...maybe after yesterday, should rethink posting anything about attire?:p

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Ohhhh dear.
Well, as I am pretty much flabbergasted by the nonsense of the whole situation, there are thankfully two smileys which perfectly capture my reaction.

lol :rolleyes:

Clarification: My reaction to the article, not the discussion it has created.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Salv said:
I have no doubt that he does have a medical condition, but part of his own treatment for that condition is to visit the gym twice a day. It therefore follows that burning calories in a gym will affect his weight; if burning calories will affect his weight, then consuming fewer calories in the first place must also affect his weight. I don't need to be his MD to realise that.

His medical problem might not be his weight. Certain medications and thyroid conditions can keep weight on. And maintaining a healthy weight is also a matter of what kind of foods you eat and when you eat them, as well as what kind of exercise you do and how intensely you do it. I'm not an expert, I just know what I've read in the book Body for Life, the program that helped me to become lean and athletic. Alas, I have not been able to eat right or exercise much for the past few months. And I can sympathize with this gentleman trying to wear clothes that will not create a muffin-top by midday.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GOK said:
Either all should be welcome to show a bit of flesh or none should - it ought not to be dependent upon whether they are the body beautiful.

I think GOK and Mysterygal have succinctly put what some of us were trying to say. Is it just men can't have bare midriffs? Is it that a tube top is allowed and a short T-shirt is not? Would a fuller-figured woman with bare midriff be allowed in? Are twenty-somethings allowed more latitude in appearance than, say, forty-somethings and above? Is it based on sex or body type or age or clothing? If the club is allowing the slim, svelte & hot-bodied to dress more revealingly, then they're showing a double-standard and clearly being discriminatory in not allowing all patrons to appear that way.

And let's face it - we know what club management's position is. They'll hide behind "Customers complained and we have to be responsive to our clientelle." Management's going to be more likely to act on complaints about an older guy with his belly hanging out than they are about younger, more revealingly-attired women because the latter draws in more men, young and old, in a sports-bar type of establishment and increases their revenue. They also probably get no complaints about the latter.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
While I think he should cover up, I'd say that it's likely true that they let the young women dress that way. So I'd agree that it's discrimination.

When they say Thongs it's quite unlikely that they mean the underwear. Thongs officially still refers to the flip-flop sandal in Australia.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
This guy needs longer shirts.

The problem is that it is rude to tell someone, especially a stranger to wear a longer shirt.

End of story.

carebear

If it's a private club they should be able to make any sort of criteria for "who gets to wear what" that they want to. If the double standard or inconsistency cuts into membership, they'll change their policy. If it doesn't, folks who are discriminated against are free to be members of any other club they choose that will have them. If none will, they are free to start their own club.

End of problem.

GOK

One Too Many
slicedbread said:
Hum....I don't see what's so hard about getting a longer shirt.

As I see it, that's not the issue. The man in question feels discriminated against, and frankly, I can see why ('m not debating the rights and wrongs of it). The issue seems to be that some people wearing skimpy clothing are allowed to dine there but others are not, due to their lack of aesthetic appearance. Essentially, I think Mr Johannesen feels that he has been told he is too fat and ugly to wear a shirt that rides up over his belly. [huh]

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
This reminds me of a hilarious comic strip that my mom has taped up on her refridgerator door (warning, not all get our sense of humor:eek: )
There's an old couple with towels and picnic baskets in thier hands, walking along the beach...both are shirtless and wearing shorts, the guy says to the wife, 'Ethel! Cover up, you should be ashamed of yourself going out in public like that!)....now, they're both a bit overwieght, but the guy had more, ah, 'bulges'.
anyway, carry on....

carebear said:
If it's a private club they should be able to make any sort of criteria for "who gets to wear what" that they want to. If the double standard or inconsistency cuts into membership, they'll change their policy. If it doesn't, folks who are discriminated against are free to be members of any other club they choose that will have them. If none will, they are free to start their own club.

End of problem.

There you go, as usual, you are bringing common sense to the table. We can't have that. :p ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
In the 60s, restaurants that didn't seat women wearing pants did indeed find that their patrons were going elsewhere. I gather a lot of the patrons never returned, even after the dress code was changed.

dr greg

One Too Many
late show

Just caught up with this. I know the town, if not the club, and quite frankly, any attempt to lift sartorial standards should be applauded,there's a difference between being 'relaxed' in one's attire, and being a slob. Anyone who can't make an effort to dress for dinner should stay at home at their own trough. Based on experience, dining out at a Queensland country town sporting club is something I would only do in extremis , and it would only be made worse by looking at the exposed flab of overweight people of either sex. It might make you more ill than the food.

Tony in Tarzana

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'm down with a "no bare midriffs, no exceptions" rule. The sight of flabby young women hanging out of their pants is something I can live without.

Tony in Tarzana said:
Ah. A picture's worth a thousand words. His shirt isn't too short, his trousers are too low. He needs to look into pants that come up to the natural waistline.

Holy Crimony! You aren't kidding. :p That puts it into perspective for me. :eek:
bluebirds23.jpg

Regards,

J

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Touching and inspirational

carebear said:
It's in Queensland, Australia right?

It's a cricket club, for the Bluebirds United CC.

Here's an article with a pic of the man's belly.

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.a...localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

I find this story both touching and inspirational.

Touching because, on the face of it, we have two people who both appear to be suffering from varying degrees of the same medical condition, who are no doubt drawn to each other for mutual support and care.

Inspirational, because it seems that here we have a man who has a medical condition, who does not hide his symptoms away, but is prepared to show them to a restaurant full of diners.

It is a lesson to us all.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot