Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marsden Matting question... what did it look like new?

p51

One Too Many
I'm wondering what the original color was of sections of Marsden Matting or pierced (or perforated) steel planking (PSP) in WW2.

I'm building a model RR layout that takes place in 1943 and I want to throw some sections of the stuff into the back of a truck. They're etched brass and it got me wondering what color they were when they were new, before they turned to a rust color...
Marsden_matting_Alexai_Point_Attu_Island_Alaska.jpg
A prolonged internet search didn't turn up any photos online showing new sections in photos taken in WW2.

Renault

One Too Many
Dang. Wished I'd paid more attention to it. When I was younger you used to see them all around at assorted ranches with sections used to built gathering pens! I don't remember when it was the last time I saw any on a pen. Suppose they all rusted up by now.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Oh, and don't forget to tell people it was named after the town in North Carolina, not some fictional man!

p51

One Too Many
I model in On30 gauge: http://www.freewebs.com/willysmb44/modeltrains.htm
No scenery yet, but that'll be started soon.
I got a pre-made section of matting made for airplane dioramas, but I wanted to show some sheets out by themsevles. This will also include a 1/48 scale Nissen hut, which will represent a US Army RR operating unit.
Brand new, they were a dull silver, kind of galvanized, even though they were not.
_1-psp-mats-005_zpsm2eaaba2.jpg
psp-mats-008_zpsqowaw86g.jpg
That's actually re-finished WW2 stuff being sold by a company today. Period photos seem to support a color other than galvanized, but you just can't tell.
I'm hoping to find a reference actually from WW2, not what they looked like after the war.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It has to be a grey silver, all the photos point to that! Notice the damaged peaces, little or no rust, they had a protective coating. Not sure if it was paint or a type of galvanizing? There was another kind of matting used, with rods, it rusted on the ships.
1013840_zpszqrrrxub.jpg
dobodura-no4-psp-bomb-repair_zpsxbmdzqhn.jpg
Kualoa_Airfield-1940s_zpsnluafhhc.jpg
50b7b945b117f_zpsrslqhlsy.jpg
Vought-F4U-1A-Corsair-VMF-214-Black-Sheep-prepares-for-take-off-Vella-Lavella-1943-01_zpsool7txeb.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Maybe these two films will help. They show the mat as it arrived at the construction sight. One is prewar, the other is 1943. [video=youtube;c_heqdlC7B4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_heqdlC7B4[/video]

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Notice the steal bands holding the mats together like the photos above! [video=youtube;X5gZMY4r5qs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5gZMY4r5qs[/video]

Otter

One Too Many
P51, nice, I am just starting a little whimsical project in on30. I am running a little mining line round my halo at picture rail height. I intend to put in a little pithead and ore crushing plant that looks as if it comes out of the walls and a small line of ore trucks pulled by my little Bachmann Porter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner