Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mash A-10 gloves

Cocker

Practically Family
Finally picked up my A-10 gloves at the post office yesterday. They are made by Mash Co. LTD in Japan. Others have pointed that Mash is doing the gloves for Eastman, and they are just relabelling them.

My very first contact with them was quite disappointing as the nice post office lady advised me there will be a 42EUR customs fee on my 110EUR package...

Anyway, I took it home, opened it, and faced one of the most beautiful packaging I've seen so far. I really appreciate that MASH is going the extra mile with this:

I can honestly say I was really not disappointed with the quality of the gloves. The leather is a smooth, russet brown goat skin. The seams and stitching are neat, and the elastic wrist band is a dull purple/brown heavy one.

The USAAF decal is great, no background brightness or whatsoever.

And here is the lining. Mash advises it as "100% Virgin Wool Knitting texture". As far as I can see, the label is almost an exact repro of an original one, except for the name of the manufacturer, of course!

It was time for the final test! At first, the gloves felt pretty tight, which led me to think they may be too small for me. I quickly shed out this idea, as a couple of my fingers were not going exactly to the end of the glove's fingers. I then flexed my hand a couple times, opened and closed it, and I could feel the leather relaxing almost immediately. After a few minutes, the gloves were fitting like, well, a glove.

Well, all I need now is for the temperature to drop a bit to wear them on a daily basis!

GregGale

One of the Regulars
Beautiful gloves, congratulations! Thanks for the pictures too. I'm jealous a bit, I've been secretly wanting a pair since I tried them at the popup store in November, but I still can't swallow that price tag. They are really comfy and warm, though.

HPA Rep

Vendor
I have two pairs from back in the day when we carried these gloves and they are superb; one pair is from 1993 and the other from 1999. The goatskin just keeps going, as good leather should, and the patina after a winter or two would pass as original. I cannot say enough good about these.

I believe they are made by the same factory that makes the Buzz Rickson's A-10's we now carry. We ceased carrying the MASH gloves only because we could get better pricing from BR and the quality and detailing was equal, plus BR offered three colors. You are fully correct that the ELC gloves are just labeled for them, but they are indeed MASH gloves. We purchased the MASH-labeled gloves after about 1997 directly from MASH. One nice thing I like on the MASH gloves is that they are available without the decal on request, so you could get a pair that is properly plain, as would be the case for the vast majority of A-10's made before the late fall of 1944.

38% does seem correct for the importation to the EU; they are paying VAT, duty, and a processing fee. People do not realize just how costly it can be to import goods. The USA has no VAT, but duty, processing fees, brokerage fees, and the currency-conversion fees all factor into the prices.

You'll have these gloves for the rest of your life, but I'd expect the knit parts to need replacing or mending, and the lining is likely to go bald in spots after about 20 years of enjoyment. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Cocker

Practically Family
That's a lot of good information, Charles, thank you.

As for the customs taxes... Welcome to Belgium! I've never seen any other European country having so much customs fees. Oh well, anyway, I consider these an investment an hope to keep them for a long, long time indeed! I think it's worth the price and the taxes, on the long run.

Now, where is the snow when you need it?!

Reactions: Alz

HPA Rep

Vendor
That's a lot of good information, Charles, thank you.

As for the customs taxes... Welcome to Belgium! I've never seen any other European country having so much customs fees. Oh well, anyway, I consider these an investment an hope to keep them for a long, long time indeed! I think it's worth the price and the taxes, on the long run.

Now, where is the snow when you need it?!

You are most welcome, Cocker.

I think Sweden may have you beat on taxation, but you may know best.

I'll try to post pics of my MASH gloves from '90's so all can see the sort of patina and wear after all these years.

Stand By

One Too Many
Great review! Thanks!
And I've had my pair (via ELC) from around 2004/5 and the patina that they have gained is sublime. There's a very subtle variation in tones that is quite mesmerizing when you get in close to scrutinize them. They're fantastic.
And yes, they're not cheap, but they are all quality and consider the amount of daily wear they will get over the many, many years and it's a great return, no matter how you slice it.
I do note that the body of your gloves is cut a bit shorter to the wrist compared to the Buzz Rickson A-10s - I just got a pair of those from Charles and noted that the body was cut notably longer than the previous two pairs I have from him/BR, and certainly the MASH Co. pair. And I must admit, I like the longer cut as they cover the wrist entirely with the (rust) knits and that's great for sealing out the cold - but I do still love my old ELC A-10s too!
Enjoy the heck out of them and don't lose them! (or one. Just as bad!).

Cocker

Practically Family
Enjoy the heck out of them and don't lose them! (or one. Just as bad!).

Sounds like a case of "been there, done that" if I ever heard one!

@Alz Indeed I guess it depends on the country. These customs checks are random, I almost never got them. Except with items coming from Japan... I totally forgot about it seen it's been year since I ordered there. Let's say this was a helluva reminder.

Technonut

Practically Family
Very nice.... :) I've had a pair on my 'wish-list' for quite awhile, and will eventually have them. ;)

I've been fortunate for many years now by never having to pay import / Customs $$ on anything I've ordered overseas coming into the USA....

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Finally picked up my A-10 gloves at the post office yesterday. They are made by Mash Co. LTD in Japan. Others have pointed that Mash is doing the gloves for Eastman, and they are just relabelling them.

My very first contact with them was quite disappointing as the nice post office lady advised me there will be a 42EUR customs fee on my 110EUR package...

Anyway, I took it home, opened it, and faced one of the most beautiful packaging I've seen so far. I really appreciate that MASH is going the extra mile with this:

I can honestly say I was really not disappointed with the quality of the gloves. The leather is a smooth, russet brown goat skin. The seams and stitching are neat, and the elastic wrist band is a dull purple/brown heavy one.

The USAAF decal is great, no background brightness or whatsoever.

And here is the lining. Mash advises it as "100% Virgin Wool Knitting texture". As far as I can see, the label is almost an exact repro of an original one, except for the name of the manufacturer, of course!

It was time for the final test! At first, the gloves felt pretty tight, which led me to think they may be too small for me. I quickly shed out this idea, as a couple of my fingers were not going exactly to the end of the glove's fingers. I then flexed my hand a couple times, opened and closed it, and I could feel the leather relaxing almost immediately. After a few minutes, the gloves were fitting like, well, a glove.

Well, all I need now is for the temperature to drop a bit to wear them on a daily basis!

Got a pair..love em :)

dubpynchon

One Too Many
I got a pair of the Aero A-10 gloves just before they stopped selling them, great gloves the quality must have dipped just after I got mine.

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
Those look and sound like they're great. Hope you get some weather to suit them.
I just bought a pair of Aero RAF 1933 pattern straight zip gauntlets to go with my pre-war ELC Irvin, but they are not warm. Pilots of the day wore silk liners, but I haven't found anything suitable along that line.
I considered the A-10's, and am vaguely questioning my choice of the gauntlets.
I'll be curious to see how those gloves work out for you, Worf. I have XXL hands, too. The Aero's I bought are short in the palm.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Those look and sound like they're great. Hope you get some weather to suit them.
I just bought a pair of Aero RAF 1933 pattern straight zip gauntlets to go with my pre-war ELC Irvin, but they are not warm. Pilots of the day wore silk liners, but I haven't found anything suitable along that line.
I considered the A-10's, and am vaguely questioning my choice of the gauntlets.
I'll be curious to see how those gloves work out for you, Worf. I have XXL hands, too. The Aero's I bought are short in the palm.

When I get em you'll be the second person to know and I'll post here with fit pics.

Worf

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Still have to make a hat still for you Bn1966...I got pretty side tracked with life...well the good news is that I managed to order the correct Sewing machine parts and they did the Trick we're back in the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy