Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

measuring grosgrain

Zane

Suspended
I was a reading a post by Fedora or some one about getting 1 5/8 inch grosgrain. I think it was on here not sure. I know it is supposed to be measured in Lignes but I always just measureed it in inches. I am not sure if you gave it a real accurate measure if it will come out exact in inches or not.

I been studing on this Ligne measuring system and it seems to be French and Swiss.

Does anyone else know any thing about the Ligne system?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Linge to me

Bounce this one on ART or call OPTIMO. THey list the LINGES measurement (ie. 18 linge)....it is a measurement which I don't understand.

ART?!????!????!??!

Ah, something I actually know from my experience with classic watches. The ligne (pronounced line) is a swiss precision measure that swiss watchmakers use today (and from their beginning actually) to measure the size of their watch movements (rolex and such). That does not mean the ligne is a "new" measurement or one specifically realated to watches. The "ligne" is a measurement dating back to the middle ages and was initially one twefth of an English Inch; however over time this calculation has changed. Nowadays a "ligne" measurement is inches divided by .0888, or cm divided by 2.2558. In other words there are just over 4 lignes to the cm and just over 11 lignes to the inch or 11 1/4 lignes to be exact. :D It is also used to measure buttons at their largest diameter.
If you want to use lignes for hat ribbons or have to use lignes, my suggestion would be to get a ligne gauge that watchmakers use to measure movements. It is like a plastic ruler and can be bought easily at any watch supply company for a couple of bucks. It is either that or get out the calculator and use the formula above. :D I prefer the gauge because it will give you a better, more exact measure.
I am sure I left something out that Art can backfill somewhere in my explanation. :cool2: I am an amateur watch repair dude. :D

Regards to all,

J

Re: Linge to me

Originally posted by Andykev
Bounce this one on ART or call OPTIMO. THey list the LINGES measurement (ie. 18 linge)....it is a measurement which I don't understand.

ART?!????!????!??!

I am sorry. :eek: I forgot to mention that 18 lignes would be a little over an inch and a half.
I think a fedora with a wide brim would benefit from a ribbon about 20 lignes or nearly two inches. That is just my preference though and I like Stetson's so that might just discount my foolish opinion. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
James,
You just did a much better job of explaining Lignes than I could have. Bravo!! Nothing to add from this corner.
BTW..didn't know you were a watch repair guy. Want to work on some old stuff??

I knew I was going to get asked to do watch repair as soon as I let that post go. :D ;)
There are certainly very few people who can do it right but I am probably not one of them. :( All I do is the simple stuff for my collection. I can replace a hand or a mainspring at the furthest end of the spectrum but I am not really a watch repair dude. I wish I was. I would have liked to do it in the past but since the onset of a very, very mild case of glaucoma, focusing for long periods on small objects takes its toll on my eyes. I will however diagnose a problem and might be able to point you in the right direction for a real watchmaker. I am like a doctor who can't operate, I guess. LOL
I wish I could help because so may here have helped me understand quite a few things. A word of advice with watches is that if it is not running then there are three most likely causes. One it needs a cleaning and the train (meshed gears inside) is too gumed up to work. Two the balance staff (the pivot that the wheel that goes back and forth on :D ) has broken and will need to be replaced. Three the mainspring has broken and will need to be replaced. I hope that much helps. I am getting a bit off topic here though.

Regards to all,

J

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'm familiar with the term from the world of garment trimmings and haberdashery- buttons to be precise. It goes back a long way, when the Germans were big in buttons making and then probably a ways back through Europe before that.

Isn't the pronunciation of "ligne" as "line" an American thing?
I realise it's French for "line" but didn't realise it was supposed to be pronounced "line" in English.

B
T

BellyTank said:
I'm familiar with the term from the world of garment trimmings and haberdashery- buttons to be precise. It goes back a long way, when the Germans were big in buttons making and then probably a ways back through Europe before that.

Isn't the pronunciation of "ligne" as "line" an American thing?
I realise it's French for "line" but didn't realise it was supposed to be pronounced "line" in English.

B
T

Its pronounced line over here but you can pronounce it however you want. :D Ok curiousity gets to me---how do you pronounce it there? ;)

Regards,

J

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Its pronounced line over here but you can pronounce it however you want. :D Ok curiousity gets to me---how do you pronounce it there? ;)

Regards,

J

Well- it's not over here James- I don't live in France, although I do eat cheese but I am however, not a monkey...

But seriously folks, in all my years in the clothing trade, I've only ever heard it pronounced as (like)"lean", like French. But this was when I was in New Zealand and England, not Europe.

B
T

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Or maybe it just comes from the time when French was an international language of commerce, the arts, diplomacy ...

French is still the language of horology........................... and Love;)

BellyTank said:
Well- it's not over here James- I don't live in France, although I do eat cheese but I am however, not a monkey...

What are your thoughts on surrendering? :p

BellyTank said:
But seriously folks, in all my years in the clothing trade, I've only ever heard it pronounced as (like)"lean", like French. But this was when I was in New Zealand and England, not Europe.

B
T

I suppose lean would be like our line over here. lol

Regards,

J

squid

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
I knew I was going to get asked to do watch repair as soon as I let that post go. :D ;)

I don't have a watch to fix, but I do have stupid watch questions.

squid

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Go ahead and ask. Maybe someone or I could answer it. Not likely fix it but answer it. ;)

Regards,

J
I picked up a pocket watch in Bulgaria a few years ago at an antique market, and I want to know if it's real or a fake. It seems to have a decent action, and the guts don't look cheap. On the other hand I was warned by the locals I was with it might be fake, and the face is laminated paper (I didn't discover this for some time.) Could you look at pictures and give me an answer with any degree of certainty, or point me towards someone who could?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany