Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Merrimac Hats

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
I'm curious to know the rarity of Merrimac's men's line of hats. Now, I say rarity because for the past year and change I've been searching relentlessly for another, but to my dismay all I ever find is women's hats. Like the one I own, I stumbled across one other, but it was in a western style which just isn't my cup of tea. I'm figuring that their bread and butter were women's hats as they're in great abundance. Am I correct to assume that their men's hats are indeed rare? I think I am and that's why I've been fussing over the one I have now and probably spent a little bit more coin than necessary to get it as close to it's glory days as possible. Truth be told, I'm freegin' obsessed at reaching that very goal.

Merrimachatfactory.jpg

I happen to live just a couple of towns over from the Merrimac Hat factory in Amesbury, MA(hatter's point) which is currently being converted into condos and have yet to trot over to the little museum there to ask questions of the curator. I've also checked out the many antique stores in the area to find one, but again, women's hats only. I've even headed north to New Hampshire and hit many of their antique stores just over the border and still nothing. I guess after seeing the bang up job "Mike the Hatter's" done to my favorite hat, I'm even more adamant about getting it squared away, which is why I'm going to shell out even more dough when I send it to Optimo in the next few weeks. Mind you it's not the greatest hat, but it's grown on me quite well. In the last year I've worn it practically every day and don't understand why it hasn't fused to my head yet. So, are they rare and who else in the lounge owns one? I'd love to see whatever examples are out there.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Replying to my own reply

OK... I remember finding a few Merrimac hats in my stash, but I've been searching my photos, and I can't find any records of them, [huh] so I think I may have sold them as part of the group of lower quality hats that were in moderate to poor condition when I found them.

I'll double check to make sure I don't have any Merrimacs hiding out there for you!

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
Well, I just got off the horn with a Mrs. Kelly who's the curator of the Amesbury Hat Museum in order to make an appointment(private viewing only) to view the Merrimac hats that are on display. When asked, she said that the Men's Merrimacs are indeed a rarity and that she hasn't been able to find one herself for the past 2-3 years as she's a collector of that line. I mentioned that I had secured one and I could tell that she just lit up. So I was right! I'll be heading over there on wednesday and hopefully she'll permit me to take photos so I can post them here as well as pick her brain about the factories history. I'm real excited about going and am now even more adamant about getting my Merrimac lid as close to perfection as possible. This excursion should be fun!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Very nice. Please take pictures, if permitted, and be sure to show and tell what happens. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy