Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Metal color and skin tone

Lillemor

One Too Many
I just don't understand the skin tone and metal color advice anymore because I used to be considered a "cold" winter in the Carole Jackson heydays of the 80s but now I'm suddenly a "warm" winter or just a "warm" with no season.[huh]

With vintage costume jewelry I'll take any metal tone as long as the piece is nice and wear it over long sleeves or with a high neckline if I'm uncertain of whether the metal suits me or not.

Do I suit cold or warm metal tones?

Pay no attention to spotty complexion, wind attacked hair or the weird thing going on with my brows and glasses.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
From holding up gold and silver jewelry next to your picture, I think the gold suits you better. The early color books seemed to lump all women of color into "winter."

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
From holding up gold and silver jewelry next to your picture, I think the gold suits you better. The early color books seemed to lump all women of color into "winter."

I was going to say gold too....although less scientific a method.

and I am now sitting here giggling at the mental picture of paisley holding up jewelry to the monitor. ;)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I think it really comes down to preference rather than what looks best. A lot of estheticians have completely thrown out that summer/winter/cold/warm BS.

I pretty much only wear silver - not because it looks best, but because it's my personal preference. I say wear what you like and screw the "rules"!

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
I'm going to throw something confusing in the loop, but hopefully it will help you! There apparently is now a "neutral" classification the allows certain people to wear any colored metal, as well as most makeup/clothing colors.

Are you veins blue, green or neither? If they are a strong blue-green (like mine are) then you are a neutral. This is common in women who have naturally dark brown/black hair and brown eyes and most skin tones (for whatever reason). I wear both gold and white gold jewelry and they both look fine on me. I just match it to whatever I happen to be wearing clothing wise at the time. You can probably get away with either as well, it's probably more of a preference on your end.

Think of it this way, your hair is dark and so are you eyes so they can't possibly "clash" with anything. Your skin is a lovely color and gold will blend wonderfully, but silver will contrast beautifully and be highlighted against your skin. So there you go ;)

Smuterella

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I think it really comes down to preference rather than what looks best. A lot of estheticians have completely thrown out that summer/winter/cold/warm BS.

I pretty much only wear silver - not because it looks best, but because it's my personal preference. I say wear what you like and screw the "rules"!

^ that

Lillemor

One Too Many
Thanks all.

"Screw the rules"! Sounds good to me too.

Veins?! I think they look deep turquoise:eusa_doh: lol

I had to laugh at that screen image too.

I've nearly always worn silver because that's what Carole Jackson told "me" to do. Then recently I thought that hey; my yellow gold wedding band doesn't look that bad so I began to wear more gold.

You're right, silver contrasts nicely in one way while gold just draws attention to my skin in a warm sort of way.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I once had a coworker hold a ruler up to her monitor to measure a margin on a document. :eusa_doh: Unfortunately, it was on real work that had to get done.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
RebeccaMUA said:
I'm going to throw something confusing in the loop, but hopefully it will help you! There apparently is now a "neutral" classification the allows certain people to wear any colored metal, as well as most makeup/clothing colors.

Are you veins blue, green or neither? If they are a strong blue-green (like mine are) then you are a neutral. This is common in women who have naturally dark brown/black hair and brown eyes and most skin tones (for whatever reason). I wear both gold and white gold jewelry and they both look fine on me. I just match it to whatever I happen to be wearing clothing wise at the time. You can probably get away with either as well, it's probably more of a preference on your end.

Think of it this way, your hair is dark and so are you eyes so they can't possibly "clash" with anything. Your skin is a lovely color and gold will blend wonderfully, but silver will contrast beautifully and be highlighted against your skin. So there you go ;)

Thankyou for this thread as I have been struggling too!!

To the original poster - I'd say gold, but I also like the "screw it and wear what you want!"

When I had my make up done years ago for my sisters wedding, the artist took one look at me and said "Oh yes, a summer girl". Being fair with pink undertones - I had no real concept of what this meant!!!

Luckily I can get away with both gold and silver - often depending on the make up I have on at the time.

With make up I havent been so fortunate. One Clinique rep said I needed a neutral. Another said I need cool, and another said I need warming up!!

I really want to invest in a good MAC foundation and concealer, and luckily all their foundations are neutral cool or neutral warm - but im still lost!!

As for my forearm - my skin is fair with pink undertones, and my veins would be a blue - but when I think of green, sometimes I wonder are they green blue!

[huh] [huh] [huh] [huh] :rage:

(sorry for thread hijack and the rant!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff