Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SADDLEBACK BRIEFCASE: LARGE SIZE ORIGINAL MODEL: CHESTNUT COLOR: GREAT COLOR!!

Big Steve

A-List Customer
SADDLEBACK BRIEFCASE: LARGE SIZE ORIGINAL MODEL: CHESTNUT COLOR: GREAT COLOR AND CHARACTER!!

450 - shipped CONUS

For consideration is one of the earlier versions of the now iconic and well known classic Saddleback Leather Briefcase. This case was purchased NEW from Saddleback in 2009 and has certainly seen its share of adventures. As you can see from the pictures this has developed a unique time worn in appearance yet is by no means ready to be retired. Its made of their Chestnut colored leather with pig skin lining used on the inside for greater durability and longevity. I used this for my job for several years holding my computer, papers and other odds and ends. However my career has since changed and I don't find myself using this and its time for it to go to a new home. If you want a bag full of character with a lifetime of usage ahead than give this one some thought.
Further Detail pulled from Saddleback Website:

Over-Engineering

This full grain leather laptop bag is over-engineered in that it has no breakable parts like magnets, zippers, buttons or snaps and is reinforced with rivets and hidden polyester strapping wherever there is stress. It’s designed with the fewest and biggest pieces of leather that made sense. The reason was to have fewer seams. And those seams only have 5 stitches per inch so that there is more leather between each hole. Holes are really just the beginning of a tear in any leather briefcase.

Materials

Our cow leather is the toughest we can find because it's full grain. The grain of leather is like the shingles on a roof. If you take off the top part of the leather (grain) to get rid of the scars then that's like taking the shingles off of the roof. No good. And then we line the leather with pigskin, which is stronger than the cow leather. Our custom hardware is 316 Stainless Steel. If you are a metallurgist then I'm sure you just gasped. It’s the metal you want to be used when your life depends on it. And if all of that isn't enough, our thread is unbelievably strong and UV resistant industrial marine grade polyester thread. It doesn't deteriorate when the sun hits it. Honestly, there is no other laptop bag like this.

Functionality

Our leather briefcase converts into a laptop backpack with the shoulder strap. The side straps can be removed for use as an emergency size 36 belt, tie down or tourniquet (hopefully you won't need that). But on the bag, they are great for holding wet umbrellas and blueprint tubes to the top of the flap. There is a hidden flap on the bottom for hiding passports, extra cash and other secret things. The d-rings are designed to strap on blankets, dirty boots and fly rod tubes. And just a small detail, but the main strap has a hole all the way at the tip for closing when your laptop bag is really overstuffed.

Product Details

• 100-Year Warranty
  • Free Shipping
  • Dimensions Large: 16" W x 12" H x 9" D
  • Dimensions Medium: 14" W x 11"1/4 H x 9" D (Available in the Showroom for Purchase)
  • Shoulder strap adjusts long from 34" - 59”
  • Large holds all 17” laptops
  • 7 lbs is the weight of quality
Please review the pictures for additional detail, and thanks for looking.
20200101_144659_resized.jpg
20200101_144723_resized.jpg
20200101_144804_resized.jpg
20200101_144824_resized.jpg
20200101_145027_resized.jpg
20200101_145308_resized.jpg
20200101_145317_resized.jpg
20200101_145324_resized.jpg
20200101_145331_resized.jpg
20200101_145805_resized.jpg

dan_t

Practically Family
Fantastic bag!
For some reason, these bags don’t seem to get much love here. Not sure why (I own a bunch of them). If you don’t get any joy here, I’d recommend searching Facebook for the following group; Saddleback & Other Leather Buy/Sell/Trade
This bag will be appreciated there & should definitely sell for what you’re asking (if not more - it’s quite unique)

good luck!

Big Steve

A-List Customer
Thanks for the comments and recommendations to the FB group. I think SB gets a bit of snub because it would seem they've gotten away from their original ethos and are pricing themselves out of reach for many. I guess many view it as a cash grab by Dave and company....that and the quality of the newer produced ones doesn't seem to be that of the original. I can't attest to the new ones quality as I don't own one. Personally, only reason for selling is that I don't use it, and tastes have changed.

trapp

Practically Family
I owned one of these early originals for a while, but in coffee color, and can attest to their ruggedness and beauty. It aged like a dream. They get a lot of attention in the wild, even by those who have no idea what it is. It was a hard bag to part with but in the end it was too heavy, when loaded, and wasn't doing my alignment any favors. Great bag though for someone young or strapping with a healthy back.

Big Steve

A-List Customer
The bag is still available. I would consider offers and trade considerations (Filson luggage). Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21