Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Metrosexuals Vs. Just Dressing Nice

As sharp dressers, are any guys here concerned about being labelled "Metrosexual"?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Couldn't care less either way

• Total voters

MKL

A-List Customer
Ok, I realize this may sound dumb but I don't watch any modern shows on TV, just what is Queer Eye or whatever it is called, and I am not sure just what the meaning of Metrosexual is even after reading through the posts.

Thanks.

MKL

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Old_Hat said:
I agree with Tom Wolfe that dandyism is "a mild form of agression". By deliberately distancing oneself from the people that one is with, one is implicitly stating that they do not want to be wholly associated with them. Remember that the purpose of etiquette (manners) is to put others at ease, not to establish moral superiority. One does not deliberately overdress in order to make others more comfortable, if one does so, it is to make a statement.

Nothing wrong with that, it's a free choice, and one I would fight to preserve... but if you do choose to exercise Wolfe's "mild form of agression", I'm not sure you can realistically complain if you get a little of it back from time to time. You are, after all, not only "making a statement", but you're making it rather loudly.

You - and Tom Wolfe - are abosolutely right. I dress well becasue I don't wish to be associated with my generation, which has a reputation for dressing like thugs and whores.

I also am a bit agressive...I remember walking down a street in San Francisco one night with a group of similarly-dressed friends, and dropped my deco mint tin on the sidewalk while attempting to put it back into my pocket. A quick stylish swoop without a break in stride had it back in my pocket within less than two seconds. This was next to a patio connected to a noisy bar, and one of the patrons raised his voice - a guy about my age, in a modern leather jacket, sneakers, t-shirt and baggy jeans - "Yeah, you shouldn't be dressing all classy in a suit if you're going to be dropping stuff all over the place." I whipped around, made eye contact, looked him up and down, and simply said, "I'd like to see you pull this off!" and went my merry way.

The whole quote from Tom Wolfe really does not make sense to me considering who it is coming from. Are you sure it is from him directly or through one of his characters in his books? Tom Wolfe's trademark is his white suit, tie and matching handkerchief! He must be aggressive all the time because he is never seen without them on! :p Imagine him while he was researching his book on surfers sitting on the beach in his white suit or running around with Kessey and the Merrymen dressed like that! :rolleyes: That quote must be taken out of context. The only thing I can think of is that as he says he doesn't have to be like those he writes about he just has to "find them interesting." I suppose he wanted to make himself appear pretty separated and making a very lound statement. ;)
I dress well when I want to make a statement and that is just the way it is. People sort of expect that from me in certain settings---ok, most settings. :)

Regards to all,

J

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Tom Wolfe

I believe Tom Wolfe hadn't yet affected his white suit when he was following the Merry Pranksters. I do believe he dresses the dandy as a statement. Of course, he has been dressing that way for a while. I think it would hard for him to revert to "plain clothes". Like Thomas Wolfe said "You can't go home again".

As always, your devoted servent,
The Wolf

Old_Hat said:
Remember that Tom Wolfe was a leading exponent of the "man from Mars" school of journalism, that school of thought that the journalist should be completely separate and removed from the events he's reporting, present but in no way taking part... sort of the exact opposite of the "gonzo" or immersion school of thought advocated by contemporary Hunter Thompson.

Since his technique is a form of deliberate alienation, I'm sure the ice cream suit helps.

Now that quote makes sense. In context he is saying that it is harmless and not making a judgement about those who wear it even though it is clear that there will be people who look at you strangely. I sort of expected that.
I think you have actually hit it on the head there. Wolfe has mentioned that he has gone from nonfiction to fiction because reality is far stranger and fiction would never think of such stories as that of Paris Hilton and the like. :p
He is also quite correct about being detached from what you report on. Remember our perfect example of Dan Rather? :p

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy