Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mexican Panamas from the Yucatan

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
I'm heading to Merida in a few months and that's near where they make the Mexican version of the Panama hat. Does anyone know how good these are? I know they are hand made and made from palm leaves, but I can't imagine they are anywhere near as fine as Ecuador Panama hats...KC

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Sunbody hats have some made from Mexican palm and in fedora styles. I can't attest to their quality but I did get a gus hat from Major Moore recently that is palm and made in Mexico that I like.:D

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I've tried like crazy to order Merida hats, but nobody follows through. I hear they can be pretty nice, but I've only seen photos. Nice, like the thicker woven Cuenca hats, but again, that is only through stories.

RBH

Bartender
I have a SunBody western hat that I got 4 years ago. Great hat, wet it down and it will take any shape and keep it. Its tough and will take all kinds of ABUSE!
But it is not the same as one of Roberts Cuenca hats, in that I mean Roberts hats are fine woven straw, the palm hats I have had are great tough straws.
Hope this helped...

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Panamabob said:
These Merida are fine woven hats. They aren't the hard palm leaf helmet hats! I've got a few customers who have them.

That's what I thought. I saw a program on TV which talked about these hats and, although not the quality of Montecristis, they are not all that bad...KC

RBH

Bartender
Panamabob said:
These Merida are fine woven hats. They aren't the hard palm leaf helmet hats! I've got a few customers who have them.
SWEET!!!!
I hope we can get some photos. The palm straw really seems to be a hardy type straw. If the weave can come close to your Cuenca hats Robert... WE MAY HAVE THE ULTIMATE STRAW HAT!!!!:eusa_clap

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I should be clear...a couple of guys have told me that the finest Merida hats are on par with the lower Cuencas. Not a magic hat, by any means. They are woven from the same plant, just not grown in the same soil as on the coast of Ecuador. In fact, you can find the same plant woven into hats from Peru on up to Mexico. Peru has some really nice hats. I'm going to get some for next summer.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Central American Hats

This what you mean but made in Guatemala... I had one years ago in Mexico and later I bought one through Oxfam in Sydney which I gave to a mate. Much heavier and artesanal than Panamas but more robust.

stringbreaker

New in Town
Becal Mexico "Panamas"

Hi all I'm a new member and its really mind boggling to try searching for this topic so if its been covered please excuse my newbieness. I watched a program a while back about the Jipijapa hats made in the caves in Becal Mexico and I would like to purchase one. Is there anyone here that can give me some info? I've searched the net and all I see is the same video I saw on TV. I found one place that sells them but they have no sizes listed and since I'm a bit leery buying out of the country I thought I would start with you folks who might know. Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy