Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Middle Eastern Headgear

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
OK, I do not want to go into the wherefor's and whatever's, but a Fraternity Brother of mine, sent me this Burnoose. It comes with instructions and all, but I can't fig'er it out.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent the guy a whole box of Excalibur #1's to smoke on missions, bought a box of #2's for Moi, but he got the choice lot.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Brother - do you have a photograph for us? I lived in North Africa for a while and the berbers wore what I knew as a burnoose, but it was simply a hooded cape / cloak.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I haven't had much luck finding anything about the Berber or Tuareg methods of tying the turban. The closest I have found is the article below.

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Other_Articles_V_Turban.pdf

The sikh methods of tying a turban are quite different. I don't know if it is still available, but there was also a cap (describes as a soft fez) on ebay that might have been worn under a turban. I considered it as a smoking cap, but I am determined to find an ornately embroidered velvet smoking cap for our new smoking room.

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Hmm, could you post a picture of what you mean? Because all I know of a burnoose is that it is a hooded cloak, and I'd be surprised if he sent you a pointy hood, and no cloak...

There are many different and cool ways to wrap a turban, if that is what you are referring to. I love the turban wrapped around the fez look myself.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Getting to be a bit :eek:fftopic:

I have always been interested in Eastern textiles and costume. I have to say that some of the old persian, turkish and japanese (among others) loosley fitted layers of fine fabrics seen on their ruling classes look extremely comfortable and decadent. Some of the heavier ceremonial outer garmetns might be a bit much, but certainly are interesting.

vonwotan

Practically Family
An altogether different story that. Saudi headwear is quite different, and much simpler. Traditional Saudi headwear includes the ghutra, a large diagonally folded cotton square worn over a kufiyyah (skull cap) and held in place by an igaal, a double-coiled cord circlet. I believe the igaal goes around twice, and thought that they came with a fastener. If you like I can ask one of my clients if they have anything describing the proper way to fit and wear the scarf and cord.

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
vonwotan said:
An altogether different story that. Saudi headwear is quite different, and much simpler. Traditional Saudi headwear includes the ghutra, a large diagonally folded cotton square worn over a kufiyyah (skull cap) and held in place by an igaal, a double-coiled cord circlet. I believe the igaal goes around twice, and thought that they came with a fastener. If you like I can ask one of my clients if they have anything describing the proper way to fit and wear the scarf and cord.

Thank you!:)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Middle East Gear

Years ago it was compulsory to go down to the Bahrein souk and buy the whole gear eg the "fanbelt" as we called it, the headscarf (you see Arafat always wore) - which is either black or red and then the dish dash - long dhoti style robe and sandals of the slide type - mighty cool in summer as nothing clings at parties when dancing.

Of course with the compulsory Rayban Wayfarers you always looked so authentic with lots of positive remarks. There were also attempts by various women to find out what was under the (dish) dash!

Meeemries ....like the cornice of my minddd.....

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I like the Turbanesque headgear like "Almasy" wears in "The English Patient".

It suits my Saharian clothing style.

e_patient.jpg

I'd like to know how to tie this variety.
I can tie a Sikh Pugaree- I wore one at my (Wife is Sikh) Wedding.

B
T

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Hang on, I think we're at cross purposes here... some definitions may help, if I may be so bold.

Burnoose - loose robe with hood worn by the Berber tribes of Morroco (North Eastern Sahara).
Bernos - similar garment worn by Ethiopian highlanders without hood but with protruberence on shoulder to cover the long rifles they carry.
Cheche - long scarf (as in BT's picture) worn by Tuareg tribes of the Northern Sahara. (worn as follows: the end is placed on one shoulder, the rest is looped vertically over the top of the head then is wound horizontally around head before being tucked in).
Keffiya - as worn in the Gulf region (the 'Yasser Arafat' scarf). These are usually worn with a agal ('fan belt') around the crown of the head but are sometimes wrapped like a cheche. The designs are very regional. Some of my bedu friends get quite annoyed when they see Westerners or other Arabs wearing 'their' design, which they consider they have no right to. A bit like veterans reacting to re-enactors wearing medals, I guess. Neither should they be called a shemagh, by the way.

Sorry for the pedantry...

Alan

vonwotan

Practically Family
Alan,
Thank you. There can certainly be some confusion. Even within the Gulf the traditional headdress will differ not only by name (Arabic as a language differs considerably by region) but the style and manner of fitting and wearing the ghutra and igaal (for our purposes lets use the Saudi terms). OldSkoolFrat provided some photographs in the Saudi / Gulf style.

One note about the Burnoose. Berbers throughought the Maghreb (Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco) wear this traditional hooded cloak, and many wear a turban or cheche as you mention below.

This diversity of cultures, and a childhood filled with stories of Aramco, the Gulf, Namibia and other African oil producing nations has fueled a strong interest in these regions of the world. After living in North Africa, studying Arabic and, at the time, Constitutional reform in Algeria, that inetest is stronger than ever.

Mine (Arafat style ghutra) was recently stolen from a bar in town. Must get another one.

There's nothing better, i've found, for keeping out the cold winds we get in the midwest blowing down from Canada. Worn just like a scarf or wrapped properly around the head for more protection and to remove the need for a separate hat.

And it helps me look like a euro student.

bk

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Mine (Arafat style ghutra) was recently stolen from a bar in town. Must get another one.

There's nothing better, i've found, for keeping out the cold winds we get in the midwest blowing down from Canada. Worn just like a scarf or wrapped properly around the head for more protection and to remove the need for a separate hat.

And it helps me look like a euro student.

bk

Between the beard and the headgear, I'd think you'd get some pretty suspicious looks in the American Midwest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari