Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
No you may not, unless I happen to write something to that effect.:p

You may, however, consider my trade offer, if you have what I'm looking for.

It was shoulder epaulettes you mentioned - sorry. I can't do a trade-in because my sweaters would be too big for you!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I Saw a chap the other day wearing a black old type military sweater with draw strings around the neck.

I like the black woolly pully and was wearing it last week. The chap you saw was probably ex-Royal Tank Regiment as they still wear black woolly pullies and black Guernseys.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I am wearing the peat brown woolly pully today, now the weather is a little warmer and sunny, plus the fact we have just gone onto British Summer Time, just wearing a sweater is fine, no overcoat or jacket is required. :)

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
If anyone is in the Waterloo area of South East London, UK. There is a really good camping and surplus shop in a road called "The Cut" just behind the Mainline railway station, near the Old Vic Theatre. It is only small and rather cramped, but run by a really helpful chap and they have a huge range of all types of outdoor and ex forces clothing etc. If you can not see what you want, just ask. I purchased a couple of items there recently, the prices are very good too.

ingineer

One Too Many
Wooly Pullys,Nice to see a thread here,time to put them away for the season.
I have a few , these are some of them:
Top cream colour from Woolovers , disappointed with this, terrible knit
Next down in green Italian issue, Not a ribbed weave,but very dense
Next down in blue, Israeli issue, Italian wool, Perfect.
Next down SAS blue,US flag, Jack Young One of my favorites
Below that another Italian.
Next in brown with Great Seal pin another Israeli jumper. These are much better than UK issue.
The Grey one is from www.outdoorknitwear.com These guys made the Brigade Quartermaster ones and the only difference from my old one is Velcro epaulettes. This is recent fast delivery. Highly recommended.
Then bottom UK issue very old in blue and a commercial red poly wool.

Richard

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Next in brown with Great Seal pin another Israeli jumper. These are much better than UK issue.
The Grey one is from www.outdoorknitwear.com These guys made the Brigade Quartermaster ones and the only difference from my old one is Velcro epaulettes. This is recent fast delivery. Highly recommended.

Richard

That is an impressive collection of sweaters you have there. I have bought a number from UK's Outdoor Knitwear, they are a really good firm to deal with, their prices are fair and all of their sweaters are excellent.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I have been looking at both woolovers and outdoorknitwear any problems or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

D

Ticklishchap

One Too Many

Richard
Richard,
That is a great collection. I have a large - in fact embarrassingly large - number of Woolly Pullies, mainly from Outdoor Knitwear (including the grey as in your photograph). I wear them whenever the opportunity arises.
Best wishes - and greetings from London,
Aidan

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I have been looking at both woolovers and outdoorknitwear any problems or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

D

The quality of Outdoor Knitwear is better, I think. Also, if you buy a Guernsey, the ones from Woolovers are not really the most 'authentic' in terms of pattern. For these, try Guernsey Woollens (guernseywoollens.com) or Guernsey Knitwear (guernseyknitwear.co.uk). I think there's another called Channel Jumpers.

For military Woolly Pullies, it really has to be Outdoor Knitwear I think.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the advice! Outdoor Knitwear it will be.

D

Another recommendation for Outdoor Knitwear. I have two jumpers from them (a woolly pully and one of their Das Boot jobs) and they are magnificent quality. The company is a breeze to deal with and ship very promptly. You can't go wrong.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Yes I would agree, Outdoor Knitwear are an excellent firm, very good to deal with and a great range of products. I have quite a number of their Woolly Pullies. In fact I am wearing one now.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many

Richard

Richard,
I have a question about your Israeli sweaters: are they ribbed wool? I think they are but can't quite tell from the photo and I have certainly seen Israeli soldiers in ribbed Woolly Pullies.
Best wishes,
Aidan
PS. I notice you use the word 'jumper' for sweater, which is unusual for an American. A

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Richard,
I have a question about your Israeli sweaters: are they ribbed wool? I think they are but can't quite tell from the photo and I have certainly seen Israeli soldiers in ribbed Woolly Pullies.
Best wishes,
Aidan

PS. I notice you use the word 'jumper' for sweater, which is unusual for an American. A

Yes, the word jumper tends to be used here in the UK & Australia too, in the US Sweater seems to be used a lot, in fact that word seems to have originated in the US. I tend to use pullover or Jersey, which also used in New Zealand. I always think it is interesting that one garment can have so many different names.

mariner

New in Town
Am great fan of these, having had about 25 of the 4x4 rib versions over years. Most were Bridgedale branded, in all colours. These were without the epaulettes, but two navy versions were labelled Barbour and a really great one was an Austalian Army version, which has angled shoulder patches and a more u-shaped crew neck. Does anyone here know who did the polo neck / turtleneck versions and whether they still supply them? I have hunted the net in vain, but one of mine came from a surplus shop in London, the other a great cream version from Peter Storm, with WI waterproofing. Whoever made them did a camouflage version too, but I seldom wore it and sold it.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Am great fan of these, having had about 25 of the 4x4 rib versions over years. Most were Bridgedale branded, in all colours. These were without the epaulettes, but two navy versions were labelled Barbour and a really great one was an Austalian Army version, which has angled shoulder patches and a more u-shaped crew neck. Does anyone here know who did the polo neck / turtleneck versions and whether they still supply them? I have hunted the net in vain, but one of mine came from a surplus shop in London, the other a great cream version from Peter Storm, with WI waterproofing. Whoever made them did a camouflage version too, but I seldom wore it and sold it.

You use the past tense: does that mean that you no longer have any WPs. If so, that can easily be remedied, Outdoor Knitwear (www.outdoorknitwear.com) have been mentioned in this thread. They have all the colours that Bridgedale used to do. I 'graduated' to them from Bridgedale when the latter ceased production. I know that they export a polo neck/turtleneck version of the Woolly Pully to Japan. ... They would probably customise one for you. There is a very helpful chap there called Neil Hawthorn. My advice would be to go to the website and have a look: there is a contact form. Good luck.

mariner

New in Town
You use the past tense: does that mean that you no longer have any WPs. If so, that can easily be remedied, Outdoor Knitwear (www.outdoorknitwear.com) have been mentioned in this thread. They have all the colours that Bridgedale used to do. I 'graduated' to them from Bridgedale when the latter ceased production. I know that they export a polo neck/turtleneck version of the Woolly Pully to Japan. ... They would probably customise one for you. There is a very helpful chap there called Neil Hawthorn. My advice would be to go to the website and have a look: there is a contact form. Good luck.

Had seen ads for Outdoor Knitwear - I still have Niffi's old version of the blue 'submarine' jumper that Cabelas in the US used to sell. Most of the WPs I sold on ebay, as I outgrew them, but I still have six though, most are Bridgedale and Commando labelled versions and also a few of the seriously outdoor types that were popular in the 70s - typically with suede patches, from people like Lakeland. The OD green polo neck is sorely missed, so many thanks for the contact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner