Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mineral Make-UP

Kim_B

Practically Family
The only one I've ever used is Bare Minerals. I know it isn't for everyone, but for me it's the only make-up that I can say I love. Instead of just covering up the skin, it actually improves it. They make the claim its safe to sleep in which I can totally vouch for. I'm terrible at remembering to remove my make-up at the end of the day, and since wearing it I've never had a break out! (touch wood on that one!)

YMMV and all that jazz. :)

Miss Marnie

New in Town
Ditto

Kim_B said:
The only one I've ever used is Bare Minerals. I know it isn't for everyone, but for me it's the only make-up that I can say I love. Instead of just covering up the skin, it actually improves it. They make the claim its safe to sleep in which I can totally vouch for. I'm terrible at remembering to remove my make-up at the end of the day, and since wearing it I've never had a break out! (touch wood on that one!)

YMMV and all that jazz. :)

I have to second what Kim B has stated. Bare Minerals is the only thing I can wear without feeling like I'm wearing a mask and without breaking out.

roots66

One of the Regulars
I only recently jumped on the mineral bandwagon. I wanted to get my feet wet with a drugstore version before splurging on the good stuff, so I picked up some L'oreal Feel Naturale on sale a couple months ago. I dig it so much I may never need to shell out for the higher-end brands! Easy to use, comfortable to wear, terrific coverage. It does contain talc, but my complexion doesn't seem to have an issue with that dreaded ingredient (and it *is* a mineral after all, n'est-ce pas?). Wouldn't risk sleeping in it, though.

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
Def Bare Minerals.

I was a MAC girl for so long and it just kept looking weird and drying my face,and then I borrowed a roomie's foundation and loved it.

They have this absolute to die for hot pink blush,that looks awesome with just ruby red lips and black lashes.

Raegan

New in Town
crwritt said:

I've been strictly a Bare Escentuals girl for two years now, but I might just have to get some of this company's products just because it looks like fun. I'd probably still only wear my bare minerals but how fun to make my own makeup. I make my own lotions and other body products so makeup is the next logical step. Thanks for posting that site.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I use Von Natur mineral makeup and the skin care line-Love it!
I had horrible adult acne in August (for about a year) and I started using the all the Von Nature line - and now my skin is great! Just an occational blemish is about all. I have before and after pics that i would post if I could ever figure out how:(

www.vonnatur.com

Brooksie

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
GOK said:
Lily Lolo - wouldn't use anything else. :D

How are you getting on with the samples MG?
I couldn't wait to try this stuff so I put it on this morning....I love it!!!!You sold me GOK! :D I can see that I need to play around with it some, I don't know if your not supposed to put lotion on before applying or not, but, it went on a little spotchy on one place.
The coverage, awesome! and I absolutely love the blondie shade! I've been having the hardest time finding a foundation that was light enough for my complexion!

Kim_B

Practically Family
Amber DeCadence said:
Can I ask a silly question? What is the difference between this and other make-ups? :eek:

Mineral make-up doesn't have any additives (or shouldn't, anyway) unlike most cosmetics. The brand I use is made up of crushed minerals free of preservatives, oils, talc, fragrance, and other skin irritants. It's formulated so people who have skin sensitivities/allergies/etc are able to use it without any problems. Most are very light and smooth when applied - not flaky or caked on. I think they are a lot easier to blend with skin tones, too.

Wow, I sound like a commercial...lol

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Kim_B said:
Mineral make-up doesn't have any additives (or shouldn't, anyway) unlike most cosmetics. The brand I use is made up of crushed minerals free of preservatives, oils, talc, fragrance, and other skin irritants. It's formulated so people who have skin sensitivities/allergies/etc are able to use it without any problems. Most are very light and smooth when applied - not flaky or caked on. I think they are a lot easier to blend with skin tones, too.

Wow, I sound like a commercial...lol

aaand, it's not tested on animals! compassion is classy!

/commercial

i'm totally going to try this stuff. i'm not a big makeup person, but it's def time to switch out my old foundation.

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
is it just me?

I really can't get my head around using powder foundation. I just don't see how it can have the same coverage as liquid.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Emmababy said:
I really can't get my head around using powder foundation. I just don't see how it can have the same coverage as liquid.

Actually, though it doesn't seem logical, you can get excellent coverage using a powdered foundation. There are setting powders and foundation powders, and the latter are more pigmented and heavier in application, whereas the former are better suited for setting makeup/controlling shine without altering the appearance of the rest of your makeup. I have very pink skin and find that in many regards, I achieve better, more natural-looking coverage with a powder then a cream or liquid (I generally don't find liquids to offer as heavy of coverage.) Foundation powders, including mineral makeup, can be applied wet or dry, and when applied wet can further increase the coverage. Plus, powder foundations have the added advantage of relative ease of application, and eliminating an extra product/step—you don’t have to powder over them as you generally do with a liquid or cream foundation.

Since you can order inexpensive samples from most mineral makeup companies, you can always try a few and see if they work well for your skin type. They aren't for everyone, but they can work well. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR