Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mislead again

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Steven!

I must admit, I started watching this one... but it would have to have more robust proportions to suck me in at that price.
So what're the telltale characteristics that ought to set off alarm bells? Other than being labled "New York", I mean. [huh]

MattC

A-List Customer
Made in Italy

I have never been sure about how to distinguish one of those awful Bollman Borsalino's from the real thing. So far what I have done is never to bid on one that doesn't say somewhere that it is made in Italy (either in Italian or English). So far it has worked.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
One way you can tell is the size tag . Borsalino does not use small ,med ect.. tags on straw hats . The leather has an imprint of "Milano New York" . Italian Bors's never used that stamp .
It hurts when I see crap going for high prices like that . It looks to sell for at least $100 .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
No , the hats made here used different tags for the sizes . You can tell just by the feel of the hat. The Bors's made here feel like cardboard . Even the trimming is horrible . That whay they cancelled the license .

Steven

BigSho

Vendor
There were American Borsalinos with real sizing made but the only ones that used the regular sizes were the various furfelt ones that bailey made. But the tags still look different from the ones that borsalino Italy uses. These hats were actually made by Bailey they just licensed the name for a while. You can still find many of the same hats from Bailey without the Borsalino name in them. They still make a hat called the Como II kinda silly but hey.

Jeremy
http://hats-plus.com

S

Samsa

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up - I had no idea there was a knockoff product out there. I don't think I would have bid on a hat with anything other than a proper hat size indicated on the inside, but this gives me one more thing to look out for.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Thats what the FL is for , helping other hat wearers out with info . I'd hate to see someone on the lounge get stuck with an overpriced hat . There too much of it out there already!!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

ledsled

One of the Regulars
thanks for the info.

Thank you Steven for taking the time to educate us on this topic. I never would have known otherwise.

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
O/T Hey Look...

"LedSled" replyed to the "Mislead" "Thread"...

Sorry alittle punchy today... thought it sounded funny... again I'm sorry. Back on topic.

Well another thing you have to think about is the person listing the item. They might not know and the people bidding on it may be the ones hiking up the price.

-JX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24