Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mister Freedom Campus Jacket (Pic Heavy)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Ok I don't normally write reviews but I can't pass up doing so on this one. Further, this is by no means the first or most comprehensive overview of this particular model (John at VEB has done an incredibly thorough assessment of his, as I'm sure many of you already know), but I haven't been this excited for a jacket in a long while- and I've had my paws on a pretty sizable amount of jackets.

I was thankful to recently take possession of this lightly used Mister Freedom Campus Jacket. As a longtime fan of A1 style civvy jackets, I was was excited for this one from the day Christophe first started showing the prototype off in the interwebs a few years ago.

All I can say is wow. The fit, construction, details, just wow.

The jacket is made out of a 2-3oz veg tanned natural cowhide. It's unlined (which is what first attracted me to it), fitted with natural ivory cat eye buttons with pearly white French backing buttons, and has khaki corduroy cuff and collar facings.

The tagged sizing is a bit strange and the measurements are a bit deceiving.

This particular jacket is tagged sz 40 which in this model is considered a Large. It has a 22" pit to pit on the dot and the back measurement is just around 23" from the collar seam to base of hem. I would normally never get a jacket with these specs to fit at all comfortably on me but due to the low sitting collar and modestly wide arm hole openings, it's not tight or short in the slightest bit. In fact it may be my best fitting jacket at the moment.

And the hide. Love it and I think it's perfect for this style jacket. It's buttery soft yet sturdy and you can tell can stand up to abuse. It IS NOT for the person who fusses over scuffs and imperfections. You will go crazy if you can't handle a stain here or there (or everywhere!), as this hide is all but certain to mark up and look abused with normal wear. But that's the point.
(You won't find me eating a plate of wings or ribs while wearing it anytime soon though lol). And as far as wearability, it reminds me of a grab and go jacket similar to a denim jacket. Not sure if it's a result of the hide or the cut or both, but it wears much "easier" than the others in my heard. I can tell I'll be going to this jacket a lot more than others.

I am really looking forward to seeing this jacket evolve and gain its own character. And I would strongly recommend this jacket to anyone asking me about it.

Now for some pics

8CABC9FA-0348-43CB-AD2A-F8D2DDB31850.jpg

FB795BD4-7AA8-45A9-B77B-6CB2F3DE7680.jpg

41D9C5B2-25BE-4759-85A9-9EE7FC2E0D46.jpg

664DC6BA-7664-4CD7-A62D-3D13B756ED77.jpg

AED8B0E2-F06F-488E-952E-7A1E547B5D1D.jpg

EF416A5B-B13F-4755-9F9A-3B4FB1EAA8E7.jpg

357239A0-48DE-4310-A408-56C574187ADF.jpg

981C81FD-BE8F-47DC-B370-C97CEB152501.jpg

35556D6C-FF17-438C-A919-6CAE94E3A60D.jpg

B7AF2742-196E-41FC-9B72-FF31EF623F28.jpg

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Nice review and terrific jacket - what have you done to it so far in terms of sun exposure / conditioner?

Appreciate it, Chris. The previous owner applied a small coat of Oebenaufs LP and sun tanned it for a few hrs. He clearly did a careful job, as the tone is even throughout. I'm kinda glad I got it used to get that piece of it done with :D I don't plan on doing a thing more to it apart from washing it at some point

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Great score Bret. I really like that jacket. I saw it on Vintage Engineer Boots a couple of years ago maybe? I really liked it back then, and still do. Enjoy it mate.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Appreciate it, Chris. The previous owner applied a small coat of Oebenaufs LP and sun tanned it for a few hrs. He clearly did a careful job, as the tone is even throughout. I'm kinda glad I got it used to get that piece of it done with :D I don't plan on doing a thing more to it apart from washing it at some point

Great, that would be my sentiment also as it's a bit nerve wracking but he did a great job and it looks fantastic.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It fits you really well!

I ordered one last month and sent it back, the full retail price felt like far to much for what it is.
I couldn't help but feel that the leather was very very thin and the construction wasn't that impressive.
Nothing bad! But in my eyes it was not worth $1000... It also didn't fit me that well, far to short for tall people IMO.

But then, seeing it on you i can't help but regret my decision.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Appreciate your compliments and honest feedback, Carlos!

To me, this is easily worth it's asking price. To each his own, of course- and I understand and respect your opinion and experience. But when you compare this to other jackets made by similar outfits (or other items make and sold by MF) I think it's an incredibly solid price at $950 (plus shipping- and duties for you poor int'l suckers lol). Aero's small run Aeromarine in shank leather (albeit lined, and again I prefer it unlined in this model and leather) was £750ish

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Appreciate your compliments and honest feedback, Carlos!

To me, this is easily worth it's asking price. To each his own, of course- and I understand and respect your opinion and experience. But when you compare this to other jackets made by similar outfits (or other items make and sold by MF) I think it's an incredibly solid price at $950 (plus shipping- and duties for you poor int'l suckers lol). Aero's small run Aeromarine in shank leather (albeit lined, and again I prefer it unlined in this model and leather) was £750ish

I understand it's all relative, it's just that when you think that for the same money you can get a Shinki Diamond Dave jacket, or a nice custom Aero, or Lewis Leathers, it just doesn't feel like that jacket is on the same level.
I do love the concept and if it did fit me as well as it fit you i would have most probably kept it! It's just that it felt very expensive for a jacket that didn't fit me well.

But then, how can anyone argue with this:

tumblr_n1gw30exzn1rrhkt8o1_1280_zpsyelnexv4.jpg

Coolest thing ever IMO, please do post some evo pics as you break it in.

PS: i have seen worst pictures taken by grown men! Your kid did a great job!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Lol! Thx man :)

Yeah, I think the cheapest you might find a knock off version of this jacket would be at around $700. Anything cheaper would be mall jacket territory. So considering that, the craftsmanship etc I think the value is there. But I DO hear ya (I do trust me lol)

Benj

One of the Regulars
Perfect fit! Really suits your style too, great pickup.

Also loving the RJB's, nice to see some real quality denim on this site for once! The zimbabwe denim or older version?

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
I like how the jacket looks like a cross between a shawl cardigan and a leather jacket. The tan is beautiful too.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Thx for all the compliments guys

Also loving the RJB's, nice to see some real quality denim on this site for once! The zimbabwe denim or older version?

Great eye you got there;) yes these are the Zimbabwe cotton version. They have an amazing hand feel and weave to them. Favorite jeans in quite some time

quick hurry, you need some natural veg tan Wesco's to age together.

Hah don't I wish. Did you pick a pair of those up?!

like a cross between a shawl cardigan and a leather jacket.

I completely agree with you on this. It wears the same

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I'd love to see something like this in some good cotton duck....

Interesting you state a preference for it unlined - what's the difference? I've never owned an unlined leather, always wodnered how it feels. PArticularly whether it makes it more wearable in heat than, say a light cotton lining as in an A2...

Yeah, once you discount the material and loabour for the lining, this looks to be in the same ballpark as the Aero, pricewise. I'm intrigud. I'm increasingly tmepted by the notion of a natural leather for a Summer jacket at some point, perhaps an Aero Royale. Interesting to see how it breaks in.

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Great looking jacket Bret, you've got to be very happy. That's going to age amazingly. Now that's a jacket that could do with some spillage of burger juices!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner