Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Dobbs?

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
I've seen no mention, pro or con, regarding this manufacturer's present products, although they semm to be featured in many places. Any thoughts, on both fur felts and straws?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Your hat is new or old ? From the name Soverign , I'd guess that it was an older hat . The Sulgrave is a modern version of the hat .It's what is called a bankers hat . Very classic.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Their straws are decent for the money . Nothing fancy , like a 1000.00 Monticristi straw , but if you want a decent panama for 100.00 , Stetson is your hat . They also have a sisol straw that is very light weight and breathable .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

ortega76

Practically Family
I have a great Dobbs straw porkpie that's been beaten up a little but still looks great. I can't complain about the price- $55 and the 6 years it's given me.

J.B.

Practically Family
ortega76 said:
I have a great Dobbs straw porkpie that's been beaten up a little but still looks great. I can't complain about the price- $55 and the 6 years it's given me.

I have one of these, too! Love it! It is my "go to" hat and here in Los Angeles' year-'round straw season -- I just leave it by the door and grab it on the way out the door if I'm running late or if I don't want to bother brushin' up a felt...

(It hasn't seen the inside of a hat box in several years!!) :p

ortega76

Practically Family
J.B. said:
I have one of these, too! Love it! It is my "go to" hat and here in Los Angeles' year-'round straw season -- I just leave it by the door and grab it on the way out the door if I'm running late or if I don't want to bother brushin' up a felt...

(It hasn't seen the inside of a hat box in several years!!) :p

Absolutely a great hat! I wear it as a casual hat all summer long. It even sees use being paired with my casual khaki silk suit but mostly it's for sunny days walking around town and nights at the bar.

Byrne Sherwood

Familiar Face
I have two Dobbs furs and a straw and they are hats that I usually wear when "dressing up", i.e. wearing a suit. That means that they get occasional wear and that I am careful with them. I have no complaints with them and they get plenty of compliments. In reading this and other threads regarding the modern state of hat making, it occurs to me that a factor that should be considered is the frequency with which one one wears a hat and for what occasions. My Dobbs hats might become unsatisfactory if I wore them everyday in all weather, but as it stands, they are affordable and serve their intended purpose.

ortega76

Practically Family
Byrne Sherwood said:
In reading this and other threads regarding the modern state of hat making, it occurs to me that a factor that should be considered is the frequency with which one one wears a hat and for what occasions. My Dobbs hats might become unsatisfactory if I wore them everyday in all weather, but as it stands, they are affordable and serve their intended purpose.

I find this idea to be present in most of the posts on this board, just keep in mind many of the members of the board wear their hats every single day. For these members, a $500 Optimo is a functional luxury! I would say those of us who enjoy hats but don't wearthem everyday are in the minority on this board. I hope that changes for me, personally!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy