Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern wedding gowns

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Those dresses look gorgeous. I love the use of the lace, I haven't seen many wedding gowns these days that actually incorporate lace. The past couple weddings I've been to the brides all had simple but elegant gowns, no lace or beading or anything fancy.

I, on the other hand, am planning to go all out. Since I'm so particular I actually might end up making my own, but then again I'm not the best seamstress so maybe just designing it along with one who can make it perfect. That is if I ever get around to setting that wedding date..

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
those are lovely! I particularly like the second one (though I didn't want to do cleavage for my wedding...)

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
by the way - since it's my avatar - that's me wearing all original 1930s... managed to find an unworn 30s dress. Lot cheaper than buying a new one, I must say. My veil cost 50p!

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Thank you! I became a little obsessed with getting everything 30s, but I'm glad it worked (had to sew myself in!). The florist didn't do a good job of 30s flowers though. Far too tasteful!

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
This is the back of the one I hope to wear someday. The store seems to be gone so I will have to find someone to make this, and I don't remember the front of it either. I think it was called the Norma Shearer.
1930BC1.jpg

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Oh, I love that one. Norma Shearer was so beautiful.

I was going to go vintage or make my own, but I fell in love with this one:
bvdress.jpg

BV - No strapless duchesse satin ballgowns for me...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I used to read the blog Manolo for the Brides. (I wasn't getting married, I just thought the blogger was interesting to read.) Anyway, a lot of people commented on the fact that they wanted or needed wedding gowns with sleeves, but everything in the store was backless, strapless, spaghetti straps...so brides wear a long skirt, a substantial veil, and bare shoulders. [huh]

Manolo the Shoeblogger, in his infinite good taste, loves the gown that Grace Kelly wore on her wedding day:

grace.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Anyway, a lot of people commented on the fact that they wanted or needed wedding gowns with sleeves, but everything in the store was backless, strapless, spaghetti straps...

This is sooo true. I'm getting married in March and it took me forever to find a dress with sleeves. Mine has 3/4 lace sleeves, and the dress definetly has a vintage feel to it. I'd post a picture, but my honey is on FL and I want it to be a surprise! Luckily mine also came in petite, at only 5' it doesn't need to be hemmed at all!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
I used to read the blog Manolo for the Brides. (I wasn't getting married, I just thought the blogger was interesting to read.) Anyway, a lot of people commented on the fact that they wanted or needed wedding gowns with sleeves, but everything in the store was backless, strapless, spaghetti straps...so brides wear a long skirt, a substantial veil, and bare shoulders. [huh]

This was a problem when I got married over 6 years ago! I wanted long sleeves and I had a terrible time finding anything that wasn't strapless or sleeveless. I ended up finding a Paloma Blanca dress in a very classic style - with long sleeves! I believe I posted a photo of it in ITGs thread.

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
So true. I went to 4 weddings this year, and I have played in my swing band at a lot more -- and at all but one of them, the brides (whilst they looked lovely) were wearing the identical dress - strapless, corseted, smooth over the hips, flared skirt. On the larger lady this is not a good look. Why do they do it? Put your shoulders away!

Actually, I don't suppose any of the women here would forget this, but for goodness sake make sure you have some way of hooking your dress up for dancing! I have seen too many brides attempting to dance whilst holding their skirt up with both hands. It makes them look like dancing apes.

Snookie

Practically Family
Back during the Golden Era (I think up through the 70's?) there were defined ideas about what was appropriate clothing for the wedding party, and it was very different from eveningwear. Today, wedding fashions are inspired solely by evening fashions, either present or past. I guess they think this way it'll be easier to rewear those hideous bridesmaid dresses later.

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Snookie said:
I guess they think this way it'll be easier to rewear those hideous bridesmaid dresses later.

So true!
It seems the sole aim in the 30s was to make your bridesmaids look as awful as possible. Usually in pink or pale blue, with a Bo Peep bonnet...

Thinking about it - I wonder if the thing was, that many, many weddings were not in the evening. If you had a morning wedding, you had a wedding breakfast or lunch, the men wore morning suits, and the women wore clothes appropriate to that time of day. The wedding did not go on all day and into the night...
Very occasionally you see pictures of evening weddings where the bride is wearing something a little more slinky, and the groom is wearing evening tails. But today I think we are just in the process of losing that distinction between morning, afternoon and evening wear.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I found this designer when I was looking for a wedding dress. He makes gorgeous, vintage inspired dresses for weddings, as well as special occasion dresses. His prices were out of my budget, but I thought I'd share :) There are many others on his website.

http://martinmccrea.com/

essence1.jpg

essence2.jpg

fiona_1.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I can't tell you how sick I am of seeing the strapless bridal gowns, ugh! They really aren't that flattering on most, even if you are thin, imo. Esp. since many of the tops are straight accross, makes them look boxy with wide shoulders. I have seen very few sweetheart necklines. And the thing is, they all look the same, who wants a dress like that?? Not to mention they're using LESS fabric and charging higher prices, hehe..

Even after losing weight I don't want my arms showing for such an occasion, much less my UNDER arms, lol!!

This is why I had my gown made 6 years ago. It was a cross between victorian, colonial, and renaissance.

The gowns you all listed are gorgeous! Texas girl that is so awesome your gown came in a petite size! Do they think everyone is 5'7" or taller? LOL!

Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
OOOOooo Texas girl, I really like those Martin dresses! Very Titanic ish! I think they would be easy to make too.

Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred