Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern wedding gowns

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Here is my gown,
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343355684

I was dieting at the time then too, and had no idea what size I'd be when the date arrived. So I loved this pattern with the lacing on the sides, no worries!

Funds were limited then and I went with panne instead of real velvet. The outer layer is fine corderoy. If I had it to do all over again it would be silk taffeta, in an 1890's bustle style. No bell skirt! I didn't have internet then to research what I had in mind. It still turned out beautiful, and it weighs like 50 pounds, lol!

Nikki

melankomas

One of the Regulars
ohairas said:
Here is my gown,
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343355684

I was dieting at the time then too, and had no idea what size I'd be when the date arrived. So I loved this pattern with the lacing on the sides, no worries!

Funds were limited then and I went with panne instead of real velvet. The outer layer is fine corderoy. If I had it to do all over again it would be silk taffeta, in an 1890's bustle style. No bell skirt! I didn't have internet then to research what I had in mind. It still turned out beautiful, and it weighs like 50 pounds, lol!

Nikki

mercy! well done!

Folly

One of the Regulars
My grandmother had a pale blue lace dress (she was married in the 1950's) and I don't even know what happened to that.

My mum was married in 1976 and my goodness, wasn't that a dress of the time! It was navy with yellow rose buds and my step dad wore cream lol I still say it's the best Of The Time wedding photo I have ever seen. They're both wearing platforms.

My dress though not Golden Era, was mediaeval style and was made for me as a wedding gift. I'm rather tall so knew off the peg wasn't an option with me. I also never had flowers, I carried a white prayer book with a marker beaded with blue beads. Both my grandmother and mother married in blue and as that wasn't an option for me, I had blue beads.

My dress and the faery tale wedding photos we had taken -

wed5.jpg

gkfg.jpg

wed1.jpg

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Folly said:
My grandmother had a pale blue lace dress

Interesting. One of my friends, from a Polish family, at least the past 3 generations of her family have been married in pale blue. Did it used to be more common to do so, I wonder? Why that colour?

Folly

One of the Regulars
TOTTIE said:
Interesting. One of my friends, from a Polish family, at least the past 3 generations of her family have been married in pale blue. Did it used to be more common to do so, I wonder? Why that colour?

Maybe it's the luck idea - something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. Dress in blue and you have oodles of luck!

fleur

One of the Regulars
Those are gorgeous pics.

I got married 11 years ago and at the time the shops were filled with horrendous merrangue tulle creations which did nothing for shortie me!

In the end I paid £112 for ivory silk dupion and me and my gran hashed various patterns together for the georgian/victorian-esq style I wanted. She spent hours covering the millions of buttons for the sleeves and the front of the jacket and for miles of piping around the edges!

You have my permission to go to sleep now because I got all mushy looking back at my pics!

My mum and my bridesmaids - my gran also made the outfits. My mother was quite concerned about wearing black but nothing else suited her and I think she looks fantastic

This is me and my Grandmother who is also my best friend in the whole wide world. She was 70 when she made my dress and helped me make my skirt for the xmas ball recently.

This is the second best picture ever taken of me as I am not photogenic at all!

This is probably the only rear picture of my outfit. I didnt want a huge great train so I had a chapel length train with a 3 tier veil (which I was adamant I wasnt going to wear and was going to wear a riding hat). The longest tier was longer than the train of my skirt and the effect was marvellous

This is Ken and I walking back up the aisle of the country church we got married in. I was quite insistant that I wanted the front of my skirt to be quite flat. My gran made me a petticoat that was tiered at the back to hold out the millions of pleats that she put at the back to make it quite full.

Us again infront of the vintage Rolls Royce I fell in love with when I saw it!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Folly and Fleur your wedding photos are both very fairytale like.. just gorgeous! I love Folly's with the trees and her beau looking over her shoulder.. What a great photographer! Very pretty dress.

And Fleur's with the beautiful Rolls. Your dress was beautiful and how special that your Grandmother made it. And you're wrong, you're VERY photogenic!
Love the roses in your hair.

Nikki

fleur

One of the Regulars
Thank you Nikki! I've always thought I wasnt photogenic so had to find me a good photographer lol

I nearly didnt go in that Rolls! The one chauffeur tried to put my bridesmaids and my mother in it to take them to the church - they went in a Roller from the 60s - but my mum said that she wouldnt like to meet me at the other end if they hijacked my car lol

As for the roses - I have those dried and stored still on the wire that went in my hair - I was particular about the colour and had to have twisted willow run through them.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I recently got married, and I made my own gown.

I used this pattern:

V2240.jpg

But I modified it a bit so it would be a one of a kind:

meighan-1.jpg

The bridesmaids also made their dresses:

thegirls.jpg

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! I was abundantly *blessed* on top, so I felt that the straight-across neckline would be too much fabric. I like v-necks, so this worked out for me. And I lucked out in finding the pale pink fabric I had in mind.

As for the gals, I tried to pick a pattern that they might wear again. The fabric was a simple quilting cotton. One of the gals made the pattern in a different fabric for going to a fancy show shortly after the wedding. Yay!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Everyone's dresses are so gorgeous!

Babydoll--just gorgeous and I love the lace overlay
Fleur--genius! I thought it was vintage at first glance. So stunning!
TexasGirl--Wow! It looks incredible--so detail oriented
Folly--what a beautiful dress--those photos look like they came out of a book.

Strapless wedding dresses are supposedly going out of style--although they have been the style for about 10 years or so, but the tide is turning. I was just too chesty and broadshouldered for a strapless wedding gown and it just wasn't my style, so I bought a vintage dress from the late 1930s off of eBay for $160 and wore that.

I JUST got my photos back from my vintage inspired wedding on Nov. 18th, so I will post some of the pictures shortly!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
First off, I apologize for the number of pictures.

So, please indulge me with the shameless number of pictures I put up. I just got the photos yesterday and it's taking me forever to get through them. The photographer when nuts and took more than a 1000 photos but I think these show off the dress quite nicely.

Skillbilly and I married November 18th this year and we took our graphics/theme from an Arthur Murray "How To Dance" book printed in 1938. I bought my dress off of eBay for $160 and then lost roughly 50 lbs to fit into it over a year.

Anyway, here's the dress and my shameless mugging:
2002860193537525758_rs.jpg

Oh and you can kinda see the train from here--it was about six feet of length on this one. Oof!
2002885846807994354_rs.jpg

Here's one of the hair:
2005119832408194545_rs.jpg

And here's me and my sweetie. I knit him the red socks he's wearing as his wedding present. No cold feet allowed on that day!
2002825264544300420_rs.jpg

And this is my favorite picture from the wedding so far.
2002812911736887065_rs.jpg

Thanks ladies for putting up with my brideyness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner