Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern wedding gowns

Amelie

A-List Customer
oh my! that train is SO long!!! :eek: (I don't want to think about the amount of fabric needed )

but the dress is absolutely beautiful! I love the sleeves!!

and you look gorgeous!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Wow!!

I wish I was getting married just for the gorgeous gowns you ladies get to look so splendid in! Now I have designs to dream about!:D

I can't get over that train Dottie! How did you move in it?!? It's positively resplendent, and I love how you did your hair and make up!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
You all are very very kind!

The train was long. I just tossed it over my arm for the night and with the help of an amazing tailor created a bustle for it so I could dance.

And thanks for the compliments on the sleeves. The original ones are too puffy to even be worn. Just insanity!

texasgirl

One Too Many
Dottie! You look beautiful! I love your shoes too! Now I'm rethinking my wedding shoes!!! My honey is wearing his sepctators too! I hadn't thought about the "cold feet" idea- too cute! Your make-up looks fabulous too!

glass susie

New in Town
This thread is the reason I have registered.
My husband and I had a 1940s style wedding and all the wedding party dressed appropriately.
My dress was a copy of a war time dress that had been made out of a parachute. My husband wore a de-mob suit. Our car was a Humber Snipe staff car driven by my best friend in her ATS uniform. My father was a Royal Navy officer and although retired he managed to get back into his 'rig'. We cut the cake with his sword. My mother's dress, hat and fox were all original.
I hope you like the piccies, I apologise for the white surround but they are scans of pre-digital photos!
wedding1.jpg

wedding2.jpg

wedding3.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
Those pictures are great! You look amazing! I can't believe you were able to get everyone to dress authentic! So cool! Welcome to the Lounge BTW!

glass susie

New in Town
texasgirl said:
Those pictures are great! You look amazing! I can't believe you were able to get everyone to dress authentic! So cool! Welcome to the Lounge BTW!
Thanks Texasgirl!
Most people were really keen, we sent the invites out about 8 months before and enclosed a ''help leaflet'' to show the styles. My mum took a bit of convincing as she did not think we could tell people what to wear but she soon came round when she found a vintage clothes shop in her local town! She also looked great on the day! Other guests searched charity and fancy dress hire shops and some even made their outfits. It was easy for some as they are members of the same living history group but it was an excuse for them to wear their suits instead of uniform. It was very distracting as I walked down the aisle to see how great everyone looked. My father in law was convinced to dress up in uniform as he looked the part with his tash but he was paranoid as he out-ranked my dad, who really was in the services!
It was a great day with great memories, how it should be really!

Kim_B

Practically Family
Not vintage by any means, but I love my dress...I call it my Cinderella dress :)

My favorite photo of me:
43.jpg

Here's a shot of the back - excuse the poorly arranged gloves (no one mentioned that girls with plump arms and gloves don't make for attractive photos, and no one bothered to tell me it was starting to roll down my arm!:eek: )
32.jpg

This is another favorite photo...excuse the excessive clevage and the bra strap - I had some last minute problems with my underthings!
38.jpg

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
These are wonderful, ladies!

Glass Susie! Welcome to the Lounge and thanks for sharing those terrific photos. It looks like it was an amazing wedding to say the least! Wow! I'm impressed that you got people to also dress vintage too! I was happy that a handful of people dressed vintage. It def. helps with the whole feeling.

And Kim_B--you look darling! I love the gloves in particular. I can see how a dress that pretty would make anyone feel like Cinderella at the ball!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Paisley said:
I used to read the blog Manolo for the Brides. (I wasn't getting married, I just thought the blogger was interesting to read.) Anyway, a lot of people commented on the fact that they wanted or needed wedding gowns with sleeves, but everything in the store was backless, strapless, spaghetti straps...so brides wear a long skirt, a substantial veil, and bare shoulders. [huh]

Manolo the Shoeblogger, in his infinite good taste, loves the gown that Grace Kelly wore on her wedding day:

grace.jpg

I'm definitely going Grace Kelly on my wedding...Long veil and everything, the whole shebang. Now if anyone knows a Prince they could introduce me to....

waingirl

One of the Regulars
I am getting married in September of this year and bought my dress before coming up with the idea of a "Casablanca" themed wedding. So I will wear this dress for the ceremony and probably change into something with a more vintage feel and definitely more comfortable to dance in!

The model:

Me:

lol

Train:

I am turning Phoebe's Cafe (Syracuse, NY) into Rick's Cafe Americain. There will be white tablecloths on all the tables and I am going to make individual beaded lampshades for each table. I will also have vintage magazines through out the restaurant. And possibly Rick's lone table with the chess game set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner