Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monogram

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I talked to Graham yesterday, and he said he was getting ready to gold stamp my initials into my hat.

I said "WHAT... NO...".
He has two ways to monogram your hat, gold stamping letters or punching them in using holes. I Preffer the holes. It may be cheaper, though nowadays it is a rarity. outside of Optimo, every modern hatter I know gold stamps initials. In fact the only other place i have seen thme punched in is on vintage military or dress hats from the 20's 30's and 40's.

Gold stamped has always been used more than the punch, though I preffer the punch.

punched Optimo
100_0034-vi.jpg

Vintage
100_0068-vi.jpg

Michaelson

One Too Many
The punch definitely seemed to be the preferred way to go in the past. I saw a VERY nice boater in an antique store last weekend (to small for me, durn it!) that had the original owners initials punched in it's sweatband. Still looked as sharp and crisp as the day it was installed, too. Regards. Michaelson

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Matt, I also use the punch but mostly on Straws. I use gold leaf on felts unless punch is requested. I just sent Fedora a punch so I know he also initializes with a punch.
The best things don't always go away.))

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
That's cool.

I've also seen gold letters on the inside... usually glued to the inside roof of an unlined bowler... wouldn't fly with a soft hat. I will post a pic of it sometime.

I have noticed that embossed gold lettering on the sweatbands of modern hats I have owned, like those from The Custom Hatter or Peters Brothers or from Worth and Worth, never last while those in vintage hats never wear away. Do you know what the difference is? Have you noticed this too?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Matt, I haven't worked with it enough to notice a real difference. I suspect that the heat used and amount of time on the sweat makes a difference, but I'm not sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW