Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monster Bash Videos ... show us how you bash!!

tommyK

One Too Many
I was thinking it would be useful to see this process in a fresh open crown hat. One that doesn't have the "memory" of a crease in it. Like a Camp Draft or one of the new Stetson open crowns. This would probably involve using some steam or distilled water. Might be helpful as well.
Of course that means getting a new hat. Been thinking of a taupe fawn Camp Draft, hmm..............

EstherWeis

Vendor
This is such a great idea!
Very interesting.
I don't see how I could contribute to this, I don't think you guys are in to girly creases :)
But none the less, thank you for this very useful info !

I'm inspired! I just re creased one of my own...
d80f9bfd9604d9aecd072a45c938ce42.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I was thinking it would be useful to see this process in a fresh open crown hat. One that doesn't have the "memory" of a crease in it. Like a Camp Draft or one of the new Stetson open crowns. This would probably involve using some steam or distilled water. Might be helpful as well.
Of course that means getting a new hat. Been thinking of a taupe fawn Camp Draft, hmm..............

new thread idea ... new hat

I like it ... and think you should do it !! :)

I've really been thinking of heading to Bencraft and picking up a modern Alessandria ... I believe you have one ... what are your thoughts on it?

maybe I will open it fresh and bash it for the first time in this thread

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
new thread idea ... new hat

I like it ... and think you should do it !! :)

I've really been thinking of heading to Bencraft and picking up a modern Alessandria ... I believe you have one ... what are your thoughts on it?

Man I wish I lived near a hat store I could visit and try on hats but I'd be broke! Everything around here is a western store. I do sometimes go in and check out the western hats to feel the felt and sweats and compare them to what I have.

tommyK

One Too Many

I've got two. I like the felt on them but hate the sweatband. It has the overstitch that is supposed to look like the old unreeded sweatbands but just serves to irritate my forehead. I take a stitch ripper and remove the overstitch (it's not what holds the sweatband on).

I was thinking a fresh Camp Draft because they are a little more difficult to shape. People might enjoy seeing one of us fighting one of these ornery things into shape!

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Well, Moon, I've thought about it, but haven't had the time to make something and put it up. Not certain exactly what I could offer other than to see somebody else crease a hat. I actually use David's idea for center creases, except I use a beer bottle.

Hey, they're usually pretty easy to put my hands on around the house, y'know?
"CHEERS" Fruno.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
But everyone has something a little different to offer... a little tidbit maybe someone else had not thought of that you find a no brainier ... Or even just a little piece of your personality that makes reading your future posts more relatable.
That's the stuff that interests me

I was going to do another with more detail and some steam but wanted to wait for some others to contribute first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It took me over a year to learn how to just take a pic...

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Waiting for a Fawn CD from EA. April.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
This is such a great idea!
Very interesting.
I don't see how I could contribute to this, I don't think you guys are in to girly creases :)
But none the less, thank you for this very useful info !

I'm inspired! I just re creased one of my own...
d80f9bfd9604d9aecd072a45c938ce42.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Great creasing and of course we are!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Offering up my supplemental variation on the basic diamond bash illustrated so nicely by Moon.
I'll include the drawing I sent Moon in case it isn't clear in the video
Of course doing this in a fresh open crown may require some steam to set some of the tighter parts of the pinch. Subject for another video I'd guess

pinch%20diagram_zps13bjg8ao.jpg
Yes Sir. Back of the pinches go DOWN! Thank you!!! :)

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I think we all need need to buy new open crown hats and make videos! Enabler? Guilty as charged!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Offering up my supplemental variation on the basic diamond bash illustrated so nicely by Moon.
Of course doing this in a fresh open crown may require some steam to set some of the tighter parts of the pinch. Subject for another video I'd guess

just watched this again.... and am currently wearing a version of this on my Portis

but instead of a diamond it is more of a six point because that is what the hat told me it wanted ... see it in the what are you wearing thread

tommyK

One Too Many
just watched this again.... and am currently wearing a version of this on my Portis

but instead of a diamond it is more of a six point because that is what the hat told me it wanted ... see it in the what are you wearing thread

Looks great, Moon.

This is the bash I'm often shooting for but, like You, I'm going to let the hat do what it wants to some extent. I want my hats to be organic, clearly shaped by hand, not machine-like perfection.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Looks great, Moon.

This is the bash I'm often shooting for but, like You, I'm going to let the hat do what it wants to some extent. I want my hats to be organic, clearly shaped by hand, not machine-like perfection.

thank you ... and agreed

Tommy, I learned a few things from your video & tried your dry method out on my new BGCD. But I discovered my hat is still much too stiff for the bash to hold for very long. Plus until it conforms to my head shape a bit I need the bubble in the bash so the hat will sit up a bit higher on my head. So I will be cleaning up & fine tuning the bash a bit with some steam soon.

Thanks for posting your video!

tommyK

One Too Many
HJ, I've had better luck giving Akubras a spray with distilled water and shaping them than with steam. I guess it depends if it's a minor tweak or a major job of wrestling it into a shape. The BGCD is my favorite felt of all my Akubras.

I'm shaping a vintage ultra thin Borsalino in this video. Very easy to work with and shape. I did put in an order for a Camp Draft so I think I will show a video shaping a thicker more difficult hat for comparison when it arrives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner