Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monster Bash Videos ... show us how you bash!!

Wow!!!! Great thread. I watched all the videos about 10x's each. Haha.

My new Canpdraft is on the way and I think I'll video my first time ever bashing a hat on here. Just for kicks, plus for help on how to fix my mistakes. :)

Thanks for all the info.

Oh, do y'all have any suggestions for bashing a new CD? I believe someone said they are a little stiff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some are stiffer than others. But they're still easy to work with. They will forgive you your mistakes.

Steam or spaying it with distilled water will soften it up so you can shape it.

I've never thought about spaying mine. In fact, I don't know if they are male or female.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
My point is that the shape of the open crown change a lot between hat models. The specific shape of the original block is often a very defining factor in the look and style of a specific model.

I don't say, that the job will not look good. The hat may very well obtain a look, quite different from the original look, though :)

This is very true. Take an example in a Stetson OR and then a Resistol OR Clone, the shape of those hats in the open crown mode, is very different in shape. From our experience here, the Resistol seems to not taper up to a crown as the Stetson does. In other words the Resistol hat is a bit more "flat" on the crown. And as much as we here do love the Stetsons, it is a given we over time prefer the look of the Resistol hat much more when dealing with the normal vintage of a 3X hat.

EstherWeis

Vendor
Just to test the felt quality.
0.5 second bash.

I'm planning on doing a compare the felt video.
Modern vs vintage lightweight felt.

793d47693e7994b938db2749455deaf3.jpg

J. Adams

New in Town
I think if you're going to do the cattleman on a wide ribbon hat you've got to have one with 5 1/2+ inches of open crown height or they don't look right
db00681d-62e2-4f0f-a242-b5f531860097_zpsdrit62eh.jpg

This Mallory, for example is in the 5 5/8 inch open crown range. I got this hat from gdurand and wanted to make it different somehow so I tried the cattleman

I heartily agree. And that hat looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo