Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Montechristi vs. Cuenca question

French

Familiar Face
Hi,

I'm new here and am planning for a Panama Hat for next summer. I've read up on the Montechristi and Cuenca versions of the Panama hat. Right now, the Cuenca is within my budget, but I would hate to "throw that money away" with a hat that only lasted a summer or two.

I would appreciate it if those in the know would share their opinions of the two types, and then, share opinions of the different grades of Montechristi, as I would hate to buy a sub-fino and just to find out it is junk.

Thanks,
French

HungaryTom

One Too Many
French,

For pure sun protection buy a low weave density Cuenca, this will be your workhorse, a beater. Since the weave is irregular and it has holes in between the strands -you can see them if you hold the hat against the light- the ventilation is no problem. The price is affordable so you will not be afraid to wear it for excursions, beach, everyday, etc.
In other words the Cuenca will be the utility hat. The money you spend for it is not thrown away since you will use this hat in most of the time.

Montecristi? It is a luxury, where your budget decides how far you go. They are rather beautiful works of art than utility wear.

I think neither Cuenca or Montecristi are junk - they are hand-woven products, the amount of workload to produce them varies between a few hours and few hundred work hours. But none of them will replace an air-conditioner or a cold shower in the extreme summer heat. Also none of them keep their shape after a heavy summer rain.

Also: please don't try to fold any Panama hat - this practice will definitely kill them in one or two years - even if they are made from flexible straw. The raw material -Carludovica palmata- comes from the equatorial rainforest and rewards the steams of a bathroom in use very much. This prevents that the straw dries out and brittles.

Regards:

Tom

French

Familiar Face
thanks Tom!

Tom,

Thanks for the information, insight and reality check. I guess reading the forums makes me forget that most likely all the hats discussed are quite nice.

Based on your post, I think a Cuenca and a lower end Montechristi are in the plans for next spring/summer.

Thanks,
French

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
French ...

Also, if you stick around this forum, make sure you talk to PanamaBob about it. He can give you the best advice and, since you're a member, he seems to often have a few deals to be had. I got my first Cuenca delivered for about the same price I would pay for a ball cap at the mall and you just can't beat that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24