Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motocycle / Fedora question...

Zig2k143

Practically Family
With Gas being what it is and hell I always wanted one anyway... I'm considering buying a motorcycle...

But how do I carry my Fedora?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Easy enough:

Take a look at the hat can at the bottom of this page. IIRC, they run about $70. Similar devices are widely avaiable, and can easily be modified to attach to a bike. I live near the Greeley Hatworks and know them to be great people...it may be that Aaron or other vendor/members here offer similar hat cans, but I checked Aaron and Duane's websites and didn't see any.

The hat can also has the advantage of being great protection for trips and vacations.

A motorcyclist replies:

I have used a surplus-type air force helmet bag to carry my humble Golden Gate Hat Co "Philadelphia" (7 5/8) inside a Givi aftermarket hard luggage mounted behind seat, or bungee'd BY THE EDGE D RINGS (to avoid crushing), or over the shoulder. Not perfect, but it works.
Yes, it is a soft bag and does not afford the protection of a hatbox, but you can use it for the motorcycle helmet after you arrive. Love the look of a "puddin' bowl" and goggles, but shudder at anything less than a full-face. I have wondered if some of the IKEA round boxes may be made to work as a cheap hatbox.
Alas, bike is modern, a concession to reliability (not even a shade tree mechanic, I).
And please, if this is your first bike, or have not ridden in awhile, do take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course - as I did appx. a quarter million miles ago. Los Angeles traffic "drove" me to adopt a motorcycle as transpo long ago (now add cellphones to the mix, yucch).
Riding does limit one's clothing options. Personally, boots must always be worn (Bates "Fast Lane" type, Sidi Italian), pants get dirty cuffs from road grime and chain lube, a suit flaps unless worn under a proper riding jacket (and it DOES get equatorially warm here in So Cal), or get wrinkled packed & bungee'd, and now where is m'lady riding pillion going to put herself & her kit? (admit I have not had that passenger problem recently)

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Thanks as soon as I can find a bike I'm going to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course....

And thanks for your advice too. :)

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
ditch the fedora and get yourself a good solid Bowler - the upside is you won't need a helmet!!:D

just kidding.

those hard cases are a really great idea, but a lot depends on the style and type of motorcycle you purchase.

If you got a cool classic BMW or new Ural with a Sidecar, It'd solve all your problems. You'd look vintage with either bike and the sidecar would provide plenty of storage and protection for your lid.

You could even take that special someone with you for a vintage picnic outing, tres jolie!!

dv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic