Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I had thought about that. I will wait until I get some burgundy ribbon in my hands to place on the hat before deciding whether this, or which hat will be the one.
I purchased burgundy ribbon, then understood that I really wanted maroon. Mitchem's ribbon looks maroon to me.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Looking for a chick flick to take my wife to for Mother's Day, I find this new this weekend.

Charlize Theron, Seth Rogen in

IMG_2466.PNG

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I purchased burgundy ribbon, then understood that I really wanted maroon. Mitchem's ribbon looks maroon to me.

When I first got involved in this discussion, and then quest for ribbon that I thought was a close enough match to Mitchum's hat, I had used the word burgundy either because someone else had used it, or it was the word I thought best described the color in question.

Your post, Hat, now puts doubt in my mind, as I hadn't realized, or even thought about, the difference between burgundy and maroon.

Of the many links that popped up to the search for 'what is the difference between burgundy and maroon,' here is a chart that explains it pretty well:

Difference-Between-Maroon-and-Burgundy-infographic-1.jpg

Here is a color progression that shows color (families) on either side of burgundy and maroon, and where they lead as they move away from b and m:

burgundy maroon extensions.jpg

As I was trying to move away from brown ribbons (I have plenty of brown-ribboned hats) to duplicate . . . no, not duplicate, but merely to 'honor' RM's hat, and his appeared to me to have a ribbon with more purple in it than brown, I chose burgundy. Not everyone's choice, obviously.

Thank you for bringing up the maroon thing, which allowed me to look into it further and learn something.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
When I first got involved in this discussion, and then quest for ribbon that I thought was a close enough match to Mitchum's hat, I had used the word burgundy either because someone else had used it, or it was the word I thought best described the color in question.

Your post, Hat, now puts doubt in my mind, as I hadn't realized, or even thought about, the difference between burgundy and maroon.

Of the many links that popped up to the search for 'what is the difference between burgundy and maroon,' here is a chart that explains it pretty well:

View attachment 168159

Here is a color progression that shows color (families) on either side of burgundy and maroon, and where they lead as they move away from b and m:

View attachment 168160

As I was trying to move away from brown ribbons (I have plenty of brown-ribboned hats) to duplicate . . . no, not duplicate, but merely to 'honor' RM's hat, and his appeared to me to have a ribbon with more purple in it than brown, I chose burgundy. Not everyone's choice, obviously.

Thank you for bringing up the maroon thing, which allowed me to look into it further and learn something.
Great post about maroon and burgundy. I always wondered myself , now i know why i was seeing the difference.
B

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 168159

View attachment 168160

I picked up some cheap grosgrain a while ago, 100% polyester. I bought a Champ fedora with an incredibly bleached out charcoal (I would have said black a week ago) hat band. After stripping it and cleaning the Champ really well, I started draping some of my ribbon on the hat, and decided one I would have called burgundy or maroon looked great.
After buying cheap ribbon a while ago, here at the lounge, I learned that I needed vintage cotton/rayon ribbon to get a good swirl and follow the curve of the crown.
Shopping for that on eBay, I purchased a batch of five colors, one burgundy. It is definately more purple than my cheap ribbon, but also looks completely different on the Champ. It doesn't look good, when the other looks great.
I went back to shopping and found an online store with a huge inventory of vintage vintage ribbon, all named with their correct names from when they were made.
I critiqued the ribbon I have on a Stetson western I own, a light grey that has a tinge of pink. I was just showing off, because now I know that color is called Elephant. I didn't a few days ago. I saved that online store, but am on a diffetent devise right now.
You probably need took look at ribbon colors instead of more abstract color spectrums.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Moviehats

One of the Regulars
Funny enough, Dennis quaid's older brother, Randy, also played Doc Holliday in TV movie, 'Purgatory' (1999)
A unique thing, the real James gang was always made up mostly of sets of brothers, brothers-in-laws, & cousins. In the "Long Riders" the main characters were 4 sets of brothers playing brothers; the Keach's, Carradine's, Quaid's, & the Guest brothers.

PS: "The Long Riders" is a great movie but it's not very accurate in the telling. There's one major flaw in the telling that if you know it, can be hard to overlook.

Last edited:
The portrayal of Jesse as the leader or the true motivation of Ford's murder of Jesse or?
Just got back home BB.

Biggest flaw in the timeline as told in "The Long Riders" centers around the Miller Bros. The James Gang was really three distinct gangs over time. Clell Miller (Randy Quaid) was a member of the second gang joining in 1871 at the age of 22. (He had joined Quantrill & served under Anderson at the age of 14, was captured & served time at the Gartiot Street Prison in St. Louis). Clell was killed instantly during the bank robbery at Northfield, MN, 1876 at the age of 26. Ed Miller (Dennis Quaid) was the youngest of all the Miller boys & was 7 yrs younger than Clell. He didn't join the gang until its 3rd rendition in 1879 & well after Clell's death. The Miller brothers were never in the gang together & neither brother could have participated in the first bank robbery at Liberty, MO in 1866 as portrayed. Jesse killed Ed Miller in 1881 just a month after Ed avoided a 10 yr prison sentence by turning evidence on the gang. Ed was 24 yrs old. His remains were never found.

Jesse James himself was not present at the first bank robbery at Liberty, MO in 1866 as portrayed in The Long Riders. He was still convalescing in either Rulo, NE or Harlem, MO from the chest wound from being shot in the lung at the end of the war. Credit for orchestrating the original gang & first robbery go to Frank James & Cole Younger.

As a side note, I have an ancestor in my line of uncles who died during the war in the Gartiot Street Prison from gunshot wounds while awaiting transfer to the federal prison in Alton, IL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112