Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies about the French Resistance, any suggestions?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
It’s not exclusively about the resistance by any means, but The Longest Day gives what I always felt was a very good treatment of the French Resistance.

“John has a long mustache, I repeat John has a long mustache.”

-Dave

Blackjack

One Too Many
I forgot about the Longest Day, terrific movie! A friend of mine has recently started doing WWII re-enacting and has been trying to get me interested. He was saying that they're short on french resistance fighters so I thought I'd look into it a bit.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Gives you an excellent opportunity to stroll around in trenchcoat, basque beret and bobysocks (See 'allo 'allo) "...listen carefully, I will say this only once" :)

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
As everybody elses losses.
I think many italian families - who lost their loved ones - are just ar fed up with the "jokes" about italians as some of you americans are pretty fed up with the jokes about America came too late to two wars and still believe they won it all.
That's about it.
Let me get this straight. The Italian military of WWII should be forgiven their aggression, we shoudln't make jokes or speak unkindley of them and we should honor their war dead? Is this how you feel?

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I do not see any reason why I should give you ANYTHING straight, since you obviously see it as your main purpose in life to stir up fights here. Especially with me.
I will - however - not give you the satisfaction to sink to your level of narrow-minded, nationalistic bull....
Have a good day!

Talbot

One Too Many
Any film about Nancy Wake, the woman the Gestapo called 'The White Mouse'.

Companion of the Order of Australia
George Medal
Officier de la Légion d'Honneur
Croix de guerre (France)
Presidential Medal of Freedom (United States)
RSA Badge in Gold (New Zealand)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Wake

Nancy Wake's story was told in a 1987 telemovie, Nancy Wake, which was released as True Colors in the USA. She was played by Australian actress Noni Hazlehurst.

Her only regret is she didn't kill more Nazi's....

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Any film about Nancy Wake, the woman the Gestapo called 'The White Mouse'.

Companion of the Order of Australia
George Medal
Officier de la Légion d'Honneur
Croix de guerre (France)
Presidential Medal of Freedom (United States)
RSA Badge in Gold (New Zealand)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Wake

Nancy Wake's story was told in a 1987 telemovie, Nancy Wake, which was released as True Colors in the USA. She was played by Australian actress Noni Hazlehurst.

Her only regret is she didn't kill more Nazi's....

Talbot, very good call. An extraordinary woman.

There's been a few excellent books on her as well, including her own autobiography.

Her bravery was beyond belief.

the hairy bloke

Familiar Face
I must admit that I would not rely on movies to look at such a complex issue as the resistance to German occupation, in France (two exceptions below). There were those who welcomed the Germans as a weapon against "communism". Yet many of the French Far-right also hated the "Bosche" so much that they formed the core of the Resistance, while paid-up members of the CP were ordered by Stalin to put up with it.

The two exceptions: the first i cannot remember the title of, but it starred Michael Caine as an elderly ex-fascist (I forget the term) on the run, hiding out in various friendly monestries. Secondly, the affore mentioned "'Allo Allo". Rene is trying to a) stay alive; b) keep his family and business intact; and cc) keep his honour intact. In that order.

My guess is that it would have been the same in Britain, had Sealion succeeded (it was, in the Channel Isles).

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Not frensh resistance - but Belgian. Can't remember the title of the TV series - Lifeline maybe...or something.
Downde allied pilots way out to freedom. The whole thing was run from a Cafe.
'allo'allo got their inspiration from this great - and very serious - series.

Edit: Secret Army was the title - from the late 70s.
Read more here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075579/

I only remember I was stuck infront of the TV set every sunday night, when it was on.

Last edited:

Raider

One of the Regulars
Am I the only one who thinks "Casa Blanca" is the greatest movie ever?! No special effects, black and white, and the greatest lines ever written. "Louie, this looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship." "Round up the usual suspects." "That is my least vulnerable spot."

Last edited:

Fitzcarraldo

New in Town
A Self-Made Hero:

Set in France at the end of World War II Albert Dehousse finds out his father wasn't a war hero and his mother is a collaborator. He leaves his wife and goes to Paris. Gradually he inveigles himself with the resistance movement. They trust him and he helps them trace collaborators

images

PBI1944

New in Town
Most of the t.v. / movie themes have been answered, but I would suggest a book, FIRE FROM THE FOREST By Ken Ford. Available from Amazon.com. The SAS worked closely with the French resistance, specifically the groups operating in Limouge, the Cherbourg peninsula and on the DZ's used by the SAS for parachute (reinforcement) drops.

Regards,
Mick

-------------------------------
Somewhere in Normandy 1944 ....
1st Bn., The Rifle Brigade 7th British Armoured Division
http://www.theriflebrigade.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo